My Doggy got attacked..

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2010, 06:11 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kayla takes Maggie for a walk every day. Well today I hear this god awful bark/growl/cry/howl and I went running outside to see, I see Kayla and some teenager trying to pull this dog off of Maggie. I take off outside in my pj's and bare feet, running down the sidewalk. I get there just as the girl is chasing her dog back to their house. Poor Maggie is foaming at the mouth, bleeding from the mouth. I get her home and look her over, she's got a gash under her chin, looks like a tooth puncture, a slice down her cheek and her gums are bleeding.
I went back out to see where the dog lived. The neighbor just down from us said it lived across the street, a german sheppard. The girl comes out and asks how my dog is. I said she's bleeding, she siad her's was too and she's not sure why they started fighting. I said your dog attacked her! She said, she ran over here and they started fighting. I said, Your dog attacked mine! She said but your dog was fighting too. At this point, I'm getting pretty ticked off. I said, My dog is ON A LEASH, was being controlled. Your dog RAN over HERE and ATTACKED my dog!! She said, she was on a leash too, she broke it. Ok, so then the neighbor comes over and says, the leash was one of those retracable SMALL leashes that they use for little tea cup poodles, etc.. Remember I said it was a GERMAN SHEPPARD!!
So, then the girls dad pulls up. Gets out, asks how Maggie was and says he's sorry. The girl had just called him and told him what happened as he was coming home. He said, I was right, his dog did attack Maggie and they were in the wrong. The dog should have been better controlled.
So he gave me his info, said to call them if Maggie didn't seem ok and apologized again.

Poor Mag, if you knew her you'd know she is a gentle giant. Her only weapon, is she might lick you to death! lol
Kayla said she wasn't biting the dog but more of trying to get it off of her and standing right in front of Kayla. Me personally, I think she was protecting Kayla. I have no doubt, she loves those girls so much!!

So, now I'm even afraid to let Kayla walk her. Which isn't fair to either because they both enjoy it.

April 14th, 2010, 06:19 PM
** Tay **'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
AW man!!! Poor Maggie, Hope she heals quickly and the others dogs family assumes resp. for your vet bills.... what kind of dog do you have?

April 14th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh my! I'm so sorry, hope Maggie is ok. That happened to our dog a couple years ago, except the other dog wasn't on a leash, just ran out from his yard. Our dog stepped right in front of the stroller that Ava was in at the time. I know he was protecting her.
April 14th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
how scary! Especially for Kayla! Hope Maggie is healed in no time

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
April 14th, 2010, 07:59 PM
She's boxer/American Bulldog. She seems fine, doesn't need a vet. I rinsed out her small spots with peroxide just to make sure they don't become infected.
She's a big girl, very very solid. A little dog, it'd probably have been killed.

I really hope they get that dog an appropriate leash! Maggie is a strong dog and she has a THICK leash and collar. The other dog needs the same!

I think she's having bad dreams now. She's growling and barking (which is more like a whimper) in her sleep and her paws are running. She dreams a lot but usually it's tail wagging. lol

April 14th, 2010, 08:10 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Aww poor Maggie! I'm glad she wasn't seriously hurt and that Kayla is okay. Tell her to never try to pull fighting dogs apart though!

I hope your neighbor restrains their dog properly from now on.

April 14th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I don't think they would have stopped had they not pulled them apart. Kayla wasn't touching either dog. Just holding Mag's leash really tight while the other girl grabbed her dog. The neighbor was running out and I was almost there when the dog turned and ran home. Kayla said the girl whacked it over the head and it turned and ran. lol I said Jay or I will walk with her for awhile and if I have to, I'll carry pepper spray. That dang dog came at her with a vengence. Maggie is the dog that see other dogs and cries to play with them. lol She looks vicious, but she's not.

April 14th, 2010, 09:19 PM
elsi2009's Avatar Veteran
I would maybe contact a local k9 unit to educate the owners a bit : as a small retractable leash doesn't really stop a German shepard ( depending on character of the dog , but both anxiety and aggression can show up in German shepards ) The dog should probably be on a leash of a length of 6- 8 ft or so. Btw I have been lurking here since about March 2009 and had my daughter on October 15th 2009 .

Last edited by elsi2009; April 14th, 2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: grammar
April 15th, 2010, 04:57 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh no I hope Maggie is alright.

Your neighbor should have his dog on a stronger leash.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search