Need help with constipation or hard poop*****Update in post #11***

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Super Mommy
Weíve tried everything and it seems to be getting worse. If it does not get better by his next appt in July then Iíll ask the dr to do several test to see what could be the reason. He poops every other day and they are always balled up, dark to almost black and hard. Sometimes I wonder how he passed such a Ďballí.

Before he started solids when we give him prune juice (diluted) heíll pass the hard one but later during the day he would pass a softer poop. Now with prune juice, fruits, oatmeal and formula we are not getting any soft poop at all. I canít remember the last time he had a soft poop (thatís how long ago).

A friend says he is not getting enough fluids so do pedialyte. We did pedialyte yesterday (he wonít take more than 3 oz the whole day), a jar or pears, oatmeal and formula and nothing, this morning started with pedialyte but he didnít want it, fruit and formula and around 2pm today pooped hard round poop like marbles. His formula is Enfamil with added starch. He started taking it around 3 months to control spit ups but I think it might be the culprit so Iím switching back to regular Enfamil. Hopefully it works.

Do you think this is constipation or is something else. If it is constipation what else can I do?

Last edited by faith2006; May 15th, 2010 at 07:52 AM.
May 7th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Peytonsmomma
Stop feeding him Enfamil, have you tried Gerber Gentle Plus?
i've tried every brand and the gentle plus was the only one that worked for her
Peyton went through the same thing you are going through
May 7th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Blondn6ft's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you using the Nutramigen or the AR ?
We have had great luck with the Nutramigen slowing (almost stopping) the spitting up ... and her poops are rolling out without any problems now.

She was a little constipated with the AR stuff ... and we used the ole' thermometer in rear a few times and used a baby dose of baby laxitive ... WOW did that work quickly !!

May 8th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Super Mommy
I'm using Enfamil AR. I am going to try nutramigen for about a month if there is no changes, I'll try Gerber Gentle plus.

Thanks ladies
May 8th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
definitely is constipation, personally I would call the dr instead of waiting until July. Please keep us posted. Collin has always had poop like this, for the past year or so, nothing was wrong..

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
May 8th, 2010, 11:47 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have heard things about enfamil causing bowel problems. you can also try a bottle of water

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

May 8th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Super Mommy
He does not like drinking water,tried with prune juice, tried pedialyte...won't take more than 2oz if that. Hopefully the change in formula will help.
May 8th, 2010, 04:37 PM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
Catie went through a couple of days where she had a hard time pooping. That was when we upped the solids from 1 to 2x's per day. I think her body was just adjusting to more solids. Now she poops 2-3x's a day! i wish she'd take a break LOL! Have you tried applesauce? I normally make my own applesauce for catie. But yesterday we were at my mom's and i didn't have any baby food with me. My mom had some unsweetened applesauce there, so i fed it to Catie. About an hour later she filled her diaper big time. Took about 4 wipes to clean her up.

We also use Goodstart Gentle plus. We like it and don't have any complaints about it.

May 8th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Peytonsmomma
ooohh applesauce works wonders for peyton
May 8th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Hi.. This is A.J's mom.. My other screen name is having issues, so I made up this one until my other one is fixed..

Have you considered using Probiotics? Probiotics promotes intestinal health.. You know those Activia commercials? What causes regularity in Activa is Probiotics..

My daughter has constipation issues.. She's a vary picky eater and eats small meals. She's been that way since birth.. I had her on Miralax for a while, but then I stopped and started Probitoics (Yum Yum brand) and since we started Probitoics she's become regular..

I give A.J probiotics to help with his eczema.. So far it has made a difference..

Probiotics for Infant Health: Using Healthy Bacteria to Heal Your Baby

I personally wouldn't go on Neutramagin unless you have no other option. A.J was on it for 8 weeks and caused him to have serious diaper rashes. Plus, it's expensive and what may cause some babies to become regular is because Neutramagin contains Enflora LGG, which is Probitoics..

I use baby Jarro-Dophilus with A.J.. So far it's been doing wonders.. No diaper rashes.. lol I just think Jarro is a much better quality then Neuramagin.. If you want to try it, you can find it at Super Supplements in the refrigorator section, it costs about $20..

Baby's Jarro-Dophilus
May 15th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies, since we switched from Enfamil AR to regular enfamil and increased his fruits we've gone from hard poop every 2 days to not so hard twice a day. I appreciate all the suggestions.

I was going to avoid apple sauce because I read it causes constipation but I guess will try that too.

Thanks
May 15th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
I am so glad things are getting better!

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
May 15th, 2010, 06:28 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay for poop!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search