carseats

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Is your LO still in an infant carrier or convertable? Are they facing foward or back?

I know I am going to visit family in CA soon and was supprised when they asked if she needed to be foward or back ( I am almost sure she already meets the 20lbs requirement I find out today at the 6 month check )
I looked it up and most states only say they need to face back untill they are 20lbs,I am in OR and here it is 20lbs and a year old.
Elise has also been in a convertable for months my infant carrier only went to 28 inches and she was already 27.5 on her 4 month check

April 6th, 2010, 09:57 AM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are switching her to her convertible this week. Our infant seat is supposed to go till 30lbs but it is already tight and she is 18lbs. We will keep her rear-facing for as long as possible. I think our convertible is rear facing up to 30-35lbs.
April 6th, 2010, 10:13 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would still recommend that you keep her facing rear until she is at least one year.

I am still using the infant carrier.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

April 6th, 2010, 10:33 AM
~KMV~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We've been using a convertible for about a month or so now. Damian HATED being put in the infant seat, he would scream bloody murder. I haven't checked into the state laws here yet, but if I can turn him front facing at 20 pounds I'm going to. Since all of our cars are 2 doors, with the seat rear facing it makes it impossible for anyone to sit up front.

April 6th, 2010, 10:38 AM
jesicaRN
Chloe is in her converible love love love the Zeus 360!!!! We still pull out her bucket if we go in someone else's car though. She loves car rides!!!

And there are many recommendations to keep all infants rear facing until 1 year...not only because of weight, but safety reasons on bone and muscle structure and function. It is safest position for all infants
April 6th, 2010, 10:50 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Popping in from the Car Seat Safety board, if you don't mind

I'd like to encourage you to keep your little one rear facing. The manufacturer of your car seat doesn't allow it to be used forward facing before a child is 1 year of age AND 20 pounds (possibly 22 pounds, depending on the seat). If you look in your manual, or on the sticker on the side of the car seat, it will give you that information. Because all states either have a proper use clause, or actually state that a child must remain rear facing until 1 year and 20 pounds, it's actually illegal to forward face before then.

I'd also like to encourage everyone to check out this sticky on our board about Extended Rear Facing (Extended Rear-Facing) and the benefits. And it is no longer recommended to turn a child forward facing at 1 year & 20 pounds, they now recommend a minimum age of 2 years. Rear facing is 500% safer for our little ones!

We'd love to have all of you join us on the Car Seat Safety board! And if you have any questions, please let us know!
April 6th, 2010, 11:32 AM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
Peyton is in her carrier and will be for a while - it's a graco snugride 32

we will, also be keeping her rearfacing until she is at least 2 years old for safety reasons....
April 6th, 2010, 11:59 AM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Danica is still in her carrier. We'll be using it until she hits the weight limit, 22lbs ...which should be soon Then we'll put her in the convertible which we already bought, and keep it rear facing at least until 1 year.

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

April 6th, 2010, 12:13 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm pretty sure ALL states in the US require an infant to be ATLEAST 20lbs AND one year old to face forward.

April 6th, 2010, 12:14 PM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
Echo is in a convertible seat now RF. I have the Safety First Air Protect and I love it. It rear faces to 40lbs I think and that's how long she will be RF. I'm hoping she slows down a bit in her growth though as she is almost 20lbs now and is only 5 months old. We switched to a convertible because our infant seat was a piece of crap and I didn't want to buy another infant seat that she would have used for only a month or two.

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
April 6th, 2010, 12:30 PM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
Catie is still in an infant carseat/rear facing. I plan to keep her rear facing for as long as possible. The 20lb law is: Rear facing until 20lbs and 1 year of age. Not OR So she has to be at least 1 year also. Just because a baby turns 20lbs before a year, doesn't mean they can turn forward facing.

April 6th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I plan to keep her rearfacing for a year, I was just wondering were everyone's LO was at and I know at least for CA you can have them face foward at 20lbs ( I thought it was weird myself ) my BIL is a cop

April 6th, 2010, 02:12 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lucy is still in the carrier and will be for quite a while yet.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

April 6th, 2010, 04:53 PM
This website says it's AND.. Not or. and it's the CA website.
http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/pdf/childsafety.pdf

April 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i stand corrected and I just want to put it out their I always make sure Elise is safe in the car and plan to keep her rear facing as long as she fits(and defiantly to at least a year) and I always make sure she is stapped in correctly the last thing I would want is for anything to happen to her
Sorry for putting any bad info out there

Last edited by natty; April 6th, 2010 at 06:05 PM.
April 6th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Elijah is still in an infant carrier. He's not even close to the weight limit for his seat and I love the convenience of carrying him into places. He will stay rear facing as long as possible. My DD is still rearfacing and she'll be 3 in July. I just think it's safer. She's never fussed about being "backwards" but it is a little awkward getting her in her seat lately so I may be changing it soon.
April 6th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
still in the carrier and will be for a while. Thomas was in it til 7 mos, then convertable, Collin was 8 mos both stayed RF til 11.5 mos, Bailey will be 1 before we turn her, maybe longer

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
April 6th, 2010, 07:10 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Jillian is still in her infant carrier and will be for quite a while still. She's so tiny! Once she goes into the convertible I'll leave her RF for as long past a year as I can. I had to turn DS at 17 months because he reached the RF limit on the seat. This time I'm going to buy one that has a higher RF limit.

April 7th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
A.J is still ion his infant carrier.. Ours goes up to 20 lbs and right now he maybe be at 15 lbs now.. We do have a convertible seat waiting in a box..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMLV810 View Post
Since all of our cars are 2 doors, with the seat rear facing it makes it impossible for anyone to sit up front.
Wow..Is your car a sports car? lol j/k I drive a 2000 Civic couple and we have room with our huge car seat in the back, RF..We have the Recaro Signo which is a huge seat.. lol

April 7th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Natty, I didn't mean to make it look like I was slapping that in your face. I just wanted you to see that it is 1 AND 20lbs. It's so confusing with carseats and info and hearing one thing, etc, etc.. So I wanted to show you CA law. I looked up Ohios when Kayla was little, then again with Emily because you just don't know until you look for yourself, kwim?
And now a lot of states, I know Ohio has made it a law to have children 4-8 in a booster as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search