car seat safety

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2010, 07:55 PM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i have a graco snugride carseat. i have been watching videos about making sure its installed correctly..Honus post about her new carseat reminded me to refresh myself. I came across this video for a carseat and it seems logical but now im scared of my car seat being crappy and not as safe.
Anti-Rebound Bar - Britax USA

anyways, i thought we could share car seat tips with each other, to remind each other of safety stuff........

for example ill start with the base should not move left or right or front to back more than 1 inch.

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

February 20th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Mama2EZ's Avatar Super Mommy
I will be going to the firehouse and having a certified car seat person show me how to safely put him in there next week. It is amazing how many people (with good intentions) don't know how to correctly put there seat in.

The manual for this new carseat is overwhelming and confusing. I had a friend look at it today and she had to fix a few things. It is so scary.
Ezra Ray 7lb. 7oz. born at 4:20

February 20th, 2010, 09:31 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
When using an infant carseat you should always make sure the handle is down when you are driving.

Children shouldn't wear snowsuits or thick jackets/coats while buckled into their carseats. They could compress on impact of an accident making the straps too lose which wouldn't restrain your child properly.

February 21st, 2010, 04:41 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You have to make sure the fire station was trained on how to do it. Cops aren't trained.

The biggest mistake I see people make is the clasp in the center, it needs to be at boob level on the baby and I see a lot have it in the middle of the stomach.

February 21st, 2010, 04:50 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Make sure the chest clip is in the proper position.. The chest clip is a pre-crash postitioner. It is designed to break away or slide down in a crash. It's job is to keep the harness straps on the shoulders and it needs to be armpit level... Basiclly, if the chest clip breaks and the straps are not tighten right, the child may not stay in the seat during a crash. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post
When using an infant carseat you should always make sure the handle is down when you are driving.
The Chicco Key fit infant car seats can be up or down just as long as the handle is in the lock position..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; February 21st, 2010 at 04:58 AM.
February 21st, 2010, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrover0216 View Post
I hate to say this but many fire stations and police officers do not know how to install it safely either!
I went to my local hospital to get Addie's Recaro seat checked out and make sure it was installed correctly.. The guy didn't know how to install it because he's never seen that seat before.. He re-installed it and messed it all up.. We ended up installing it again when I got home.. lol

I know Recaro just started making convertible car seats 3 years ago... But it's not that hard to install it.. lol

February 21st, 2010, 05:31 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
they say to put the shade down as well. you should only be able to get 2 fingers thru the chest thing that way you know you have it tight enough

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

February 21st, 2010, 05:44 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What's the point of having a shade if it can't be up? lol I have my handle up and the shade. The handle has toys that she plays with and without the shade she screams because of the sun.

February 21st, 2010, 11:55 AM
CriscoNinja
That video now makes me wonder if I bought the right seat. *sigh* And I thought I did my research. We just got Izzy a MyRide 65 by Graco...
February 21st, 2010, 02:52 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Regularly check to make sure it doesn't move more than it should. They can become loose over time.

Always read and keep the manual! Every car seat is different.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

February 21st, 2010, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriscoNinja View Post
That video now makes me wonder if I bought the right seat. *sigh* And I thought I did my research. We just got Izzy a MyRide 65 by Graco...
I've read that MyRide is a great seat.. Britax is a good seat, but I would never purchase one.. I love my Recaro Signo.

The most important thing is having the seat installed correctly and the child properly fastened in the seat..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; February 21st, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
February 24th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Mama2EZ's Avatar Super Mommy
I called our local firehouse and they directed me to a website that has a list of times and places that a certified car safety person would be there. It was cool, because he checked to see if our used graco infant seat had been recalled. He had a list handy. Plus, he was able to tell us a lot about our car and how to safely install it in our car. I would suggest that if you are worried to go to a certified safety seat person. Once you have then it will be easy, but with a peace of mind.
Ezra Ray 7lb. 7oz. born at 4:20

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search