Help

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2010, 10:12 AM
*Hayley*
How do you get your kids to take medicine?

Abe will NOT take any medicine. He's spitting out everything. I've tried blowing in his face after putting the medicine in (someone told me that makes them swallow), I've tried putting in the medicine and then shoving a paci in his mouth, I've tried putting medicine in bottle, but he just REFUSES to take it. Any tips? TIA!
February 24th, 2010, 10:57 AM
GinaS.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, Bella takes Zantac and HATES it. It smells pretty rank so I can imagine how it tastes. So what I usually do is squirt it into the back of her mouth with the syringe and then shove her bottle in her mouth for a second until she swallows a few gulps. She usually never spits any out because she's all about the bottle. Hope this helps. If not, have you asked your pharmacist to flavor it? I know they do grape flavor for meds, so that may be an idea - I'm just not sure if they do it for infants - but Tylenol is flavored, so I don't see why they wouldn't....
February 24th, 2010, 11:38 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Abby use to spit everything out too and it was so frustrating!!! Now, I do it in 4 squirts, Put it to one side way in the back of her mouth..like where molars would be and squirt just a tiny bit, take it out, repeat. Works really well.

February 24th, 2010, 12:07 PM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
put the medicine in an oral syringe, place it in the back corner of the baby's mouth and shoot the medicine in. Baby has to swallow. That's how we've gotten all of my girls to take medicine as infants. the syringe is so far back into their mouth (near where the back molars would be) that they can't spit it out.

February 24th, 2010, 03:57 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no advice but I would think doing it in spurts and putting in the back of the mouth should work

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

February 24th, 2010, 07:17 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have many different tips since we're force feeding.

The easiest is to just squirt the medicine to the back of his throat
if that doesn't work
have a pacifier handy, do a little squirt and then pop the binky in and let him suck a couple of times and he should swallow. Repeat until done.

The most awful and traumatizing, which we have had to resort to since now that we've been FF for so long nothing else works..
is to make him cry. ugh. I know. awful. If Parker is crying.. he WILL swallow anything that is in his mouth.
I also hold him while doing it in a cradle position and tilt his head back a little

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

February 24th, 2010, 09:20 PM
*Hayley*
I got the antibiotic in almost entirely this evening, but then he spit out all of the prilosec. He also starting spitting up dried blood today but his spit up has been SO acidic the past couple days it doesn't surprise me. The doctor said to just keep trying to get him to take it. When we'd give him the pacifier he would just hold his mouth open. This kid knows to taste what is IN the bottle before opening his mouth to fully accept hte nipple. He is driving me INSANE. Why can't he do ANYTHING without being incredibly difficult?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search