birth control

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2010, 04:32 PM
Peytonsmomma
hey ladies i'm on the mini pill now for breastfeeding but i'm not breastfeeding anymore, i go on the 3rd to get new birth control, anything you recommend, i won't get the depo shot but have heard stuff about mirena any experience with it?
April 23rd, 2010, 05:41 PM
** Tay **'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im on it...been since my 6 week visit...
I like it so far and think it was a really good option for us

Pros

* No AF so far.... I think between the Mirena and the breastfeeding, it wont start again till I take the iud out... as a side effect it is supposed to lighten or even stop it.... and i think with the breastfeeding, I skipped past the light part to nothing. (make sense?) im still nursing though.

* Dont have to remember anything is really nice.

* DBF says he cannot feel it. ... scratch that... there was ONE time that he said he kinda could.. must have just been the position

Cons

* My sex drive has gone down. not to the point of NEVER wanting anything... but its def. not a priority.

* My hair is falling out. In part, I think my body is still dealing with post-del.... but mainly I think its the mirena hormones. ( this is only a side effect for a slight %..lucky me)

* I still get kind of crampy when my period would be starting, and a little breaking out....

** edited to add.... I know hair falling out is a post pregnancy thing... but Im talking REALLY falling out... handfulls, I have nearly bald spots they are so thin... the Dr believes it is more the mirena than the baby that is doing it to me says its more than normal... so Im hoping it passes, if not...yikes!!

Last edited by ** Tay **; April 23rd, 2010 at 09:12 PM.
April 23rd, 2010, 05:54 PM
Peytonsmomma
see i've always had a low sex drive so i'm gonna talk to my midwife about something that can possibly bump it up a lil bit, i hate having to use lube everytime even though mentally i'm turned on but not physically sorry maybe TMI
April 23rd, 2010, 06:00 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^ That can just be a side effect of having children. It may not have anything to do with sex drive, especially if you are mentally turned on.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

April 23rd, 2010, 06:57 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ** Tay ** View Post
* My sex drive has gone down. not to the point of NEVER wanting anything... but its def. not a priority.

* My hair is falling out. In part, I think my body is still dealing with post-del.... but mainly I think its the hormones. ( this is only a side effect for a slight %..lucky me)

* I still get kind of crampy when my period would be starting, and a little breaking out....
These are actually likely all side effects of having a baby. I wasn't really on any birth control after my DD was born, and I had all of these side effects until about 9 months post partum... when I was pregnant again.

I won't use the mirena because a) I know a few people that have gotten pregnant with one in and some of them had a miscarriage as a result. I am not willing to take that chance. and b) I also know a few people (different people) that have had it fall out on them. That just seems unstable to me.
April 23rd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I also have an IUD, I could take it or leave it, it does not bother me now but if I had to do it agian I wouldn't
I was on BCP before and loved mircett ( not sure if it is a generic or not my doc thought it was ) it has hormones 26 of the 28 days so not cramps or anything but my only con on that is I was on it 5+years worked great then they switched me to the generic called Karvia(sp) and I got PG on that ( and I know a generic for a generic rediculous right )

April 23rd, 2010, 07:50 PM
Miles' Mommy's Avatar Happy 1st time mom
Send a message via AIM to Miles' Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Miles' Mommy
I got mirena about a month an a half ago. I had cramping for the first 24 hours then felt like my old self. I have been spotting now for about two weeks which is annoying. I'm hoping that stops soon. Since that is putting a stop to any fun.
As for side effects I really haven't had any caused by the IUD. I was losing my hair before I got it. I started losing hair right when LO turned 3 months. My doctor and hair dresser both say it will happen and can continue until LO is one year because of the hormones. Great My hair is thin and fine to start with.
Over all I really like Mirena and knowing that I don't have to worry about birth control actually helped my sex drive. Bonus...my insurance covered mirena but not the pill.

April 23rd, 2010, 10:40 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles' Mommy View Post
Bonus...my insurance covered mirena but not the pill.
Isn't that crazy? My friend's health insurance made her pay out of pocket for birth control but paid 80% for maternity visits/birth.
April 23rd, 2010, 11:31 PM
Peytonsmomma
ive always had a low sex drive but after having peyton for about a month my sex drive was really high then it went back down again
April 24th, 2010, 05:56 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not on anything right now as the mini pill messed up my milk supply with Breana so we are using condoms right now.

When I am done nursing I will go on some kind of pill. I don't believe in messing with your body to not get your period even though I would love not to get it.

Good Luck with your decision

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

April 24th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Peytonsmomma
it freaks me out that i don't get my period, i'm always testing!!
April 24th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
mirena here, but have also been on the pill and depo shot.

out of the 3 I prefer the IUD

only down side I have found is I have no sex drive AT ALL! I mean DH and I have only DTD 3-4x since Bailey was born. I don't even want to be touched. I get really bad cramps 1-2x a month and my skin is super super dry

the positives are not having to worry about anything, no period, but that can also bc of nursing

the pill I hated as I can barely remember anything let alone to take a pill everyday, I do not do well with pills

and the depo, while I loved not getting AF, I gained 60+ lbs on it, soooo not cool at just 14 years old!@

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
April 24th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Peytonsmomma
hmmm well then it looks like the mirena is the not the one for me i guess ill stick with the pill
April 25th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Miles' Mommy's Avatar Happy 1st time mom
Send a message via AIM to Miles' Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Miles' Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSarah1 View Post
Isn't that crazy? My friend's health insurance made her pay out of pocket for birth control but paid 80% for maternity visits/birth.
It's so crazy how insurance works. I was so excited to find out they would cover at least one form of birth control.

April 25th, 2010, 09:01 AM
** Tay **'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My insurance covered my mirena 100% ( after ded. was met of course and with just an office visit $20 co-pay)

April 25th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Peytonsmomma
i'm on state insurance so they cover family planning

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search