FF mommas...do your little one's have this problem?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2010, 06:55 AM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
Peyton gets about 4oz every 5 hours or so. Well ever since we switched from breast to formula if she tries to go #2 within an hour of her having a bottle she spits it all up...she is not "constipated" really, they are a tad harder then normal but not rock hard.

I asked the pediatrician about it and she gave me this advice...

First she was upset because I am giving her soy formula rather then milk based. I tried to explain to her that 1) both boys could never tolerate the cows milk 2) I couldn't drink milk while nursing her or she would ahve a reaction - irritable, yucky green slimey stools etc. She said that just because there is a history with nontolerance with the boys and she couldn't tolerate it when I drank it doesn't mean she wouldn't be able to tolerate cow's milk based formula...

Anyway, she said that I needed to stretch the feedings over a 30min period by switching to the slow nipple, feed 2oz, burp, feed the other two ounces. Also to give 1/2 and 1/2 juice/water...

I'm just really irritated with the pediatric md's here and it's such a small post i don't have the choice to switch to another practice....

Does any other mom out there have this problem and if so what do you do?
April 16th, 2010, 07:17 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Ben used to have that problem when he was a baby and we switched to formula feeding. It's because they have to work harder to get the poop out then they did when they were breast fed (DS would always make a "poop face" but with Jillian I never know she's going unless I hear it coming out!).

Have you started her on solids yet? If so you could try just a bit of prunes or pears. They tend to help soften things up a bit so it's easier for her to get out.

April 16th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure I understand - she spits up while she's trying to go #2? Reagan has had both issues but not at the same time For spit-up, I just make sure she doesn't get too active after having a bottle and give it time to digest. She still ends up spitting up after each bottle though...

As for #2, Reagan started straining after we introduced solids. Its gotten better as her body adjusted - I didn't see a difference after we started formula compared to BM. My pedi told me to give her a couple of ounces of water each day or even put Benifiber in her bottle to give her more fiber to loosen the stools some. I really didn't like that idea, so ignored the Benefiber advice. It's gotten progressively better, so don't even give water unless she's showing signs of constipation.

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
April 16th, 2010, 08:27 AM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
sorry you are having troubles with formula!!!

I would start with milk based first as it is the most basic, i see where your doc is coming from BUT i understand completely the fear of it when you have had milk problems before. Basic formula is the simplest in ingredients and worth a try.

Neta gets constipated a lot, but now I give her a 1/2 water 1/2 juice mix (apple or pear) totalling 4 oz daily (2 oz water, 2 oz juice) whether she seems constipated or not...my Dr says they get constipated when water leaves the bowels so thats why it helps...and i find it to have cured the problem for the most part. try the juice if you feel comfortable with it.
She also eats sweet potatoes and carrots, they seem to help move things a long as well. I also switched to oatmeal from rice cereal. Im not sure i was allowed to do that, i cannot believe i didnt ask my doctor about the oatmeal but it also seems to not be as binding. good luck dear!

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

April 16th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Peytonsmomma
hey tulip
you feed her every 5 hrs? did i understand that correctly? maybe try feeding her more a day, here is peyton's routine with ff-- wakes up has solids, then eats 4 oz of formula, then nap about 1-2 hrs later then wakes up eats a bottle- ( she never eats more than 4oz at a time) follow the same pattern of naps then bottle, then solids about 6pm @ night
try giving her luke warm water to get the gas out, Peyton had ALOT of constipation problems have you tried the Gerber Gentle Plus? it was made by nestle and it's the only one that I have found that works.
also feeding her a bottle make sure she is setting up and that you sit her up after she burps
April 16th, 2010, 12:14 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never noticed Abby having a problem of puking while pooping. She has reflux so after she eats I make sure she's upright for atleast 30 minutes after. I put her in her jumperoo, excersaucer or walker.
She's never had hard poops either, usually a bit mushy. Maybe it's more of hard hard her poop is. Abby is on Parent's choice sensitivity. I tried soy on her before and she still spit up so we went to the sensitive and she's had no problems. Maybe give the sensitive a try.

April 16th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I don't have a problem with A.J with constipation or spit up..

But have you considered a different kind of formula? Maybe Soy isn't right for her.. A.J was on nutramigen for 3 weeks to see if he had a cow milk allergy.. Nutramigen has probiotics in it too! This helps with the digestive tract and helps regulate you.. You know the Activa commercials, what helps them be regular is the Probiotics in the yogurt... The down side of Nutramigen, it's EXPENSIVE! But they now sell the 19 oz's can for $32.. Which is a better deal then a sample size can for $21.. Someone mentioned on here that you can get a better deal buying this formula on BRU..

Quote:

* Helps manage colic fast
* Hypoallergenic, easy-to-digest protein
* Promote skin health in infants through 18 months of age
* Promote digestive system health within 1 week of use
* Nutritionally balanced

Enfamil Nutramigen with Enflora 12.6 oz. powder- Case of 6Enfamil Nutramigen with Enflora LGG is a hypoallergenic formula, proven to manage colic fast, often within 48 hours. If your baby has an allergy to the cow's milk protein in infant formula, only Nutramigen with Enflora LGG contains the two ingredientsextensively hydrolyzed protein and Enflora LGGto manage infants with cow's milk protein allergy. These two ingredients work together for a more comprehensive approach to effectively manage infants with cow's milk protein allergy. The benefits of these two ingredients include - Hypoallergenic, easy-to-digest protein, promote skin health in infants through 18 months of age, and promote digestive system health within 1 week of use.Nutramigen with Enflora LGG is also probiotic to promote immune system balance, nutritionally balanced and is lactose- and sucrose (table sugar)-free
Amazon.com: Enfamil Nutramigen with Enflora 12.6 oz. powder- Case of 6: Toys & Games

I'm not to sure how you are with fruit juices this early on.. I'd personally wait, juices can constipate her and there's no need for her to be on it this early anyway.. But I bet you already know this since your a BTDT mommy..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; April 16th, 2010 at 11:04 PM.
April 17th, 2010, 01:28 AM
She ONLY throws up if she's trying to poop AND it's been within an hour or so of feeding...so I don't think it's the formula...

I think it's just her stomach muscles contracting as she's pushing. I've tried feeding her more often but I found it's a waste of formula. She usually will eat only 4oz every 5 hours or so. The nutritionist (at WIC) said that it was a little low but her growth is fine. I've tried giving her 4oz every 4 hours but she will take a sip or two and then refuse it and push it away - which then starts the 1hr time limit and by the time she is hungry I have wasted that 4oz.

I think I''m going to try the pear/prune and water in a cup for a few days and see how it goes...

If she's still having issues then I think I will talk to the md again when I go for her blood draw next week.
April 17th, 2010, 04:32 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't FF feed but maybe it is because she has to work so hard to get it out.

Good Luck

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

April 17th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
I really hope you figure it out

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
April 17th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Peytonsmomma
tulip~ what one hour time limit are you talking about? if she refuses the bottle put it back in the refrigerator, it's good for 24 hrs!! but if you keep it out which not sure why you would do that then that's when the 1 hour time limit comes into place
i'm sure it is the formula b/c she sounds very constipated with it, which is why she is straining so hard to poop thus will make her throw it back up
April 18th, 2010, 12:15 AM
codas - really? I'm new to this formula thing (I've only used cow milk when Xavier weaned at 9mos, never used formula) and with my oldest, well that was 14 years ago so I've forgotten the "Rules of Formula"... and everyone I talked to said 1-hour no matter what because of the bacteria build up...well, heck - you just saved me some $$$$ THANKS! Anyother tips?
April 18th, 2010, 12:42 AM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The one hour rule applies if she has had a suck on the bottle. Once she's sucked on it (had it in her mouth) bacteria from her mouth has been transferred to the bottle and can then multiply within the formula even if its put back in the fridge.

I hate wasting it too, so what I do when Lucy is having a fussy feeding time is make it up an ounce at a time. That way if she refuses it, its only an ounce that's going, not a whole bottles worth.

ETA: or instead of making it up ounce by ounce, make up what she normally takes in a container, then just pour it ounce by ounce.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

April 18th, 2010, 12:58 AM
ok, thanks mellie....that is a good idea...i am going to try that today...
April 18th, 2010, 03:36 AM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
poor kid . I don't know much about soy formula since i haven't tried it before. But Catie will react if i eat eggs or drink milk. she gets gassy, spitting up, and basically cries the entire day. She's the same way if she's on a milk based formula (reg strength). Right now i have her on good start gentle, which is still milk based, but a gentle formula LOL! She does excellent with it. No spitting up, gas or fussiness. Have you tried a gentle formula (BTW i also tried parents choice gentle, and Catie is gassy/fussy on it).

Not sure about the spitting up before the pooping. Do you think she's straining to much that it's actually causing her to spit up? That's what it sounds like. Is she on solids? could you try some prunes. I've never experienced constipation with my kids, even when on formula or solids.

April 18th, 2010, 04:50 AM
i do think it's because she strains so much.....no issues yesterday and so far none today and she's pooped both days...we shall see i suppose...
April 18th, 2010, 05:35 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How long has she been on formula now? It could be and hopefully is just something as simple as her system still adjusting to it.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

April 19th, 2010, 08:25 AM
She's been on complete formula for about 2 weeks now...
April 19th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Peytonsmomma
Tulip~ I just put the lid back on the bottle and put it back in the fridge, i figure she's putting more germs in her mouth by continuing to chew on her toys, if you are super worried about the bottle, then rinse the nipple out with hot water or purchase the dr.browns formula mixing pitcher you can find it online at walmart.com, you just mix what you want and pour it in the bottle -that will save you alottttt of money!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search