Double ear infection

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Super Mommy
I posted the below link a couple of weeks ago when LaSean had his first ear infection. Well, the past 2 days have been miserable! He has been having what I call "breakdowns." He has hardly slept, he's not eating right, he's puking a lot, he's cranky, and he screams like someone is murdering him! Last night, it took an hour and a half of walking around the house with him to get him to go to sleep. And it wasn't calmly. He was screaming the whole time. I called the oncall Dr, whom I've never spoken to before, and he said "well without seeing him, I have nothing to tell you. Take him to the ER." When I got off the phone I thought about that. I'm not too keen on bringing my 5 1/2 month old to an ER to see a Dr who sees all different people. He's not a pediatrician. I doubt he'd find anything wrong with my son that his regular ped couldn't find. This was at 10pm last night. I decided to wait until the morning, and bring him right away to see HIS Dr. Once I finally got him to sleep at around 11pm, he slept until almost 8am this morning! First thing this morning, I called his Dr and they got him in. He now has a DOUBLE MIDDLE EAR INFECTION!! UGH! Poor little man! I knew something else was wrong! Now he's on Cefdinir (Omnicef). His 6 month check up is on the 14th, and that will be 9 days from now. He's supposed to be on the meds for 10 days. We'll see how he's doing by then. His Dr said that if they're not cleared up by the time we go on the 14th, that he'll send him to an ENT Dr!!

Note - he hasn't had a temperature of anything above 99.6, he's not sneezing or coughing, not pulling or rubbing his ears or eyes, no nasal drippage, he's not congested... All what I thought were bigger signs of ear infections. The Dr said that his ears are really red and irritated inside, though.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f9...infection.html
April 5th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
oh no! poor little guy! I can relate Bailey, who was just coughing a bit and had goopy eyes turned out to have a double ear infection I hate when they are so young and get sick

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
April 5th, 2010, 06:25 PM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
oh no! i'm so sorry that you're little man is sick. i hope he starts to fell better soon.

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
April 6th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Super Mommy
Same thing happened with Tegan. One ear infection and 3 days after finishing her antibiotics she had a double ear infection
then the antibiotics gave her really bad diarrhea which gave her a SUPER bad diaper rash. Her pedi had us stop her antibiotics early because her rash was so bad.
So just change his diaper more often than normal .. Hopefully you can avoid the really bad rash.

April 7th, 2010, 04:56 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aww, poor little guy. I hope the meds kick in soon and he gets some relief.

April 7th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Poor guy - hang in there mommy! I know it must be difficult to see your baby sick and also deal with his "breakdowns". Hopefully the medicine will work quickly and you'll see an imporvement and he'll have some relief.

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
April 7th, 2010, 06:07 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry. I hope he starts to feel better soon for you

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

April 7th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Peytonsmomma
are you bottle feeding? if so how are you bottle feeding? do you give the bottle in a cradle position, laying down or sitting up?
April 7th, 2010, 11:16 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Aww poor baby and poor you. I know it's rough when you can hardly console him. He was probably really hurting and it's not like they can tell us ya know? Luckily antibiotics start kicking in pretty fast so I bet he'll feel better in no time!

April 7th, 2010, 02:34 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

April 8th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Veteran
That really sucks!! That's how my 3 year old was. I never knew he had ear infections until his check ups and the ped would look at me like I was stupid that I didn't know he had them. After the first treatment of amoxycillin that he was allergic to, he didn't get any more meds to treat them. He has one now and we only knew because he failed his hearing exam for a preschool screening so we took him to the ped. I hope those meds kick in soon so he feels some relief and you can get some relief too!
April 8th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Poor little man

A.J had a double ear infection twice in the month of March, once the first week of March and the second a few days before he was hospitalized (nothing related).. He had no signs either (except fever due to the Broncholitis).. He was just a little cranky, you'd probably think he was teething.. But I knew better.. I know the signs now because A.J has had 3 ear infections in the month of March.. He's been on Omnicef, Azithormax, Amoxicillin, and Rocephen IV (in the hospital)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanMichelle View Post
His Dr said that if they're not cleared up by the time we go on the 14th, that he'll send him to an ENT Dr!!
Wow.. That's quick.. Usually they have to have multiple ear infections before being considered for a Ear Nose and Throat doctor.. Just makes sure you ask lots of questions..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; April 8th, 2010 at 09:57 AM.
April 9th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyBean View Post
So just change his diaper more often than normal .. Hopefully you can avoid the really bad rash.
Too late! The really bad rash started yesterday! And it's REALLY bad. Poor little guy!
April 9th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by codasgirl04 View Post
are you bottle feeding? if so how are you bottle feeding? do you give the bottle in a cradle position, laying down or sitting up?
Yes, bottle feeding, along with solids. He sits up almost straight up when he's eating his bottle. I had a few people tell me that when they fed their babies around his age their bottles, and they weren't sitting up, or they had propped up the bottle, that ear infections were very common. When they were told about it, and changed how their baby was sitting when they were being fed, the number of ear infections dropped instantly.
April 9th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Peytonsmomma
susan~ i was just going to tell you about that they are correct, i confirmed it with my dr alsot

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search