Has anyone's baby had RSV? & part vent...

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2010, 06:37 PM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was sick really badly last week with what we think was Bronchitis. My dr is an idiot and when i went in early to get it taken care of before it got bad, she prescribed NOTHING based on what she saw and not what I told her I was feeling. This was Thursday before last, by Friday I was like, this is no joke...i'm really sick so she called in Amoxicillin and Prednisone (not the series kind). By Saturday my throat was swollen & red with white bumps on the back of my tongue so the symptoms had moved from deep down in my chest to up in my throat and sinus. They checked for strep which was negative that Thurs and took a throat culture to send to the lab to see if it was viral or bacterial and what specifically it was. They called me on monday to tell me i didn't have strep and i nearly went off onthe girl saying they had already tested me for that while in office. Mind you, I had an appt that prior Friday but they FIT ME IN on Thursday and said not to be late. So I'm early for my 2:30pm appt and didn't get out til 4:30pm while I sat there forever waiting to go back and watching a parade of Pharmeceutical reps before being seen. All this time I had Ashlynn with me.

So my girlfriend who suffers from Chronic Bronchitis came by that Sunday and said to tell my Dr. to give me a zpack and the steroid series. Also, did i mention they didn't test me at all for H1N1 because they said they had no cases of the Flu in weeks. Ummm...I have a 3mo old for all intensive purposes since Ashlynn was born at 36 weeks. And when i called Monday and the lab results i was waiting on weren't anything more than a strep test (which I had already had in office that previous Thur).... they proceed to tell me they think I might have Mono because I'm getting worse and not better. REallly?!?! Maybe prescribe me something for respiratory viral issues and not a sore throat.

By Monday I had no symptom relief and had EVERY symptom you could imagine by this point. And all the while I'm wearing a mask at all times (had a box of 50 masks luckily), washing Ashlynn's bedding, boppy cover, clothes since I changed hers and mine constantly, I wiped everything with Clorox Wipes, sprayed Lysol, used Hand Sanitizer constantly. So from Thur - Thur I was very sick and I'm just now getting over it all and feeling back to normal as of about yesterday. But Ashlynn started to sound congested and seemed warm plus she didn't sleep through the night like she has been consistently doing. So I called her Pediatrician....

The Ped said to bring her in which I did yesterday (Thur) and they swabbed her nose to test for RSV. I called this morning and it came back Positive and I'm supposed to take her in to see the Pediatrician in the morning at 9:30am. Did I mention it's been cold and rainy but supposedly tomorrow should be dry and a little warmer but not much warmer.

I'm so worried and want to make sure I'm doing everything I can. We have been using a nasal aspirator and cool mist humidifier. Infant Tylenol when she gets really fussy. I can tell she doesn't feel well and has a little bit of a chest cough. I took her in the bathroom earlier and ran a steamy shower while patting her back to help break things up. I know I felt absolutely horrible and hadn't been that sick since 2006 so I want her to be okay and not to be uncomfortable.

If you have any experience with RSV and a little one so young, what did your Pediatrician do???

Thanks for listening and any advice.

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

January 29th, 2010, 07:02 PM
*Hayley*
we just got over rsv a couple weeks ago. me and both boys had it. my 2 year old did much worse than the baby and was on breathing treatments and an inhaler. the baby had a cough and was a little congested. our doc said to use a cool mist humidifier, and keep the nasal passages wet with saline drops and the nasal aspirator. rsv tends to be resistant to medicine and they often have to ride it out. gl, i hope your LO feels better soon. ps symptoms will most likely peak between days 3-5
January 29th, 2010, 08:06 PM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks girls. We've been doing the cool mist humidifier, saline nose drops with nasal aspirator (nosefrida & Graco). She isn't too bad at the moment I think because I took her in early before she started showing much congestion and her cough was just here and there. I'm watching her like a hawk and waking up every 2hrs to check her during the night. You can just tell she feels poopy.

Dr. said that since I was sick (I didn't know adults could get RSV?) & breastfeeding that my antibodies passing through my milk might help her a little. Not sure if that is true. Thank you for the input. It makes me feel a little better.

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

January 29th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Snowpeas
I am so mad for you at the way your doctor's office blew you off. Are you able to switch?

The important thing is how quickly she was diagnosed, before she had a chance to really get sick. I hope she feels better very soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search