For those who make their own baby food.

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2010, 02:41 PM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
What kind of a chopper or food processor do you use? Do you make big batches and freeze or just enough for the week? Any other helpful hints or tricks? Echo is going to be eating solids pretty soon so I need to be prepared.

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
April 21st, 2010, 03:02 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use a barmix. We only have a small freezer so I can only make enough for a week. I freeze it in little containers so I only have to take out what she will be eating.

I steam it all first before pureeing it. I've found that some fruits go very watery and so what I do is only just steam them. Soften them just a little then barmix them. That way it doesn't come out too watery.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

April 21st, 2010, 03:04 PM
*Crystal*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not sure of the brand of our food processor. I make big batches and freeze.

I make sure to do the research on how to cook each fruit or veggie so they retain the most nutrients. Some veggies work really well to bake... sweet potato, squash. Others retain more if you steam them. I have a steamer which is REALLY helpful. I also have a fine strainer to strain things that don't perfectly puree so there aren't little pieces in it (like apples).

I then freeze them in ice cube trays covered with cling wrap. Once they are frozen I pop them out and keep them in freezer safe tupperware.

It is a lot of work but I feel so good doing it. It makes me feel like I am doing something very special for him.
April 21st, 2010, 03:31 PM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
We use a Hamilton Beach food processor. This is the one we have

Hamilton Beach: ChefPrep 500 Watt Food Processor - White

We bought it at walmart. I like how it works. I make big batches and freeze them in ice cube trays. I need to make more green beans and avocado though, i'm almost out of them.

Here's a picture of Catie's baby food. There's green beans, avocado, sweet potatoes, apples, bananas, pears, butternut squash, acorn squash, and peas in the picture. since then i've also made carrots and pears.

definitely recommend freezing in ice cube trays. It's so easy i just grab 1-2 cubes put them in a bowl, heat and serve. Also i freeze the food on the thick side, and add extra breastmilk or formula to thin it when i serve it to her.

April 21st, 2010, 04:04 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would love to make the baby food. I have a Cuisinart food processor that I got when I got married and haven't used it yet.

It is very expensive to do ?

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

April 21st, 2010, 04:25 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Making it is far cheaper than buying it.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

April 21st, 2010, 04:49 PM
*Crystal*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would say it is cheaper. We buy organic fruits and veggies. If it is local and in season we buy it fresh otherwise we buy frozen.
April 21st, 2010, 08:47 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's not too hard. I have a food mill and it's just fine for now. I make sweet potatoes and squash once a week, grind them up, and freeze them. If he's eating something soft, like bananas, I just mash them with a fork, add a little water if needed and give them to him.

I did try gerber foods before making a bunch, so I didn't waste making food. He projectile voms with peas and green beans, but everything else he loves!

April 21st, 2010, 09:26 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use the magic bullet. Usually I just puree whatever it is we're eating for the night (vegetable only for now though) and freeze and save the left overs in little mini tuperware containers from the dollar tree.

We also use canned fruits and vegetables as their nutritional value while not completely as good as fresh, is still very good and can fill the gap when a certain fruit or veggie is out of season.

We still keep jarred food on hand just in case we run out.
April 21st, 2010, 09:43 PM
** Tay **'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im not sure what brand our chopper is... just a cheapie, but does the job.
I steam and freeze a bunch at a time in ice cube tray... pop em out and store them in ziplocs like Chris..... I too make the food a little thicker and add liquid to thin it out as need be.
In our freezer now we have Peas, squash, carrots, bananas, sweet potato, and pear.
I dont do apples though... its my only cheat. I buy Organic, all natural applesauce ( check the ing. list... make sure its just apples and water)
its also the only thing she will eat cold.

April 22nd, 2010, 04:40 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay I want to look into this. Is there a book or something that will tell me how to do this??

Will it take me all day Saturday to do this?

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

April 22nd, 2010, 08:30 AM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used the website Wholesome Homemade Baby Food Recipes, Make your baby healthy homemade baby food with our easy baby food recipes, solid food tips, baby nutrition & more!. It had pretty much all the information I needed. I followed the same system most of the women listed above. It takes me an hour or two every two weeks and I make big batches that will last a while.

I also grind oats and brown rice in our coffee grinder (well rinsed out! the last thing I need is a caffeinated baby!!). I cook up batches of those and freeze them as well in cubes. I'd read some people dont like the texture of previously frozen oatmeal and some dont mind it so I thought I would give it a try. It makes breakfast super easy to just microwave a cube of oatmeal mash in some banana and breastmilk/formula. Tegan loves it.

Price-wise I figured out that it costs me 70 cents to buy the oats to make as much oatmeal as a $4 box of baby oatmeal cereal.

I love making her food. I stopped breastfeeding at 5.5months and I think it made me feel less guilty...lol
April 22nd, 2010, 08:43 AM
Veteran
I make my own with a cheap food processor and make a bunch then freeze it. I also use that website that Pearlica posted.
April 22nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
** Tay **'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use the same website.... doesnt take long to make it if you stockpile I think I maybe spent an hour or two making big batches of several things that I still have lots of

April 22nd, 2010, 10:57 AM
Mama2EZ's Avatar Super Mommy
I have to say the ladies pretty much covered it. That website is super helpful and awesome.

I am taking babysteps. For the first month I just mashed up banana, avocado and had ground cereals on hand. Yesterday was the first big batch I made, sweet potatoes. I have apples that I need to make today.
Ezra Ray 7lb. 7oz. born at 4:20

April 22nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use the Beaba Babycook and its super easy. The wholesome homemade baby food site is the only one I go to! I do a combination of making some foods (especially fruits) and buying the Gerber organic if the only two ingredients are the veggie/fruit and water. I don't make huge batches, but don't need tons since I am mixing some homemade with some store-bought. It definitely is cheaper though!!

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
April 22nd, 2010, 01:30 PM
GinaS.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm with most of the other ladies. I make it in big batches and freeze in ice cube trays and then transfer them into ziploc baggies. It's super easy! The type of processor doesn't matter. I have three, two $10 cheapies, and a mini cuisinart. Honestly, I like one of my $10 cheapies the best - I got it at ShopRite!

Using the ice cube trays is also good because you can mix different fruits and veggies together.
April 22nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I think the other ladies have it covered and it is cheaper for me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search