birth-related post traumatic stress disorder?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2010, 09:48 AM
elsi2009's Avatar Veteran
For about 2 weeks after I gave birth, I have had frequent nightmares (one nightmare/night) . I thought that`s normal. Over the last several months, the frequency of my nightmares decreased, now I might have one nightmare per week.
I found on the internet that nightmares after giving birth might be sign of post traumatic stress disorder , which seems to be different to postpartum depression.
I wonder as I had no complication during labor and delivery, except there was no time for me to have an epidural ( it was a vaginal delivery after labor was induced as my water broke ). When I was pushing, my OB told me I don`t look as I was in labor and also I was told that I was very controlled, so I wonder why would I suffer a traumatic stress afterwards? My mood seems normal, I had the "common"baby blues for 4-5 days after delivery. Anyone here with similar experience, like having nightmares after delivery?
May 5th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Veteran
Are you sure it just isn't purely stress without the trauma? I get nightmares when I'm stressed. My 3 year old was really sick a couple days ago and it was so stressful and I've had nightmares the past 2 nights. I notice whenever my life gets crazy, and it usually surrounds my kids, I get nightmares.
May 5th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
I think you are just finding a link to give it reason. I have had 3 'perfect' L&D's and since before kids I have always been one to have frequent nightmares, they get worse the more I stress ab things, like the PP said..

If you are concerned Id call your dr and ask about it

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
May 6th, 2010, 05:47 AM
elsi2009's Avatar Veteran
Yes, it might be pure stress. Currently I am not too concerned about my nightmares, as I don`t have them so often anymore. Also, when I have a nightmare, it does not impact my mood afterwards.
I tend to have nightmares, when I wake up at 6 in the morning and in case Jasmin still sleeps and continues, I usually sleep for one more hour or so. After waking up again, I might remember a nightmare in some cases. I could probably avoid it by not going to sleep in the morning again.
May 6th, 2010, 06:58 AM
disturbedangel121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to disturbedangel121 Send a message via MSN to disturbedangel121 Send a message via Yahoo to disturbedangel121
I didn't even know stress caused nightmares... that explains a lot..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search