Need a little advice again

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2010, 08:01 AM
*Crystal*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok Most of you know I am on the dairy free and soy free diet. His doctor asked me to go on the diet because DS had mucus in his stool (no blood at all.. they tested twice) and a reoccurring diaper rash. I was on the diary free diet for over a month and the soy free for two and a half weeks (with one hiccup a week and a half ago). The mucus got a little better but was still there. The diaper rash ended up being a yeast rash and we needed the special cream to get it cleared... It's all better now. Anyways, I went off the diet two days ago to see what happened... since I was still seeing mucus and his doctor said to go back to eating normal if the diet wasn't getting results. The mucus has now increased... it went from "It looks like there is some mucus in this diaper" to "yea there is some mucus in this diaper"... It isn't piles of mucus like it had been in the past. He has also been the happiest I have ever seen him in the last few days. His sitter even commented on it yesterday. Every time you look at him he gets this huge smile and laughs out loud. He hasn't been fussy at all. So it is not like he is experiencing pain or discomfort. I am so confused.. What do you guys think? Do I go back on the diet to lower the bit of mucus in his poops or since that is the only symptom do you think I should go back to eating normal? I don't want to damage his digestive system.

He has been feeding like crazy at night... cluster feeding all night long. He wants to eat all the time but during the day it is easier to distract him. Is it possible the mucus is from overfeeding?
January 29th, 2010, 08:20 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, I think it's something other than your diet that is causing it.

Here is some info I found..
If there is an unusually large amount of mucus in a baby's stool, a virus might be the culprit. Many times the only symptom of a virus in a baby is a green mucus stool. Teething can also cause green mucus stools. Babies drool excessively, which causes an increase in saliva and can result in an irritation in the intestines, which can produce green, runny, acidic stools that may contain mucus.

It is probably that most, if not all, of the mucus is coming from what she swallows and goes unchanged through her intestine. The green color comes from the fact that intestinal contents come through rapidly and the green color of the bile, which is put in the intestine just below the stomach, doesn't have time to change to the usual yellow or light brown color. I think you will find that when she is given solid foods the pace of the contents through the intestine will slow down, the color will change and probably the mucus will disappear. If I were her pediatrician that is what I would suggest, starting with rice cereal and apple sauce and gradually increasing the amount of solid foods.

I also read it can be an allergy to something other than your diet, like a dog or a cat. What happens, is because babies are too young to blow their nose, they end up swallowing a lot of mucus, and it doesn't all digest. Thus a mucus diaper.

Also read that it can take several weeks to run it's course after new treatments are tried. So, now that you are back to a normal diet, it might take a couple of weeks to run it's course. If it's not bothering him and there isn't blood, I'd eat normally and see if it's teething, or just runs it's course.

January 29th, 2010, 08:31 AM
He does seem to be teething because he has been drooling up a storm. I guess that could be it.. They haven't really been green though.

I guess you are right too that it could be the dogs or the cat.

It is all so frustrating! At least he is gaining weight really well and is in a good mood.
January 29th, 2010, 08:33 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not sure on that. But it does sound like something other than your diet.

I hope it clears up soon

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

January 29th, 2010, 08:57 AM
*Hayley*
if he is thriving and not in pain, i would just let it ride. consult your doc before you do that though. GL!
January 29th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Snowpeas
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Hayley* View Post
if he is thriving and not in pain, i would just let it ride. consult your doc before you do that though. GL!
January 29th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My midwife had me on a limited diet for the first 6 weeks after I had Cole and I have partially continued it, as far as the dairy is concerned...what else have you eliminated from your diet? The things that my midwife had me completely eliminate were: milk/dairy, peanuts, caffeine, spicy and/or acidic foods and alcohol.

I have since reintroduced peanuts and caffeine and tried the dairy but it doesn't agree with either of us, so we are adapting a dairy-free lifestyle which is fine since I'm already used to shopping/cooking that way because DS1 has a milk allergy and DH's childhood milk allergy is resurfacing and I believe DD might be sensitive as well although her symptoms of allergy are different from her both her brothers and her dad
January 29th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I was just eliminating soy and milk. I don't drink caffeine or alcohol. I don't eat peanuts because DH is allergic and I am now avoiding red meat because I really think that is part of what he is reacting too.
January 29th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a friend whose baby girl reacted to her eating meat, it made her tummy all funky...if you eat something and it makes your tummy funky, you can bet that it's going to do that to his tummy, too. It's best to just have the most bland diet as possible for about a week then reintroduce things one at a time to find the culprit, it's a hard process to do but once you find the food(s) that bother him, you can avoid them easily. Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search