Study says..

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2010, 09:18 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Moms have 3o-40 hours of "leisure time" a WEEK! lol
Here's the article. It was on Dr. Phil yesterday and I was yelling at my tv. LOL
Moms Have More Leisure Time Than They Think, Researcher Says - ParentDish

So, what's your opinion?
I know for one I do NOT Have 40 hours of free time a week! Maybe if they count sleeping??
They seem to think that when your kid is sitting in the floor and you are sitting on the couch, watching tv, that's being leisurly. I disagree! Even though I'm not mopping the floor or changing a diaper doesn't mean I won't have to in 10 seconds. Moms are ALWAYS on call and on guard. They can't just put their feet up and "clock out". KWIM?

March 31st, 2010, 09:30 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yeah right!!!

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

March 31st, 2010, 09:35 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
Grrrrrrr. I just got into an argument about this with Echo's father a few weeks ago. He was saying how he has a job and he goes to school and all I do is sit at home and breastfeed and change diapers. Yeah. I was so angry. All I do is insure our daughters physical, emotional and intellectual well being while he works in a glorified mail room and fails out of technical school at night. Yeah. The only leisure time I get is when my mom watches Echo so that I can shower or those oh so fun trips to the grocery store. 40 hours a week my ***.

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
March 31st, 2010, 09:53 AM
LOL I agree! It's insane and whoever came up with this is full of crap! My DH KNOWS I do a lot at home and he's attempted that he enjoys going to work to get out of the craziness. lol On the weekends, I don't do any housework and by Sunday night, the house is TRASHED. It's a good way to show DH how much I do. LOL
Even Dr. Phil said it was crap!

March 31st, 2010, 09:56 AM
Jennifer0911's Avatar Mommy of 2 Adorable Girls
Send a message via Yahoo to Jennifer0911
Riiiiiiiiiiiight!!!! That's a bunch of crap. I added up my "mommy only time" and I get about 14 hours a week. Give or take. I WISH it was 40!! LOL!! geesh! I have this argument with my DH. I work PT (2-3 times a week) but then I'm home taking care of Samantha and doing house work. He says well at least you get to stay at home all day long and play with Samantha. I say, yeah it's nice to stay home and play... but it's no freakin vacation and it's not as easy it may seem.. ARGGG! They just don't understand. I would love for him to stay home with her for a week and see how he feels then!

Check Out My Blog!!

3-13 @ 14 weeks
March 31st, 2010, 10:08 AM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
30-40 hours!!??? Are they serious?! That's the biggest load! Maybe 3-4 hours!

Yeah, even if we're sitting on the floor with them, it's not leisure time. Not that I don't love this time, cause I do. It's development and security time.

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

March 31st, 2010, 11:04 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Well I guess if they consider the 4 hours or so I sleep a night, the time I spend quickly going to the bathroom and my super quick showers as leisure time then maybe. Although I don't think those things are leisure time.

I'm guessing a man did this survey!

March 31st, 2010, 12:14 PM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Paula~ View Post
Even Dr. Phil said it was crap!
Of course he did. He wants to stay married!

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
March 31st, 2010, 12:20 PM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
did you watch Dr. Phil? They discussed this on yesterday's program.

March 31st, 2010, 04:21 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I watched it and had to laugh. The professor who did the study included getting a root canal and waiting for a tow truck as part of "leisure time." Basically, any time a mom isn't actively doing something with her child, it is considered leisure time. What a crock! Oh and did you notice the lady who agreed with him? She said that because we choose to be moms then what we are doing is leisurely. Really? Well, I chose to be a teacher and that certainly isn't leisure time. I guess a prosecutor fighting to put a child molester behind bars is having "leisure time" because she chose to be a lawyer. Yeesh!
March 31st, 2010, 04:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
yea friggen right, and sadly my dh agrees and would love to trade places, as would I miss working

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
March 31st, 2010, 04:54 PM
disturbedangel121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to disturbedangel121 Send a message via MSN to disturbedangel121 Send a message via Yahoo to disturbedangel121
Lol my DH jokes about wanting to trade places but at the end of the day he knows he couldn't do it.

March 31st, 2010, 04:57 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is a joke right?? A root canal is leisure time??? That whole thing is crap and I'm glad I didn't see it, I would have been really mad.
March 31st, 2010, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I watched Dr. Phil. And Shawn.. LMAO you're right. Robin was sitting there and said it's NOT leisure time.
And yes, I CHOSE to be a Mom.. And I love my "job" but it's not leisure time. By the end of the day I am wiped out and I'm pretty sure leisure means RELAXING!

March 31st, 2010, 07:15 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
That guy definitely needs to look up the definition of the word leisure. Who in their right freaking mind would consider a root canal to be leisure time?

April 1st, 2010, 06:12 AM
Veteran
My leisure time is when I'm sleeping or when I'm at work, lol. That's the only alone time I get. If I was a SAHM, I would get none. When I was on maternity leave right after Kadence was born, my DH made some stupid comment about how I at least get to stay home all day with the kids and relax. Right.
April 1st, 2010, 07:44 AM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
What a Joke! I would love to have that much leisure time but it's not happening... talk about unrealistic. I'm a stay at home mom, and it's a full time JOB. Yes I love it, but it's WORK. I get up early in the morning before the girls wake up, if I'm lucky I get an hour or two. Hubby helps out when he get's home in the evening and he'll often offer to give me a break... but usually I take that opportunity to Shower, lol.

April 1st, 2010, 07:54 AM
LOL Yep, me too. I get up before the girls so I can drink a cup of coffee. When I leave the house alone, it's to go grocery shopping.

April 1st, 2010, 10:18 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Wow.. As a working mom (10 hour shifts) I would disagree with this article.. lol I will admit, I had more relaxing time when I was on maternity leave with both of my kids, then when I was working..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; April 1st, 2010 at 10:21 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search