6 months appointment & update ( ear pulling ) post #8 & 16

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2010, 07:56 AM
elsi2009's Avatar Veteran
We had our appointment last Wednesday

Jasmins weight was 17 lbs , she was 27'' long and head circumf. was 17 ''
I mentioned that she was cooing far less from 3-6 months compared to her cooing a lot at about 1-3 months. Jasmins started to make more sounds again recently, my pediatrician said now that Jasmin verbalizes a lot ( also she said, Jasmin would try to communicate when I mentioned it at the 4 month appointment ). It seems Jasmin started talking more frequently when she started sitting unsupported. I ask about babbling 'bababa', the pediatrician said it will probably start at 8 months. Jasmin was fine with her shots, she cried for about half a minute.

Now the next day, we had our a trip to Spain on Thursday and thanks to the measurement of the volcanic ash, we could land in Europe, but during the flight from USA to Europe, Jasmin started to pull her right ear sometimes, but she wasn't fussy or so. I wonder whether it might be from teething or an ear infection, but she didn't have a cold. Anyone`s LO pulls her ears for no apparent reason? ( I can feel one tooth of her coming out )

Last edited by elsi2009; May 3rd, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
April 24th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Sounds like she is doing really well! Your little girl is long! Just like my Bailey

As far as the tugging her ear on the flight, that is supposed to be normal, as far as I know. Bailey has always played with her ears, so its just normal here

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
April 24th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaDucks View Post
Your little girl is long! Just like my Bailey

As far as the tugging her ear on the flight, that is supposed to be normal, as far as I know. Bailey has always played with her ears, so its just normal here
well, Jasmin with her 17 lbs is not only long ... : I`ve been having increased back pain since 2 weeks and I couldn`t go swimming for relief. Jasmin is not yet crawling, I hope it will be easier when she starts with crawling. I carry her around still often, I use the ERGO carrier when I carry her for longer than few minutes. As we are in Spain for a week, DH has to carry her
April 24th, 2010, 02:13 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like all is well.

Sounds like it is normal for her to be pulling on her ear.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

April 24th, 2010, 04:45 PM
It was strange as she started pulling her ear during landing,so I thought it might be the pressure of the air. Then my husband told me she did it also when we were on higher altitude and he was carrying her around in the plane. I still don`t know whether I have to worry or not. From my experience a cold in combination with nasal congestion are typical for a following ear infection, but Jasmin had neither,
Also, today we discovered a sharp edge at Jasmin`s jaw, her first tooth is coming. I read that pulling the ear can have to do with teething as infants cannot locate the pain precisely. I am not sure whether pulling her ear had a physical reason.
April 25th, 2010, 04:08 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
During take offs and landings you get pressure changes which you feel most in your ears. As adults we tend not to notice them all that much but babies and kids do. Try feeding her on take offs and landings or letting her suck on a paci to help stabilise the pressure changes.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

April 26th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Jasmin usually doesn`t take the pacifier. I tried to feed her during landing, but she didn`t like to eat during landing. It seems she stopped pulling her ears again yesterday.
May 1st, 2010, 06:42 AM
Jasmin`s ear pulling seemed to be radiating pain from teething. One tooth came out these days. She was fine on all her flights back, I tried to feed her during landing and take off ( the changes in air pressure should be less than 10 years ago, also next generation air planes should be better as material improves). She ate most of the time during landing and take off, but she usually eats fast ( I bought a baby scale as I could not images that Jasmin can gain weight as she used to eat for short intervalls only, but yes, she gains weight sufficiently (she`s in the 50% percentile or above ) . Jasmin often ate 5-7 minutes only, whereas they told us to expect up to 30 or 45 minutes for one breastfeeding meal in the birth class, so I found it reassuring to have a scale to measure her weight once or twice a week) .

I am still not sure whether I should have her ears checked or not. Depends on whether she continues pulling her ears or not. She shows no signs of ear infection ( like screaming in the night or so ).
One page, they said teething can mask an ear infection (fever, ear pulling can be both, she had no fever ). On internet, they wrote one needs to be Sherlock Holmes when it comes to babies pulling ears.( Ear pulling ONLY is usually not an ear infection, but also Jasmin didn`t look as pulling ears was due to being bored, for example. ) I don`t recall the pages I found via google.

Last edited by elsi2009; May 1st, 2010 at 07:26 AM. Reason: trying to be more precise etc
May 1st, 2010, 08:14 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Yeah the ear pulling could easily be from the change in pressure being on a plane or it could be from teething. Hopefully, her ears are perfectly fine.

May 1st, 2010, 08:22 AM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
Peyton pulls her ear when she's tired....we haven't been on a plane yet with her so I will be interested. When we were driving through the Alps on the way to Germany I had to give her her pacifier because of the pressure changes.

Good luck!

How did you like Spain? Any pictures? Dh and I talked about going there once he gets home for part of his 30-day leave....
May 1st, 2010, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulipDawn View Post
How did you like Spain? Any pictures? Dh and I talked about going there once he gets home for part of his 30-day leave....
in Spain I found they sell infant food with sugar in rice cereal ( one has to read the nutrition facts ) and they sell larger glasses of fruits and I found no vegetables-only glasses for infants. There, the vegetables are combined with meat or so. Or at least I didn't find those small glasses of organic vegetables, that we buy here in the USA. The weather was nice and Barcelona was nice, I was somehow concerned about air pollution there. Also I was already really tired when we had the connecting flight here in the USA when we came back. The long distance flight we flew Lufthansa, they provide bassinets on intercontinental flights, Jasmin slept 4 hours in it .
One short flight should be much easier than 2 short flight combined with a long distance flight. No pictures this time, we didn`t take the camera with us.

Last edited by elsi2009; May 1st, 2010 at 09:19 AM.
May 1st, 2010, 03:10 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Sounds like she's doing great!

My advice on the ear.. TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS! **My little man has had 4 ear infections so far.. No symptoms, no fever.. etc.. It just wouldn't hurt to get it checked out.. You just never know..

Edit to add:

Ear infections can happen over night.. A.J latest diagnoses.. He was seen Wednesday afternoon for his well baby check, he had just a little bit of fluid in his ears and it was not infected.. The next day, he was rubbing his ear and was a little cranky.. You'd think he was just teething.. I took him to the Peds office after work and his ear was really infected.. The Ped told me I was a great mom for trusting my instincts.. Of course, this is A.J's fourth one, I know what to look for.. lol

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; May 1st, 2010 at 03:14 PM.
May 1st, 2010, 04:23 PM
Ok, Jasmin again stopped pulling the ear, but probably I`m going to get her ears checked soon. I found on German webpages the info, from what I understood , that if babies have ear pain, the babies usually cry when one put them on their back an presses a bit at the ear - here ( see arrow on following picture - not on the opening of the ear: ) http://i43.tinypic.com/2vjbdkj.jpg

Last edited by elsi2009; May 1st, 2010 at 04:28 PM.
May 1st, 2010, 06:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsi2009 View Post
. Jasmin often ate 5-7 minutes only, whereas they told us to expect up to 30 or 45 minutes for one breastfeeding meal in the birth class, so I found it reassuring to have a scale to measure her weight once or twice a week) .
Usually BFed babies nurse 30-45 minutes as newborns, as they get older they become more efficient at getting the milk and nurse much shorter, average is 5-20 minutes/breast, I can't find the article but there is a really good one on kellymom.com re: this exact subject. If we are out and about Bailey only nurses 3-5 min/side and is content for 2+ hours, at home she eats for 10-15min/side and is ready to eat again in an hour and half-2 hours...

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
May 2nd, 2010, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaDucks View Post
Usually BFed babies nurse 30-45 minutes as newborns, as they get older they become more efficient at getting the milk and nurse much shorter, average is 5-20 minutes/breast, I can't find the article but there is a really good one on kellymom.com re: this exact subject. If we are out and about Bailey only nurses 3-5 min/side and is content for 2+ hours, at home she eats for 10-15min/side and is ready to eat again in an hour and half-2 hours...
as newborn, the first days I had to supplement Jasmin with bottle to gain her original weight back which she had @birth. My milk came in a little late, but with her weight she went from 20th percentile to 50th percentile at that days ( and about 50% in weight she stayed all the 6 months, DH was sometimes concerned as he was overweight in childhood and youth, but I guess 50% or a little more is good, given the fact that Jasmin is quite long ) The first month then Jasmin usually fell asleep during BF after few minutes and I didn`t always wake her up. Then she maybe woke up on her own some minutes later and continued breastfeeding, this sleeping/breastfeeding/sleeping/breastfeeding etc took me 2-3 hours sometimes.
After some weeks she started being gassy especially during breastfeeding and she started to complain a lot during breastfeeding and she didn`t fall asleep during BF anymore. Maybe she also complained as she preferred her supplemental bottle, so I stopped supplementing her with bottle therefore. Jasmin cried a lot in the evening (on the internet I found they say as oxycytin or some other hormone gets low in mom`s milk when mom doesn`t sleep during the day ) before falling asleep and a bottle was more helpful than BF to calm her down.
I could not imagine that she can eat that fast ( she ate again after 2-4 hours, sometimes after 1 hour ). So she ate 5-7 minutes at an age of 1-2 month, I was surprised that she gained weight.
Jasmin did much better during her feeding when she wasn`t that gassy anymore! I was close to ask an lactation consultant when Jasmin complained during BF.

Edit/Add: So finally another picture of Jasmin, taken few weeks ago here ( not in Spain ). I was a little sad that we made no photo of Grandma and Jasmin in Spain. Today I am not so tired anymore, I don`t want to take such a trip with an infant without DH, it can be exhausting.
http://i43.tinypic.com/70coeh.jpg

Last edited by elsi2009; May 2nd, 2010 at 05:24 AM.
May 3rd, 2010, 02:24 PM
We went to the doctor`s office to get Jasmin`s ears checked: no ear infection ( her drums look good ) , maybe the teething might be the rason for the ear pulling I was told
May 3rd, 2010, 02:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
its possible, slight fever and ear pulling are signs of teething

May 3rd, 2010, 03:32 PM
I didn`t know that ear pulling is so common and one of the most common reason for pediatrics office visits Detecting an Ear Infection | Dr Greene.com
It`s so difficult to say what`s going on when they cannot talk

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search