how did you make your decision on

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2010, 04:43 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
formula or to breast feed?

I don't want a debate. I am not saying one way is better than the other. I was just curious on how we made the decision.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

Last edited by mommy2Breana+Brandon; March 1st, 2010 at 05:53 AM.
March 1st, 2010, 05:43 AM
Veteran
I really wanted to breastfeed, but we never got a good latch and by day 7 my nipples were very sore and bleeding. I decided then to pump and give her expressed breastmilk. This lasted 14 weeks, and now she gets formula exclusively.

I beat myself up about not breasfeeding too. I think there is too much pressure on moms to breastfeed - the nurses at the hospital pretty much made it out to be the only option.

Next time I will try for a few days and if it is not working I will move on, guilt free!

March 1st, 2010, 05:48 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It helped that all of my friends breastfed, so I was able to get support from them.

Plus, we didn't have any trouble from the beginning - besides very sore and bleeding nipples that healed after 2 weeks...I make plenty of milk and she just always latched on without a problem.

For me, its cheaper and was easier (before I went back to work). We'll be transitioning to formula after 6 months.

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
March 1st, 2010, 06:16 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I did a lot of research before I had DS. After reading all I could about breastmilk and formula I knew I had to breastfeed. I couldn't have that info and choose to formula feed. I was only able to BF DS for 3 months and I pumped what I could for another month. When we had to switch to formula I hated it and I still do.

So I tried again with DD and things seem to be going better this time.

March 1st, 2010, 07:01 AM
CriscoNinja
i can't afford formula! lol So I'm glad bf'ing worked out for us...

Plus I had bf'd my older 2, I'd say that first decision way back almost 11 years ago was the reading I did and also my sister breast fed her kids. So I had support and I also was attending a new mommy class where LC's were on call so I really had a supportive environment. It also turns out my son had a lot of food allergies/sensitivities I can't even fathom what formula he could have drank.

But to each their own! As long as that babe is fed and loved!!
March 1st, 2010, 07:54 AM
Peytonsmomma
when i was pregnant with Peyton it didn't matter to me what i did i was open to both, once she was born that idea changed, I wanted to BF, of course my nipples were sore and bleeding but the nipple cream from Lansinoh did the trick, she never latched onto my left side for over 3 weeks thus my milk didn't come in enough for her, so i pumped that side and fed her on my right side, once i went back to work 2 days a week in the end of January was when i realized i only produced 5 oz for the entire day! but i still didn't give up, i wanted this so bad!! she was on formula the two days that i worked and I decided i would never give her that line of formula b/c it was AWFUL!! when i went to the dr, i realized she only gained barely a pound in two months, so i switched her to Nestle Good start and I nurse her in the middle of the night, i have to say i cried so hard doing it b/c i struggled so much for almost 5 months and never gave up, but since she has been on formula she is a much happier baby
March 1st, 2010, 08:07 AM
Genevieve's_mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
well.. in the hospital she'd latch on once or twice. at home she wouldnt so my mom luckily had sample formula in her house since genevieve wasnt nursing (didnt nurse at all the whole day! ): ) i was then pumping and after about a month and half i decided it was too much to do that and i wouldnt be able to once i went back to work. so now we FF.. and boyy do i wish i kept pumping. im back to my PP weight.. i lost about 50 lbs during and after my pregnancy, after i stopped pumping i gained it all back and cant seem to loose it! ughh!

thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
x2 http://www.punky-kinboutique.webs.com (enter 'Summer' to recieve 10% off entire order, $30.00 or more)
<marquee

REQUEST A SIGGY: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...ests-open.html
SIGGY GALLERY: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...y-gallery.html</marquee>
March 1st, 2010, 08:15 AM
*Hayley*
just all the research i've done and the support i've had from family and friends. when ds#1 went to daycare at 6 months old i pumped for a while, but had to supplement with formula bc i wasn't able to get enough. i ended up bfing only at night until 9 months old when he self-weaned. he was such an easy baby to bf, unlike Abram. Abram hasn't latched on well, has this allergy which affects my diet, my supply has been way less this time around, but i will stick it out for at least another month and a half. i'm already supplementing, but only 1-2 bottles a day. i've wanted to quit so many times, but i know i can do it and it's really the best for us for now and until that changes i will keep on.
March 1st, 2010, 08:17 AM
*Crystal*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am very big on breastfeeding and it's benefits. I feel that it is the best choice for me and my baby. I never even considered formula.

We had soooo much trouble in the beginning. Breckin wouldn't latch well, my nipples quickly got really rough (blisters, cracked, bled.. all that wonderful stuff), and my milk wouldn't drop (it took almost 2 weeks). I wasn't going to give up. I would cry while feeding him at first because it hurt so bad. I also struggled with elimination diets. I have a very supportive doctor and friends and we eventually got it. Breckin is a professional breastfeeder now and we are doing well. I am so glad we stuck with it.
March 1st, 2010, 08:55 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For me there was never any option besides breastfeeding. My mom nursed me for 2 years so I grew up with the idea of when you have a baby you nurse it... When I had my first son he had no clue how to latch on. It was a nightmare because my milk came in within 2 days of having him so I was constantly engorged. I was pumping constantly and having to feed him pumped BM. I went back to the hospital to see the lactation consultant who while trying to show me how to get him to latch properly squeezed my breast and caused some damage because my boob hurt for about a year after that. Finally after a month of engorged boobs, fevers and achiness from the engorged boobs, my little guy decided to drop his tongue down and nurse! Finally! From that day forward he never had another bottle of breastmilk and I went on to nurse him for 2 1/2 years. I am especially proud of myself for that because I was young (20) when I had him and it was a super challenging period, but we made it through together.

With this baby things went a lot smoother...he was latched on well and nursing about 5 hours after he was born and we haven't had any issues. Since it was my second time around I was prepared for any problems that might arise.

If you put all of the benefits of BF aside I honestly cannot imagine paying for formula. I looked at the prices of some it one day for curiosities sake and couldn't believe how expensive it was.
March 1st, 2010, 09:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
the benifits really sold me, they get sick less and stuff like that, but the other perks like I ate 3 crispy creams for breakfast and still lose weight, and it is free helped keep me going

March 1st, 2010, 09:22 AM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
Well i had breastfed both Ashleigh and Emely and formula fed Madisyn. After doing both i knew what i preferred, and that was breastfeeding. Another big deciding factor is money issues. We don't think we'd be able to afford formula if we were to do it 100% of the time. Right now I am 90% Breastfeeding. I also offer bottles of EBM or formula when i go out. I just bought my first can of formula today, i'm glad i only plan on buying it once a month. That stuff is expensive!

March 1st, 2010, 09:36 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I made the decision cause it was free and what I thought was the best thing for him and the bonding time.

I am not saying that formula isn't good for babies. I have a niece that was a formula baby and she is really smart.

So I guess the cost benefit and the other benefits that breast feeding has helped me make the decision

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

March 1st, 2010, 09:39 AM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
I never had the patience. I was going to try with my oldest, but it just didn't work out. I tried pumping with Owen and that was a disaster because nothing came out for a week so they started feeding him formula.

Thanks to cavewoman

March 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I knew from day one I just didn't want to BF. All debates aside, I just don't think BM is better than formula. Maybe 30 years ago but with all they add now, it's just as nutricious. All of my girls, are extremely healthy, happy, perfect for weight, smart as can be, etc.. Nothing would ever convince me that BFing would have made them better. They are perfect!
I also wanted to make sure my husband got to have part of that bonding time. Feeding time, is bonding time not just BFing.
I have zero regrets about my decisions.

March 1st, 2010, 10:55 AM
**Teresa**'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't BF my first two so I just decided not to BF Tyler. I regretted it some at first but I know my oldest two are happy healthy and loved so I'm fine with the decision now. I will say I totally agree with Paula. I don't think there is a huge difference anymore between BF and FF. My children very rarely get sick and are very smart and perfect kids. Two put it this way my sister BF her youngest and she has been sick more often then my DD. And my DD is 9 and hers is 4. So I don't believe there is a lot of truth that BF babies are healthier.

Thanks to auntieof3 for the wonderfull and beautifull siggy!!

March 1st, 2010, 11:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
formula feeding was never an option for me, i knew i wanted to breastfeed all my kids for the first year atleast because of the health benefits for them and myself as well. im a bit of a "lactivist" so i wont get up on my soapbox
March 1st, 2010, 12:03 PM
Veteran
I was so depressed with my 5 year old when I just couldn't get breastfeeding down, that I decided when my 3 year old was born, I'd breastfeed no matter what. That didn't work so I ended up pumping for a year and loved how much money I saved not buying formula. This time around I told myself she'd get breastmilk one way or another because with 3 kids, I just can't afford formula! Me being able to eat whatever I want helps too!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search