possible fall warning: infant climbing couch and falling from it and...

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2010, 11:09 PM
elsi2009's Avatar Veteran
Later: climbing the crib and falling from it.

A while ago I googled and found that crawling babies can fall from the couch when they can climb it.
(the mothers worried more or less depending on material of the floor on which the baby landed )

Prevention: being aware of that possibility that baby can climb up and fall, constant watching and putting the baby into crib or into a baby safe room ( without a couch ) when unattended for few seconds. I have no ultimate idea how to prevent that totally.

Next: when the babies start to stand, they might climb their crib and fall out ( my sister told me of that possibility and I googled, too)

Prevention: trying to observe the baby and once the baby tries to climb the crib maybe change the crib to a low bed ( toddler bed ) ? Some people ( google ) suggest to use a crib tent, but there are strong warnings on entanglement danger of crib tents.

Any other suggestions on prevention of those falls?

Last edited by elsi2009; April 29th, 2010 at 12:01 AM.
April 29th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
babies, when learning to climb, are going to fall. I remember when Thomas, and Collin wear learning to climb up they always fell down, I am not worried ab that at all. Once both boys wear able to climb up onto the couch they were also able to scoot their way off of it.

As for the crib, As soon as they are able to stand up and put there leg over the side then it is time to move out. That is what I did w Thomas. Not so much w Collin. I couldnt find the wrench to take the side of Collins crib (turn to toddler bed) and he climbed in and out himself for about 6 weeks, dangerous, depends on the child. Collin has always been an avid climber

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
April 29th, 2010, 05:41 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

April 29th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Veteran
I wouldn't worry too much about falls either. I would put the crib as low down as you can, but there isn't much you can do other than that. I used to watch Isaac climb up on everything and would let him that way he would "practice" so if he did it when I wasn't around it would be less likely that he would fall. Both my boys had several bloody lips and they both chipped their teeth by the time they were a year. It just happens. You might cry the first time it does, but you'll get used to it.
April 29th, 2010, 06:10 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
duct tape a pillow to their butts! just kidding. babies will climb and fall. they will also eat dirt and bugs. it's impossible to prevent every possible owie and it probably wouldn't be a good idea to anyway. i agree though that when baby can climb the crib it's time for them to not be in one.

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
April 29th, 2010, 03:09 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^No, no, just wrap their entire body in bubble wrap. But don't forget to poke out a few air holes.

Falling and getting hurt is a normal part of growing up. Its how some babies and children learn. I swear I can tell Jassie 100 times not to do something as she will fall and hurt herself but the message doesn't get through until she still does it and actually falls.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

May 1st, 2010, 09:27 AM
elsi2009's Avatar Veteran
The other risk for injury ( more or less slight ) seems to be, that they can hurt their head, when the crawl against a sharper egde of a table, for example. I guess there is no ultimate way to prevent that either. Would you put protection to sharper edges of furniture?
May 1st, 2010, 10:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
they sell things to put on the corners of tables to make it softer.
Honestly though I never used any of the child protector things they sell beside the outlet covers..

I mean Thomas ran into a door way and split his head open at 3 (6 stitches) How do you childproof a door jam? Ain't gonna happen. Kids will get hurt, it is apart of life. Taught him not to run in the house

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search