Been doing sleep training

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2010, 08:15 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really was hoping that I didn't need to do sleep training, but my little guy just won't go to sleep at night on his own. I know, for his own good, that I have to let him cry for at least a little bit. So, I started with 5 minutes, then 10, and now am up to 15 minutes of crying. It breaks my heart, but he has to learn to soothe himself to sleep. Last night, he stood in his crib for about 12 minutes crying, then sat down and cried. I went in, laid him down, patted his back, and jiggled his butt, while saying "Mommy loves you. It's night night time." After about 5 minutes, he was asleep. And guess what! He actually slept through the night. He even slept through his Angelcare monitor beeping (Had rolled out of the sensor pad range).

I must say that it was very difficult to not pick Billy up to soothe him. I wanted so badly to hug and kiss him, but knew that I needed to just lay him down and pat his back.

BTW - it wAS 10:00 pm when I put him to bed, so he definitely was tired. He just fights his sleep.
June 16th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Veteran
I have to do that to Sofia sometimes bc I know she is sleepy but she fights it like nobody's business!!!! It IS hard but it works out better in the long run....

Thank you Katarina for my beautiful siggie!!
June 16th, 2010, 09:26 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is so hard to hear them cry! It sounds like you're doing a great job. That's awesome he fell asleep on his own and slept through the night.

June 16th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Veteran
Jennifer - I too work myself up in minutes. LOL! The first time I thought she had been crying for like 20 minutes and it was 2! LOL!

June 16th, 2010, 10:02 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You will NOT regret it! All 3 of my girls are awesome sleepers and it's because I MADE them be. It sucked, I always felt horrible and guilty but once they started sleeping, they were happier, we were all happier. Good luck Mama!!

June 16th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the support ladies. It is difficult to do, but as so many have said, it is what's best for my baby. Plus, the not sleeping has become a danger to me and others. I have been so tired driving home from work that I have actually swerved into the lane next to me. My reaction times have been super slow and I have caught myself closing my eyes while driving! The other week, I wouldn't drive my son home from my mom's until I got a couple hours of sleep. I felt that it was too dangerous to put him in my car while I was that exhausted. I had to do the same thing on Monday.
June 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Veteran
Yes, sleep deprivation helps no one! You are no good to yourself or your baby!! Sleep is not over rated...GET SOME!!!

Good luck with the sleep training. Keep us posted!

June 16th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks Bortega. I'm no good to my hubby either being so sleep deprived!
June 16th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Veteran
Oh right...forget about those hubbies.

June 16th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
I am so glad it is working for you! It has not worked for any of my kids. I tried w Thomas, each night for a week he cried and cried all night long until I rocked him to sleep. Now he goes to bed on his own w/o a prob at 830-9 and gets up between 630-9, has been STTN since 6 wks old, started going to bed on his own-awake- at 10 mos.

Collin, never had to do it, ALWAYS went to sleep on his own and always was an ideal sleeper.

Bailey, needs to be nursed or given a bottle to sleep. I don't mind though, there was one week when I was done w it, but could not handle her crying, the ONLY way to get her to stop crying was to nurse her. Whenever she starts REALLY crying nursing/bottles are the ONLY way to soothe her.

As for sleep training-It's not for me, but if it works for you and whoever else does it, more power to ya. I will patiently (or not so patiently) wait for her to become a good sleeper like my boys.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
June 16th, 2010, 01:39 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did it, took 3 days with Tegan. Best thing we ever did. She pretty much overnight became such a happy baby once she started sleeping. Goodluck!
June 16th, 2010, 04:05 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was lucky. I was blessed with good sleepers from the start. Good luck though.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

June 16th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
sounds like he is much happier now, it can be hard good job mama i am lucky and not lucky at the same time Elise has always done pretty good sleeping but we could never do CIO because if she cries to much she pukes yuck

June 16th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just started letting CIO and it has not been easy but she would would throw such a big tantrum when she felt i was laying he in the crib , she would arch her back and cry loud like she was hurt and i would just grab and rock her and samething.

I was never a big fan of letting them CIO never did it wit ds , we would always give in. But i have to say he is a bad sleeper , he can never go to sleep early. So i knew that had to change with babygirl. esp since we are prego and # 3

I actually started out about 10mins and then 20min for 1 week straight , it was heartbreaking , i would just lay in bed and watch her through the baby moniter sit there and cry and cry and ocasionally look at the cam , i think it was worse when it sounded she was saying "mama" and i could see her lil hands opening and closing like she was saying "come get me"

anyways right when i would be like im going to go get her she would lay her self down and whine a lil til she fell asleep . It def has gotten easier , when i lay her and she crys i just patt her on her back and she falls asleep.

Its hard but its great in the long run. kinda of wish i would of been a lil more stricter with ds.

June 17th, 2010, 06:02 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
Ok, I wasn't going to jump into this thread because I don't want to start a debate. So all I'm going to say is that I have heard great things about The No Cry Sleep Solution book. You can find it here.

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
June 17th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the link ThatGirl I know CIO or sleep training is not for everyone. The only thing that makes is bearable is that my son will do the following:

Cry
laugh when I come in the room
Cry
Stop to see if I am coming
Cry
Laugh when I come into the room

You don't know how many times I have rocked him to sleep only to have him sit up and start laughing. Of course I get all warm n fuzzy feeling inside when I hear my baby laugh.
June 17th, 2010, 10:39 AM
** Tay **'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jennifer* View Post
Cry
Cry
Cry

Ty started doing this a couple weeks ago... shes had always been a good sleeper before... normally going down at 830-9 and not up till 4ish for a feeding, and then backdown until 7....
lately shes wanting to keep herself awake till 11! I nurse her either until she falls into a light sleep or is very drowsy.... normally she would fall asleep as soon as she hit her bed, but now she will cry and cry if I lay her down, but will stop as soon as she sees me or I pick her up.

Weve been doing more of a modified sleep method... I dont let her cry for more than 5-10minutes, pick her up, comfort her and lay her down when shes calm. I really only have to repeat this a couple times... and I can tell we are getting back into her old sleep pattern again.... I just dont have the heart to hear her cry like that. The modified version isnt bad... she doesnt get super worked up in only 5 minutes. We will continue this until she is sleeping well again and will probably try again when I am ready to wean her ( or she is ready, rather) of nighttime nursing

Im not a fan of CIO, but Im ok with a modified version.... I want to get her back on track!

Hope you guys get a nice schedule soon too!

Last edited by ** Tay **; June 17th, 2010 at 03:11 PM.
June 17th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Tay - I'm glad the modified version is working for you. I have actually done that too.
June 17th, 2010, 12:37 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jennifer* View Post
Cry
Cry
Cry

Levi did that for a few days. Such a faker!

June 17th, 2010, 09:43 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm generally not a fan of traditional CIO but I do like the ferber method, which is when you go in and comfort the baby every X amount of minutes and sometimes even stay in the room with them while they cry. It worked really well for DD and we started doing it at 10 months. It took like 3 nights and she was able to go to sleep without crying at all. I don't think we'll have to do it with Peyton as all as she just goes to sleep on her own so well anyways.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search