Anyone ever consider adoption?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2010, 11:36 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I mean TO adopt, not to give up for adoption. lol
After the Haiti tragedy, dh and I were just heart broken. I just feel so sad for those families. Anyway, we got to talking about adopting one of the orphaned kids and sadly, we discovered Haiti has very strict guidelines for adoption and one of them is being you can't have any other children. Why, I have no idea, seems so dumb to me.

Anyway, anyone consider adopting? I think in a few years we're going to look into it more. Consider all our options of where we can and want to adopt from.
We figured we'd love one more, a boy, and I do NOT want to be pregnant (nor can I be anymore) and we'd prefer not to have a newborn. Maybe 3-4-5 year old and this way a little kid gets a family and love.

February 1st, 2010, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I know.. But I also think each child is different anyway. There are A LOT of differences between my 3 girls, so I'd assume a 4th would be different as well.
I'm more concerned aobut the cost of adoption. I know it's not cheap.

February 1st, 2010, 12:15 PM
Is it? I'm petrified I'd get attached and they'd place the kid back with the bio parents, etc.. Have you fostered and had them taken?

February 1st, 2010, 12:39 PM
*Hayley*
we've talked about it. it is something we will consider when our youngest biological child is 5 and we'll talk about adopting a 2-3-4 year old. i've also considered being a surrogate. DH is a little scared about it though, so I don't know if it's something I'll be able to do.
February 1st, 2010, 12:48 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
We had actually very seriously considered it because we didn't think we were going to be able to have children of our own. We were going to foster to adopt because we couldn't afford regular adoption fees and figured it would be nice to get a kid out of the foster care system because it's so overloaded.

I have a feeling Haiti will be changing their adoption regulations in the wake of the earthquake. They don't have the means to support even half of the orphans there. They're going to have to do something or those children aren't going to survive long term.

February 1st, 2010, 12:50 PM
My SIL adopted a little girl but it was different. She was family and was handed over by the Mom and signed away. Then they just had to go through the process, from foster to adoption and now it's official.

Can you specify if you want a boy or a girl if you foster? And can you specify age range? DH wants a boy, we're maxed out on girls. lol

February 1st, 2010, 12:53 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Yes, most foster care systems allow you to specify what you want. You can say you want an infant or an older child. I'm pretty sure you can specify boy or girl because you want what works best for your house and the bedrooms that you have.

February 1st, 2010, 01:31 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I would if I could afford it..

My dad was adopted in Germany by my Grandparents who were obviously Americans.. I have an aunt who was adopted from Iran as well. If it wasn't for my grandparents I wouldn't be where I am today.. I'm vary grateful..

February 1st, 2010, 01:46 PM
Mama2EZ's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes, we also tried for three years. I began telling my Mom that we were going to look into it and we were given up on officially trying. A week later I tested positive and now one year later Ezra is here.

I am still considering adoption, but I feel as though Ezra will be a little older b4 we do that. We were looking into the foster to adopt. There are good and bad things to consider with each type of adoption. I interviewed for an adoption agency (to work). It was incredibly interesting to find out how difficult adoption is, but how gratifying once the family is together. Plus, how the ups and downs of international adoption differs from domestic.

You should begin researching now, because when you two get serious you'll have all the facts to make the best decision for your family.

People who adopt are amazing and I give you props just for thinking about it.
Ezra Ray 7lb. 7oz. born at 4:20

February 1st, 2010, 01:54 PM
Susan, we're really hoping they change their policies now. I just can't stop thinking about those poor kids, parents. They had over 300,000 orphans BEFORE the earthquake, I can only imagine what they will have now.

I was doing some research and it just all seems so overwhelming. SOOOO many rules, which I know makes sense but also makes me fear putting ourself through so much just for heartache.
So expensive.. I just don't think we could afford straight out adoption and I haven't looked into fostering. I'm not sure how it works, so it scares me. I'm not sure how long the fostering process is.

February 1st, 2010, 01:59 PM
Snowpeas
I have family who are starting the adoption process. My heart goes out to all those helpless, innocent children that need parents to love them. If I could I would adopt them all. Financially though we just can't afford to have any other children, at least at this time.
February 1st, 2010, 05:14 PM
Wow Vesta, that's sad. I wonder why so many girls are in foster care? It'll be a couple of years, we'd like to add on another room before going ahead with this.

February 1st, 2010, 07:36 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We certainly will be once the girls are a bit older.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

February 2nd, 2010, 08:26 AM
Genevieve's_mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, one day down the road we will be adopting. (:

thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
x2 http://www.punky-kinboutique.webs.com (enter 'Summer' to recieve 10% off entire order, $30.00 or more)
<marquee

REQUEST A SIGGY: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...ests-open.html
SIGGY GALLERY: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...y-gallery.html</marquee>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search