Anyone else with a small baby?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Veteran
Hi,

We just had our 4 month check up and Brynn continues to be small:
weight: 11 lbs, 15 oz (5-10 percentile)
length: 23.25 inches (5-10 percentile)

I don't know what the deal is, she eats 40 ounces a day, so is getting enough food. The doctor is not concerned at all because she continues to grow at a steady rate. He said to go ahead and start her on solids once she doubles her birth weight (which would be 13 lbs, 2 oz).

Anyone else with a small baby? Is your doctor concerned at all?

March 4th, 2010, 09:00 AM
*Hayley*
The trend is really what is important and even that fluctuates. Both of my boys were huge babies (9lbs 9oz, and 9lbs 5oz) and now my older one is in the 27% for weight, and the younger one is in the 50% for weight but they are both in the 90% for height. Both of their weight trends have been on a SLOW rise, but still rising. As long as she's growing and not sick, I'm sure she's just fine
March 4th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I am sure she is fine as long as she is growing, no matter what you worry Elise is the exact opposite and I am afraid she will have to have another diabetes test, I hate to see her get poked

March 4th, 2010, 01:27 PM
disturbedangel121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to disturbedangel121 Send a message via MSN to disturbedangel121 Send a message via Yahoo to disturbedangel121
Both my boys are tall and weigh less then they should for their height but they both eat just fine so the pediatrician thinks it it just their body type. He says as long as they keep on gaining that is there main concern.

March 4th, 2010, 02:15 PM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
William finally hit the chart for his corrected age. He is in the 10th percentile for his height and head but still a little low for his weight. They were comparing him to a 5 month old on February 19th. He is 13 pounds 7 ounces and 25 inches long.

Thanks to cavewoman

March 4th, 2010, 03:28 PM
ImperfectMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Xander was only 11 lbs and 24 inches long at his 4 month checkup. It sucks, but he's just "petite," as the doctor put it. He eats plenty, is healthy and has hit all of his milestones (and then some), so I'm trying not to worry. Some babies just don't gain the same. My doctor isn't having me start solids, it probably wouldn't make him gain any differently. He's just small and probably burns it all off (always kicking those legs! )
March 4th, 2010, 03:49 PM
~KMV~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At Damians 4 months appt. he was 24 inches and 12 lb 13oz. i think he is in hte 25th percentile.

March 5th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Super Mommy
Remember you also have to remember she was 6lbs???in at birth so it's hard to compare your baby's weight to others at the same age. They could all be gaining 2lbs each month but because the birth weight varies then their weight will continue to vary. As along as she is gaining something at every check up then she is doing just fine.
March 5th, 2010, 09:02 PM
jesicaRN
some babies are just small babies...are you tiny or family tiny or hubby??? Babies grow at such different rates it is so hard to compare. I agree with what everyone is saying. Just continue doing what you are doing...and just report any concerns to dr if you notice any. hugs!

to us Chloe is small!!! bahahahaha!!! We are so use to our 9 and 10 pound babies who were always in the 90th percentile that we don't know what to do with 'average' sized baby!!!
March 5th, 2010, 09:03 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Finally someone else with a small baby! Jillian is about 11lbs or a little over. She was big at birth, 9lbs 12oz. She is just a slow gainer. My DS was the same way and the Dr was worried and they ran tests. He turned out to be just fine and is a good size now. Jillian is growing and she eats fine. She's BF so it's hard to tell always how much she's getting but she's satisfied after she eats. She's very strong and alert. People always comment on how tiny she is and then they're freaked out by how strong she is!

March 5th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
My daughter is petite. She was actually perfect as a baby, 50th percentile for height, 50th percentile for weight, and 50th percentile for her head.. She was growing evenly.. Once she turned 1 year old, she dropped to the 25th percentile. She's so petite compared to all the kids in the 2 year old room at school.

This doesn't surprise me.. My mom is only 4'11 and I have even more shorter people in my family, which are Filipino and if you seen Filipino women, you know they are petite. I'm worried about my son though.. I don't want him to be petite.. My opinion is guys are suppose to be big.. lol So far, he's in the 50th percentile and I hope he goes above that.. lol

Does your Peds office give you a growth chart? I get one at every appointment so I can see my kids growth curve..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; March 5th, 2010 at 11:09 PM.
March 6th, 2010, 03:33 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't but my sister does my niece will be 2 in April and only weighs 18 pounds at first the doctor was worried but she is growing and gaining so everything is OK and both her parents are petite.

I am sure your LO is fine. As long as she is gaining all is good.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

March 6th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Veteran
Thanks everyone for the responses. I was getting worried at first because I was only seeing posts about babies weight 15, 16, 17 lbs!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search