Just a heads up for those women who barely passed the Gestational Diabetes tests.

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I heard from my Pharmacists that they have become more stricter on Gestational Diabetes. She was telling me how her friend barely passed and now her friend has one month to go and her baby is vary big. .

They have now changed the numbers, so if you barely passed with your last pregnancy, more then likely your next pregnancy you may not pass..

Just want to give you a heads up so you'd be prepared for it..

Quote:
FRIDAY, Feb. 26 (HealthDay News) -- New measurements for determining dangerous blood sugar levels for pregnant women and their unborn babies mean that two to three times as many women will be diagnosed with gestational diabetes, a new study suggests.
Instead of 5 percent to 8 percent of pregnant women being diagnosed with gestational diabetes, the new measurements mean that more than 16 percent would be diagnosed with the condition, said study author Dr. Boyd Metzger, a professor of metabolism and nutrition at Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine.

The current gestational diabetes measurements are based on blood sugar levels that identified women at high risk for developing diabetes in the future, but didn't take into account other risks to the mother or baby, including increased risk of overweight babies with high insulin levels, early deliveries, cesarean deliveries, and potentially life-threatening preeclampsia (high blood pressure that affects the pregnant women and her unborn child).
Metzger and an international group of researchers studied more than 23,000 women in nine countries and concluded that a fasting blood sugar level of 92 or higher, a one-hour level of 180 or higher on a glucose tolerance test, or a two-hour level of 153 or higher on a glucose tolerance test pose a serious threat to mother and baby.

Previously, those levels were considered in the safe and normal range.

"At these levels, the frequency of having an overweight baby is almost double, the frequency of having preeclampsia is almost double, and the frequency of early delivery is 40 percent greater. These are really substantial differences," Metzger said.
The study appears in the March issue of Diabetes Care.
Twice as Many Women May Soon Be Diagnosed With Gestational Diabetes - ProHealth Care

I do wonder what they consider a over weight baby? 8 pounds and up? I know I had GD and my son was 7 lbs 13 oz's and I had a nurse tell me at the OB office that he was a bigger then normal sized baby..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; April 13th, 2010 at 10:41 AM.
April 13th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
never been close to being dx but had to reply, that is rediculous they said your son was big..

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
April 13th, 2010, 11:06 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow a 7lb baby I would think would be a normal size even an 8lb baby.

I would think maybe 9lb and up. But I also think that it depends on how big the momma is also for the birth canal.

thanks for the heads UP!!!

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

April 13th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaDucks View Post
never been close to being dx but had to reply, that is rediculous they said your son was big..
I was upset with the nurse told me that. Especially after dealing with GD for 9 months.. I thought I did a good job with controlling it since A.J was born at 39 weeks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2Breana+Brandon View Post
Wow a 7lb baby I would think would be a normal size even an 8lb baby.

I would think maybe 9lb and up. But I also think that it depends on how big the momma is also for the birth canal.

thanks for the heads UP!!!
Your welcome.. I know lots of women research their results online and when they compare, they will see that they passed from the old scores.. But since they've changed it, it can confuse those researching it.. But I think this is a good thing.. When I was first diagnosed, I barely passed, but the Dr made me go on the diet,etc.. In the end, the doctor was right and I had GD.. So maybe with the new scores, more undiagnosed GD cases will be caught..

Thanks for saying average would be 7 or 8 pounds.. I was thinking along those same lines..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; April 13th, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
April 13th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Blondn6ft's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had GD ... my numbers were SO crazy ! I was using 2 different insulins 5 x a day.
Addison was still on 7lb 7 ounces ...

Will be interesteing to see what happens when we go for baby #2

April 13th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondn6ft View Post
I had GD ... my numbers were SO crazy ! I was using 2 different insulins 5 x a day.
Addison was still on 7lb 7 ounces ...

Will be interesteing to see what happens when we go for baby #2
It will be interesting and probably turn out not what you expected.. At least that was the way for me..

With A.J I started monitoring from day one. I asked my doctor to refer me to my Endo.. I had GD earlier then normal.. What's funny is with Adriana.. I didn't start controlling my blood sugars until around 30 weeks.. My numbers were all over the place, I had high Ketones (only insulin brought it down), and was on alot of insulin for my fasting blood sugars.. Adriana was born at 39 weeks 4 days and was only 6lbs 15 oz's.. Crazy huh? Maybe it the difference between the boy and the girl.. But I do find it funny that A.J was bigger and my blood sugars stayed under 120 99% of the time..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search