Parental comments

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Has anyone IRL ever make a comment to you about your parenting? Question you? Tell you you are doing something wrong?

The other night I was at a group at the rehab I go to, and some &^$@$ had the nerve to tell me if I didn't have kids so young I wouldn't have turned to drugs. It really, really got to me. I went off of course defending myself. I know if it weren't for a combination of PPD, greif, and peer pressure it wouldn't of happened. Imagine being at your very lowest point, wishing for death, and someone tells you they have a way to get rid of those feelings.

I also had someone tell me I was over protective at the park a couple weeks ago.
Unless I am at a fenced in park, and mostly even then, I follow Thomas and Collin. If it's just me, Thomas isn't allowed to walk away from Collin that way they're both in sight, and if Tom is there, I take one boy he takes the other, and I wear Bailey. This lady was sitting on a bench reading, periodically looking up at me talk to the boys. Thomas went to go to a different area and I told him he had to wait for Collin to finish on the slide he was playing on. Lady had the nerve to tell me it's a park and he should have free reign. Maybe in a few years or if he was w a group of kids I knew.. Not yet. Nope.

Then of course there are the people who assume I am a skank w three different baby's daddy's because of my age and have three kids under 5.

Sorry for the long post, anyone else?

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
April 29th, 2010, 05:12 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had any.

Sorry people should just leave their comments to themselves sometimes.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

April 29th, 2010, 05:33 AM
elsi2009's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaDucks View Post
[B]

The other night I was at a group at the rehab I go to, and some &^$@$ had the nerve to tell me if I didn't have kids so young I wouldn't have turned to drugs.

I would tell them that you have no time machine and you cannot go back in time to do everything different. Even then you don`t know what would have happened.

Last edited by elsi2009; April 29th, 2010 at 06:23 AM.
April 29th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Veteran
I would say screw them! I don't know why people feel the need to comment about other people's lives. I still follow my boys around our playground which is fenced in. The playground we go to is always crowded and you never know if someone is there trying to snatch a kid. I would say you're doing your job as a mom and watching out for your kids. I wouldn't call it overprotective.
April 29th, 2010, 06:25 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
screw nosy park lady! none of her business at all!

i have one friend who asks every time i talk to her if i'm weaning echo yet. um, no. i've also had a few people tell me that echo will walk late because i wear her. oh and my favorite one still was the woman who told me i was being over protective by not letting people hold echo at my grandmothers funeral. she was four days old!

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!

Last edited by ThatGirl; April 29th, 2010 at 06:39 AM.
April 29th, 2010, 06:26 AM
addressing the "overprotection": it is probably also controversial how far the freedom of people in general can/should/have to be limited for their own safety due to the possibility of dangerous people
I think it`s good to watch the kids how you did, but I have no experience with toddlers
April 29th, 2010, 06:34 AM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my sister means well and its not condesending but she will very often question my ways
the only thing that has happened with a stranger is an elderly lady was like "oh you give her a pacifier? hmm."

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

April 29th, 2010, 06:41 AM
disturbedangel121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to disturbedangel121 Send a message via MSN to disturbedangel121 Send a message via Yahoo to disturbedangel121
My MIL is the worst for this.. She nags me almost daily about Jeffrey not being potty trained yet, that jordan hasn't been baptized.. and any other little thing she can think of.. pretty much everything I do in her mind is wrong.. but then again she should learn how to control her own child before questioning the way I parent mine.

April 29th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedangel121 View Post
My MIL is the worst for this.. She nags me almost daily about Jeffrey not being potty trained yet, that jordan hasn't been baptized.. and any other little thing she can think of.. pretty much everything I do in her mind is wrong.. but then again she should learn how to control her own child before questioning the way I parent mine.

I get crap ab not potty training Collin and ab him not talking, how am i suppsoed to potty train when he doesnt talk?

I also get a lot of comments from my father ab how my kids are going straight to hell because I wont baptize them

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
April 29th, 2010, 06:52 AM
My mom tried to convince me to put honey onto the pacifier as Jasmin spits it out. I tried to explain her about danger of botulism and honey in infants, then she told me to use Nutella instead.
April 29th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Peytonsmomma
if me and her father were still togethre his mom would be doing the nagging and wanted me to give her water the 1st week she was born, but since i don't see her anymore-praise the Lord I don't have to deal with her

her dad has told me i spoil her to much b/c i hold her alot and go to her when she cries well now that he has to be a father she screams when she is with him-i laugh

i had one woman at the grocery store start shaking peytons car seat when she was crying and the cashier told me that i spoil my child b/c she is crying -i told her look B**** she is 4 weeks old she has COLIC do you want to come to my house and listen to her cry 24 hrs a day this is NOTHING!
April 29th, 2010, 03:36 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had a person say that we had no right to have Lucy after loosing Zac.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

April 29th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellieB View Post
I've had a person say that we had no right to have Lucy after loosing Zac.

That is just cruel and wrong. I am so sorry someone had the audacity to say that to you.

April 29th, 2010, 03:56 PM
*Crystal*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't believe that person would say something like that to you. People need to learn to keep their comments to themselves. No one wants a critique on their parenting style.

I have had quite a few people make comments to me. The one I got the most (when DS was a few weeks old... most people leave me alone about it now) was people commenting on the co-sleeping. People would asked how and where he was sleeping and I would tell them and they would go into how dangerous it is and how I will never get him out of our bed. People also comment on his weight all the time. He is a big boy but it isn't like I am feeding him junk. He is breastfed and has fruits and veggies. His doctor is happy with his growth and thinks he is doing perfect.. that is all I care about. My mom and dad have started to ask me when I plan to wean DS... and when I tell them when he WANTS to be weaned or 18 months they roll their eyes. I am in NO hurry to wean him.

I have a "friend" who had a baby a few months after DS was born (it was her first child to). She acts as if she knows sooo much more then me and is always trying to give me advice. It drives me crazy. I will make a comment on facebook about something Breckin is doing or something I am doing for him and she will be like "You know you need to do it this way..."

The thing is... with all the criticism or comments I get from people those same people will turn right around and comment about what a happy baby he is.
April 29th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to shannonkcc
Anyone who knows me doesn't dare critique my parenting( I can be quite ******). Not to mention that my oldest is usually the most well behaved child around. She actually listens. As for strangers if they do say something blow up at them. I think maybe I have an anger problem...LOL. We get a lot of the baptism thing but we are in no way, shape, or form religious. So DH gets pretty heated about that. He usually says some things I won't say here as I do not wish to offend anyone. BTW I think the way you keep an eye on your kids at the park is the best way. There are too many perverts out there now.

Thank you "Babydoll213" for a beautiful siggie.

April 29th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Peytonsmomma
mellie~ that is so sad! I'm sorry you've had to deal with that !

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search