Sleeping Vent

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just need to vent a little about Claire's sleep (I know, not the first time, right?!?!).

Claire is over 4 months old now and has yet to sleep through the night- not even close. The best she's ever done was to wake up twice a night. Once at 3 am to eat and once around 5 am to come sleep with us. That only lasted 2 weeks. Usually we're up with her a minimum of 4 times a night. It's been this way since she was born. She has a cold right now, so of course it's even worse. I feel like I am the only one still up this often.

What I don't understand is that for naps and bedtime we can lay her down fully awake and most of the time she will fall asleep after a few minutes without a peep. At bedtime we can even lay her down without a pacifier! So if she can fall asleep on her own, why is she still waking so often at night? What are we doing wrong or missing here?

Like I've mentioned before, Ella was never a great sleeper either, though at this point she was giving us some 8-5's. I thought we paid our dues with a bad sleeper...I am just so frustrated and tired of being tired all the time!
February 26th, 2010, 08:32 AM
CriscoNinja
Not sleeping sucks. I'm not sure what advice I have for you, my first son was a horrid sleeper and was up every 2 hrs all night for about 11 months... My 2nd daughter slept like a rock and now with #3 it's kind of both? lol She STTN at 2 months for about 4 weeks and then BAM she got a cold and now we're up 2+ times a night. Luckily she just nurses and goes back to sleep.

I'm hoping someone has some sage wisdom here since I'd love to use it too!

I hope you get to nap at least during the day? I hope things get better! The only advice I can think of are the obvious things, like white noise, or maybe a night light...
February 26th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
No naps here...my toddler is very hit or miss with the naps and on the days she does nap of course Claire won't!

We do use the Woombie and white noise with her. I'll have to give the nightlight a try though, I think we have an extra somewhere...
February 26th, 2010, 09:08 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Well if she's even getting a 5 hour stretch that's considered sleeping through the night.

I'm up quite a bit with Jillian too. It does suck sometimes but I guess it comes with the territory. DS was never a good sleeper. He is 2 1/2 and he still doesn't sleep through the night. I figure it all comes with the territory and won't last forever

Would you consider co sleeping? Maybe she just wants to be near you. If it gets you more sleep it might be worth it.

February 26th, 2010, 09:11 AM
*Hayley*
are you still nursing at night? do you turn lights on at night when she wakes up or change her diaper? these may all be reasons she won't put herself back to sleep at night. things need to stay dark and quiet and you should let her fuss for a while on her own before you go get her, if you don't already. Don't change her diaper unless she has poop, offer her a paci instead of your breast for every other night feeding unless you think she needs to continue eating at night.
February 26th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
HUGS, just remeber it will get better

February 26th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I don't think your doing anything wrong.. Just make sure you stick with your routine and eventually she'll fall into a routine.. I wouldn't advice bringing them to bed with you though.. Just when she wakes up, fed her and put her back into bed.. Do you swaddle? We swaddle as long as we can.. This helped us alot, with both of my kids..

I've seen this formula at the store.. It's designed to help babies feel fuller at night.. Maybe give this a try..

Bedtime Feedings - Enfamil

Oh, there's a 2 year old in my DD playroom that doesn't take naps during the day.. But the mom makes her 2 year old have quite time.. She just puts him in his room and he just plays.. This gives her time to relax and take care of her infant..

February 26th, 2010, 10:23 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most babies don't sleep through the night at 4 months. Kayla slept through the night at 2 weeks, Emily not until 6 months. Abby is still not a pattern, some nights it's all night, others she's up 1-3 times a night. So much goes on in their little minds and bodies it's almost impossible to do the same thing each night for them.
Some kids don't sleep well at all and are still waking at night at age of 4.

February 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am up 2-3 times with Xander at night. He is still nursing but he goes back to sleep.

I hope it gets better for you soon

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

February 26th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Veteran
Send a message via ICQ to Preggersforthefirsttime
I know that many of you may be opposed to this but when Madison was about 4 months old I started sleep training her. I spoke to her pediatrician and she had positive experiences with it, including her own 3 children. Before I started it with Madison she wasn't going to bed until around 11 and then would wake up about every 2 hours after that. Since my husband isn't here and I was her only source of food, it was exhausting to say the least. I knew going into the training that she should have been able to go at least 3 hours between feedings. The first night I let her cry it out which didn't go on too long. By the second night it was reduced by half and then the third night she barely cried at all. Also by the third she was sleeping completely through the night. I also started moving her bed time up 30 minutes until I got to 7, which seems to be the perfect time for her. Now she sleeps from about 6:30/7 till 7 am straight. I'm not sure how opposed to it you would be, but I would highly suggest letting her fuss for a little before going in to get her.
February 26th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
She's only had a handful of 5 hour stretches...ever. Most nights she's down by 7:30, up at 10:30, 12 and 1:30 for pacifier, eat at 2 or 3, up at 4 or 5 to come in to bed with us. Up for the day by7ish.

She is now only FF, so at least DH can split feeds with me.
February 26th, 2010, 12:44 PM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
sorry you're not getting a good night's sleep. Catie still wakes up in the middle of the night to nurse also. Some nights are good (she'll go 5-6 hours) and other nights she's waking every 2 hours to feed. Is there anyway you can nap during the daytime, when she naps?

February 26th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Peytonsmomma
mine is the same! she is up every hour - two hours and that's been since birth, i may look into that good night sleep tight book, b/c somethin's gotta give! tottally understand your frustration!
February 26th, 2010, 04:23 PM
jesicaRN
I too, also did CIO method--but modified.
I would let her cray for 15 min...go in lights off give paci turn on soothing music and rub tummy. we slowly increased making her cry it out by 5 min increments. it took roughly 3 days or so, and she never wakes up during night except when sick. if she gets off schedule it takes one night of doing this again it she is back on schedule. I wouldn't talk when I went in the room...and also decreased what I did, like rubbing tummy, etc.
February 26th, 2010, 04:31 PM
*Crystal*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can TOTALLY understand. Breckin is a pretty terrible sleeper as well. He had about two weeks where he would sleep 3.5-5 hours straight in his crib, then he would come to bed with us and sleep through the rest of the night. He is teething now so he is sleeping only an hour or so at a time and it is horrible!! I can feel your pain. I really hope it gets better for you
February 27th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to msbritt86
Same here! Is seems to go in stretches i will go 2 weeks with Ellie sleeping 4 or so hours first then up every 2 for me to go in and give her her binky! Last two nights she only got up once to eat and once for a bink tho.. so hang in there!

Thanks to Heather aka Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my awesome siggy!!!
Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search