phthalate/organic baby products & add: more on BPA #4

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2010, 03:55 PM
elsi2009's Avatar Veteran
The EWG published an article on phthalate in baby products in 2008
Safe Alternatives to Baby Lotions and Wipes | Environmental Working Group
In the article, there`s a link to a company which sells organic products
( correct me if I am wrong - as far as I know BPA mimics the hormone estrogen and phthalate targets the hormone testosterone )

Last edited by elsi2009; May 4th, 2010 at 08:47 AM.
May 3rd, 2010, 05:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
thanks for the article

May 3rd, 2010, 06:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Quote:
Baby powders often contain talc too, which is a carcinogen, and can irritate airways when inhaled.
I swear I read a few years ago, baby powder no longer contains talc due to the increase of resp. problems?

Maybe I am just not the worrying type, but there is no way I am giving up my diaper wipes

Thank you for posting the article!

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
May 4th, 2010, 04:53 AM
I checked it and I found talc ( and fragrance ) in the babypwoder that we have at home. Maybe it's an older product.

edit: Yesterday I started to compose my "newest plan": I`ll try to get those 7th generation wipes and diapers ( a Skin Deep comment on that product said, they sell it at BRU ) They have a low hazard score of 1 ( at Skin Deep ) . Often those products with low hazard scores are difficult to find in stores. More on phthalates americanchemistry.com/phthalates : Endocrine Disruption

I checked Jasmins teether : Teethers and Toys < Nuby Products | Nby?
I found it t be PVC, BPA free and phthalate free
BPA, PVC and Phthalate Free Baby Teether Guide | The Soft Landing Blog

( I recently read an article that in Germany they already avoid BPA more than in most other countries, also in Europe phthalate in Kid`s toys are not allowed, at least they banned 6 kinds of phtalate - I came across this topic as yesterday I had an discussion with my dad on BPA and he asked what exactly is BPA, whether it`s plastic softener. I looked it up and found it as plastic hardener, as softener I then found phthalate. Therefore I checked for it)
I am trying to translate the content of the bolded text of this article , which was preliminary for banning 6 phthalates in Europe toy.de - Verbot von bestimmten Phthalaten in Spielzeug und Babyartikeln
DEHP, DBP and BBP ( certain phthalates ) are not allowed to be used in concentration higher than 0.1 % of plastic softener-mass of the baby article and toy.
text is nearly identical for DINP, DIDP and DNOP , except that those are the 3 phthalates banned "only" for anything that babys and kids can possibly take into mouth at an age below 3 years (I hope it's not too confusing.)

( On an American forum I read that articles made in China may often be free of phthalates as some phthalates are banned in Europe )

Also I am planning to buy a stainless steel coffee machine ( BPA leaches out more effectively when water is heated and I started to drink half a cup of caffeinnated coffee due to my recent jetlag. Jasmin seems okay with amount of caffein that I drink). I still have to check the water bottles that I usually drink on BPA. More on BPA (again ) BPA Plastic
In order to try to avoid lead in lipstick I am going to buy an Aveedo. I look sooo pale without lipstick

Hm , I still have no ultimate strategy to avoid phthalate AND BPA in toys ( phthalate can be avoided when one buys from companies that sell in Europe that same products, too, but there is no BPA ban in Europe, except for baby bottles )
BPA Ban Introduced; U.S. Lawmakers Follow Canada and Europe in Outlawing Toxic Plastic Chemical Attorney At Law
so maybe signing that petition makes some sense Sign the KSCA Petition | Kid Safe Chemicals Interactive Magazine | Environmental Working Group
I wonder why there's a phthalate ban in Europe, but no BPA ban for toys in Europe then.
Finally I found this company Non-Toxic Tots, Safe Toys and More.

Last edited by elsi2009; May 4th, 2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: my computer is stubborn?! & trying to be more precise & changing diaper
May 5th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Here`s just more on phthalates
Finding Non-Toxic Toys . NOW on PBS
Efforts To Ban Phthalates . NOW on PBS
Toxic Toys? . NOW on PBS

National Campaigns | Moms Rising

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search