Breastfeeding Mamas and teeth

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2010, 09:54 AM
Mama2EZ's Avatar Super Mommy
New mamas - Are you beginning to think about what teeth and nursing will be like? Are your LO's starting to bite down harder now?

BTDT mamas - Is it painful? I read that if you are nursing correctly then they shouldn't be able to bite your nipple. Is this true?
Ezra Ray 7lb. 7oz. born at 4:20

February 2nd, 2010, 10:40 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I never made it to the point of teething with DS so I'm wondering how it will be with Jillian. I am worried that she'll bite but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

February 2nd, 2010, 10:47 AM
*Hayley*
it hurts like hell when they use your nipple as a teether, but like Ashley said if you take them off as soon as they are done eating and don't allow them to hang out you probably won't be bit
February 2nd, 2010, 11:23 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm only planning to breastfeed to 6 months - so hopefully will miss out on the teeth part. If I was a SAHM, I would breastfeed longer, but pumping at work really sucks. I think I'm really going to miss it though!

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
February 2nd, 2010, 12:00 PM
Snowpeas
I bf dd for 18 months and she only bit me on purpose once and accidentally a few times. It hurt like the dickens but I told her (okay shouted 'cause it hurt) no that she hurt mommy a lot and she never did it on purpose again.

They can't bite you when actively nursing as the tongue covers the teeth, it's when they're done nursing or almost at the end of the nursing session that they can play around and start biting. When she would bite, even accidentally, I would unlatch her and she couldn't have anymore milk until it was time to nurse again. She was extra careful after that.

When they're getting their teeth in and their mouth hurts it can change their latch and that can be a little uncomfortable but it usually doesn't last very long.

All in all nursing a baby with teeth or teething isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
February 2nd, 2010, 01:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I am afraid of when elise starts getting teeth

February 2nd, 2010, 03:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't find it that bad with my first. Same as others she did it when she was really done anyway. Also I would say "ouch" very loud and pull her off. If she WASN'T done she would fuss and we'd go back to it. She never had teeth until 8 months though, but I went about 14 months nursing.
February 2nd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
teeth make me nervous! but ill make sure to unlatch her when she is done, bc she does play now when she is done and i dont want her to think she can bite me.

February 2nd, 2010, 06:57 PM
Mama2EZ's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh thank you everyone for your replies. It's good to have this heads up. Right now Ez thinks my nipple is elastic. I don't want him to think it is a chew toy.
Ezra Ray 7lb. 7oz. born at 4:20

February 4th, 2010, 04:28 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Breana got me once and I screamed cause it hurt so bad. She never did it again. I even scarred DH cause it was a shock and pain

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

February 5th, 2010, 01:53 PM
AllMyBlessings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If it's any consolation, my ds #2 got his first tooth when he was 3 months, and I nursed him up until he was 17 months. DS# 3 got his first tooth at 6 months, and I nursed him until he was 21 months. Usually it isn't too bad.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search