Allergist

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Has anyone had any experience with an Allergist?

I have a Allergist appointment for A.J on Friday and I have no idea what to expect.. I heard of the back thing they have to do.. I'm trying to get mentally prepared for that.. Anything else I should get ready for?

The reason why I'm going to an Allergist is because A.J has some severe eczema and cradle cap going on.. Went to the Dermatologist for the second time today and I had 2 doctors looking at him.. The first doctor said he's never seen it this bad.. I'm still doing the treatment they prescribed, but I want to know what may be triggering this..

February 20th, 2010, 04:39 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no experience but I hope it all goes well.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

February 20th, 2010, 07:32 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I lived at the allergist growing up. They had to do the several pricks on my back quite a few times...not as a baby though, the first time I think was when I was a toddler. Anyway....I started getting severe eczema as a baby and my mom had to cut out ALL dairy...and anything that had milk proteins in it, etc. She cut out the dairy and it went away....she accidently slipped and had something with even whey in it and I would get patches again.

Are you still breastfeeding? I know you're back to work so is AJ on formula, expressed BM, or both? I'm sorry that's all I have to offer. My allergist appts were all over 20 yrs ago so hopefully they have improved methods now. Good luck and I hope you figure something out soon and the poor little guy gets some relief. Eczema is NO fun. Keep us posted on the visit!
February 21st, 2010, 06:09 AM
Thank you so much for your response.. I'll make sure I keep you posted on what happens..

A.J is on some expressed BM but mostly organic formula.. I did switch to soy formula for almost 2 weeks and there was no improvement. I'm thinking the eczema is genetics, since my DH has super sensitive skin as well.. But I want to rule out allergies.. I've been to the dermatologist 2 times already.. We are on a new treatment and so far it's clearing it up.. One thing I've learned about all of this, there's no cure for eczema.. The trick is finding the way to calm it down and since A.J is so young, it's limited on what prescriptions they can use.. I also had one of the Pediatricians look at him and all she recommend was benadryl for the itching.. :/ The sad situation about this is I made the appointments with the dermatologist and I was not recommend to one by the peds office.. I'm just thankful my DH has such great insurance and I don't need referrals..

Here's a picture of my lil man with his flare up.. This was taken 2 days ago. The good news is, most of it has calmed down and as for the cradle cap, we are using Urea lotion and has made great improvement..

February 21st, 2010, 01:30 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poor little guy. I have no experience but I hope they can help.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

February 21st, 2010, 01:57 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OH man, AJ's is about twice as bad as Hugo's at his worst. We got him on a steroid cream starting at 3 mos. Then we had our allergy testing at 13 mos. after an anaphylactic shock. (So good thing you are going now, before something like that has to happen!! Our stupid ped wouldn't give us the referral and we had to wait for an ER trip to get one. )

When we went with Hugo, the back test they did for him was with drops and not pricks. Hopefully they can do that on AJ too. It's still horrible to have to hold them down for the procedure. All I can suggest is lots of cuddles and comfort before and after. If he has a comfort item I would let him hold it.

Hugo goes back on the 29th (March), but mostly just for a new Epi-Pen Rx.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

February 22nd, 2010, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo&Sergiosmom View Post
OH man, AJ's is about twice as bad as Hugo's at his worst. We got him on a steroid cream starting at 3 mos. Then we had our allergy testing at 13 mos. after an anaphylactic shock. (So good thing you are going now, before something like that has to happen!! Our stupid ped wouldn't give us the referral and we had to wait for an ER trip to get one. )

When we went with Hugo, the back test they did for him was with drops and not pricks. Hopefully they can do that on AJ too. It's still horrible to have to hold them down for the procedure. All I can suggest is lots of cuddles and comfort before and after. If he has a comfort item I would let him hold it.

Hugo goes back on the 29th (March), but mostly just for a new Epi-Pen Rx.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!
How scary! Poor Hugo. I'd be so furious too!!. Did the steroid cream heal up his eczema quickly? When we started steroid cream on A.J it helped when we put it on twice a day, but when we started to taper it off, it flared up big time.. I'm guessing there must be something triggering it.

And thank you for letting me know what to expect.. I will keep you updated..

Oh, and when you get your new Epi-Pen.. Ask for two pens.. Say you want one for home and one for the car (or your purse).. It's always good to have more then one pen..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellieB View Post
Poor little guy. I have no experience but I hope they can help.
I hope so too..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; February 22nd, 2010 at 09:39 PM.
February 24th, 2010, 02:26 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We actually have 4 Epi-Pens... getting 6 for when he starts preschool!! 2 in the house, 1 at each grandma's, the 2 main ones are each in a kit w/ Benadryl and his care plan and the other 2 are backups.

The steroid cream is the only thing that really helps, but Cortaid or even Eucerin/Aquaphor are ok in a pinch. Also, we have to use free & clear detergent, no fabric softener, and California Baby hygiene products. Johnsons, etc makes his skin so much worse.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search