Our trip to the ER

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Mama2EZ's Avatar Super Mommy
Yesterday began like any other day. We played and Ezra was getting better at tummy time. He started to fuss like he wanted to nurse. As soon as we laid down he refused to latch on and began crying hysterically. I remembered the post about everyone babies getting a little fussy as they began teething. So I tried to stay calm. After about an hour and half of not being able to calm him or nurse with him, I called his doctor. I thought they would tell me to give him Tylenol...maybe just bring him in real quick to get a look. No, instead they told me to take him to the ER. That made me panic and it became a little scary.
Ezra slept in the car on the way there. My sister was telling to pull over and make sure he wasn't unconcious, which just freaked me out even more. By the time we made it there he was smiling and laughing. I nursed him in the waiting room...figures. I have insurance, but I was thinking what a waste of money.

In the end and two ER doctors later, they told me he was fine. He probably was upset about some pain that he can't describe. They told us to watch for signs of one thing it might be. Something about his intestines overlapping, but there wasn't a high chance.

Should I be disappointed that my doctor sent us to the ER in the middle of a weekday? I have to admit, even if she was busy, I'm a little ticked. At the very least she could have told me they just wanted him checked and didn't have the time. I am a new mommy.
Ezra Ray 7lb. 7oz. born at 4:20

January 29th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Snowpeas
I've found the same thing with Olivia's doctor. Every single time I call they tell me to take her to urgent care. It drives me nuts because they never want to fit her in.

I am a lot more assertive now and insist on talking with the nurse and having her explain what she thinks it could be, why she wants her to go the urgent care, etc and they've been doing a lot better job at explaining now. They even fit her in once, I was shocked.
January 29th, 2010, 11:25 AM
GinaS.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't be too pissed at the doctor. I'd rather be safe then sorry and go to the ER. Over an hour is a long time not to be able to calm down our LO's, so maybe your doc figured it was best, in case tests needed to be run.

But that's just me - I am always thinking the worse. Murphy's law usually applies to me! lol

Glad everything turned out OK though!!
January 29th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Amanda_Marie's Avatar Mommy to Owen
I would have been a little ticked ...maybe because a copay for a hospital visit is much more, the hospital is much farther, and the wait much longer. I think it's a lil odd that they did that.

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my beautiful siggy!
January 29th, 2010, 04:13 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad everything is OK. Better be safe than sorry but I would have been a little annoyed since they didn't find anything wrong with him

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

January 29th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
HUGS I would have been ticked also, I know my doc is busy but they at least have fit Elise in to see the nurse practitioner(sp)

January 29th, 2010, 05:20 PM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad to hear baby is okay and doing better. *comforting hugs*

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

January 29th, 2010, 10:00 PM
*Hayley*
wow! i would be FURIOUS that they didn't you in with at the very least another doctor at the practice. my doctor is awesome and very concerned about the well being of the boys and asks that I call in to let her know how they are doing even after follow-ups in the office just to be sure.

i'm so glad he seems to be ok!
January 30th, 2010, 05:38 PM
sunkissed_beachbabe's Avatar Veteran
What exactly were the signs they told you to look for with the chance of the intestines overlapping? Sevrina has been extremely fussy for quite a while now. im talking ear piercing crying off and on all day long. It has been going on for about a month now. They have changed here formula from Similac to Isomil which is a soy formula, in hopes that it might help because she was very constipated (only pooping like every few days) and she seemed really bloated and gassy. Since they have switched her formula about 2 weeks ago she has been tooting a lot more so the doc said she was probably having trouble releasing her gas with the Similac. She is still very unhappy. Dont get me wrong she smiles constantly but if she isnt smiling she is screaming at the top of her lil lungs. Its either hot or cold all day long! Im sooo exhausted im going insane. You have probably seen my other posts about the procedures she needed to have for the cyst on her umbilical cord (which turned out fine) and the pilonidal dimple which I dont think this has anything to do with that. Im at a lost.

Last edited by sunkissed_beachbabe; January 30th, 2010 at 05:40 PM.
January 31st, 2010, 03:00 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad to hear he is ok.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search