Logistics of moving to milk???

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay- I am not understanding what to do once we move from BM to cow's milk if we want to go for a long hike or something. Do I have to bring a cooler pack with cold milk in it? How often do toddlers need milk? Man, these boobs are convenient! Why does it always seem you never know how easy you have it until you've moved on to something else?

Thank you Vicki for my siggy!
October 21st, 2010, 07:08 AM
ChristinaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah it makes things much harder but you get used to it. I'm so used to always having a bottle bag I think nothing of it now. Every time I leave the house I grab the bottle bag and some freezer packs, they last a long time. I have really big packs just because I'm paranoid of his bottles getting warm so mine last for atleast 5 hours in the insulated bag. They'll be thirsty the same way as now. I'd say atleast every two to three hours they'll want to drink.

Last edited by ChristinaR; October 21st, 2010 at 08:35 AM.
October 21st, 2010, 09:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Cool! Thanks for the feedback. Where does one find a bottle bag, or will a regular lunch cooler do the job? I'm especially worried for a long plane trip we are planning after I plan to transition to milk.

October 21st, 2010, 09:25 AM
ChristinaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think as long as the cups aren't leaky, a regular insulated lunch tote/cooler will do for short trips. I remember my sister when we were out in about, would just stop at Dunkin Donuts or other FF chains and just oder a jug of milk and dump that into their sippy cups when she was worried about them staying fresh. Most airlines will carry milk onboard so you shouldn't have a problem getting milk through them.

October 21st, 2010, 09:56 AM
Super Mommy
Toddlers only need 16oz of whole milk a day the other dairy servings coming from foods... I usually suggest to offer milk at meal or bedtimes ( if child still wants it then) and then offer water between meals.... W/ FF that is part of the reason you begin to decrease formula amounts as you approach 1 year so that they get used to eating most of their kcals and not drinking them.... Im a bit worried myself about the swict from BM to whole milk as well though so I understand

October 21st, 2010, 10:10 AM
YoungerMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to YoungerMomma
THe other girls gave you great advise! I will offer the Milk at meal times Breakfast lunch dinner.
October 21st, 2010, 01:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungerMomma View Post
THe other girls gave you great advise! I will offer the Milk at meal times Breakfast lunch dinner.
That's what I was thinking too. Offer milk at meals, or other times we're home. And if we're out, just make sure I have plenty of food and water.

October 21st, 2010, 11:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
Okay- I am not understanding what to do once we move from BM to cow's milk if we want to go for a long hike or something. Do I have to bring a cooler pack with cold milk in it? How often do toddlers need milk? Man, these boobs are convenient! Why does it always seem you never know how easy you have it until you've moved on to something else?
Do you have to move fully to cows milk, can you continue nursing part time? This way when you're out and about you don't have to worry about packing milk along for extended trips?

We're not going to move to cows milk until she's closer to 18-24 months just because of her dairy sensitivities when I'm consuming dairy i'm afraid to even test how she does getting the dairy straight to her stomach. We'll continue nursing until 2-3 anyways.

Thank you so much -Vicki-for my siggie

October 22nd, 2010, 10:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinaL View Post
Do you have to move fully to cows milk, can you continue nursing part time? This way when you're out and about you don't have to worry about packing milk along for extended trips?

We're not going to move to cows milk until she's closer to 18-24 months just because of her dairy sensitivities when I'm consuming dairy i'm afraid to even test how she does getting the dairy straight to her stomach. We'll continue nursing until 2-3 anyways.
I'm going to let her keep nursing at night and first thing in the AM, but I am planning on transitioning to cow's milk for day time and I think keeping that consistent between the week and weekend will make the transition between non-daycare and daycare days easier for her. I also think it will let my body adjust better to when I need and don't need milk. (This is just my best guess based on what I've read so far.) Although- I have been looking at toddler formula as a possibility (crazy since she's never had formula, but the added vitamins tied with the convenience of power to have available is making me wonder if it would be something to use occasionally after we've moved her to cow's milk. I mean cow's milk when it's readily available, but keeping formula around for when having something cold on hand is going to be a challenge.)

October 22nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
I'm going to let her keep nursing at night and first thing in the AM, but I am planning on transitioning to cow's milk for day time and I think keeping that consistent between the week and weekend will make the transition between non-daycare and daycare days easier for her. I also think it will let my body adjust better to when I need and don't need milk. (This is just my best guess based on what I've read so far.) Although- I have been looking at toddler formula as a possibility (crazy since she's never had formula, but the added vitamins tied with the convenience of power to have available is making me wonder if it would be something to use occasionally after we've moved her to cow's milk. I mean cow's milk when it's readily available, but keeping formula around for when having something cold on hand is going to be a challenge.)
That's a good idea, i've seen toddler formulas! There's nothing stating you can't give her formula just because she hits 12 months exactly. I think it depends on your family and your situation and what works best for everybody.

With Declan I just continued nursing him until he was almost 2 and didn't find the need for cows milk before then. Kendrick nursed until 5-6 months and then moved to soy formula since the cows milk ones gave him tummy aches and then slowly weaned from formula to cows milk at a year and a half I think.

It's good you're not going to cut the boob off completely for your sake as well as hers, but I like the idea of keeping it consistent between daycare and home days so she doesn't have a hard time transitioning back and forth between the two, and morning and bedtime will be special times for you guys to cuddle up and chill out before the busyness and after the separation while you work. I still don't know when i'll be going back to work or if i'll be going to school, i'm leaning towards working part time and just continuing to live on an extreme budget. But i'm thinking i'll probably just pump milk and send her to daycare with a bottle or two depending on what I decide to do.

Thank you so much -Vicki-for my siggie

October 22nd, 2010, 06:12 PM
Super Mommy
Horizon

We are planning to use these when we are on the go. I drank a lot of them (esp the chocolate) when I was pregnant. I was suprised that they actually taste good at room temp.
October 22nd, 2010, 07:53 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Ill usually just Puck up milk when I'm out from a.mini mart or drive through makes it eaiser

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search