My first day back at work

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2010, 06:47 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't worked since the end of June. We had our summer break and then I did the following: medical leave, maternity leave, bonding with child leave. So I had to go back on Friday. Where do I begin? I hate hate hate the city where I work. It's a poophole and the drivers don't know the rules of the road. It's the only place I've been where people like to drive on the shoulder regularly so that they don't need to merge in with traffic like the rest of us. I used to block them by moving my car slightly into the shoulder, but you never know what pissed off drivers will do. So I see 2 cars do this. I get to work and find out there is an assembly each period because there was a huge fight yesterday. I guess it was massive...basically a mob. Other schools were calling ours asking if we needed people sent for backup. Guess who 2 of the main culprits were. Two of my students of course. I get to meet them after their suspension is over. Yipee. The long term sub shows me their 1st semester grades which are mostly Ds and Fs. They start doing a warm up on contrived and realistic scenarios and many cannot figure out that a child sneaking on the spaceship of the 1st launch to the moon is not realistic. They say things like, "Well she can hide. She'll get enough oxygen."I go to a parents conference with the long term sub and we are thinking that the mom wants to discuss her daughter's failing grades. Nope...mom wants to complain about why her daughter has gotten so many detentions. She has had four 10 min detentions since the beginning of the school year. The sub told her about the grades and mom really didn't care. She did the song and dance of where is your work, but not an ounce of disappointment. Well, maybe she was upset and I couldn't tell because like 9 out of 10 parents at that school, she didn't speak English.Now comes the sad part of my day, which makes all of the above seem trivial and gives me no right to complain. I found out that the counselor had a stillborn at 5 months. I also found out that my partner teacher will be off for a month because her 1 year old is having medical issues. He had breathing issues when he was born, but seemed to be doing fine. I haven't talked to her for a week or two and had no idea. I still don't know what is wrong, but it must be bad for her to take a leave.So that was it. I missed my son terribly, but he was with grandma. It made leaving him much easier.
February 27th, 2010, 08:54 PM
*Hayley*
Going back to work and leaving your child when you really don't care for your job must be a nightmare. Can you get a job at a different school in the district? One where there wouldn't be as much violence. T&Ps for your coworkers going through a hard time.
February 28th, 2010, 01:27 AM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wish it had gone better for you.

How did Billy go away from you all day?

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

February 28th, 2010, 08:02 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow you had a day.
How did Billy do?

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

February 28th, 2010, 08:19 AM
*Crystal*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow.. What a day!! As a teacher myself I can totally feel for you. It kills me how some parents treat their children's education. I hope it gets better for you and your friends.

It is very similar to my first day.. One of my students was expelled for bringing a knife to school, the long term sub had a horrible time with my first block class and had given up on them so they were running wild. They also had mostly Ds and Fs and I had to call parents since my sub hadn't (she did a horrible job).
February 28th, 2010, 09:54 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, doesn't sound like a great place to work. I can't understand parents who don't want or make their kids give 100% in school. Kayla lost all tv rights during the week because she had a C+ in health! The rest were A's and B's but I don't care, she can bring it up or not get tv back.. her choice.
How did Billy do while you were gone?

February 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks ladies. Billy had a rough time at my m-i-l's, but it was most likely due to teething. ************************************************** ********

I really have a hard time understanding some parents. How could you not be angry when your child is failing all classes and it's due to not turning in work? I remember when one parent asked me for advice on what to do about her son. I was informed that, instead of doing homework, he would play his video games. I told her to take away the games until he raised his grades. I am not lying to you when she almost started crying at the thought of having to take something away from her son. She took in a deep breath and said, "Okay. I'm going to do that." You would've thought it was the most difficult thing she had ever had to do with her son. I wanted to smack her and say, "What the heck is wrong with you woman! Are you that afraid of upsetting you son?"*************************

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Hayley* View Post
Going back to work and leaving your child when you really don't care for your job must be a nightmare. Can you get a job at a different school in the district? One where there wouldn't be as much violence. T&Ps for your coworkers going through a hard time.
There usually isn't violence like this. Sure there are the fights here and there, but nothing like what happened on Thursday. As for leaving the district, now would be the worst time. Teachers are losing jobs in CA and I have just enough seniority to keep me safe.
February 28th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Crystal* View Post
Wow.. What a day!! As a teacher myself I can totally feel for you. It kills me how some parents treat their children's education. I hope it gets better for you and your friends.

It is very similar to my first day.. One of my students was expelled for bringing a knife to school, the long term sub had a horrible time with my first block class and had given up on them so they were running wild. They also had mostly Ds and Fs and I had to call parents since my sub hadn't (she did a horrible job).
Thanks. Sorry you had such a horrible sub. Mine was great. She really did work hard.
February 28th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
HUGS, I hope you can turn it around that is a rough 1st day back

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search