I wanna know....

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2010, 12:20 AM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What holidays/traditions do you celebrate? I know we all talk about Christmas this time of year, but I am very interested in learning about other cultures, traditions, religions, etc.

Do you celebrate Christmas?

What holidays do you celebrate? Are they from a specific culture? Can you give me a rundown of what they are all about, when they are, etc?

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!
December 3rd, 2010, 07:06 AM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
We are going to celebrate Christmas this year because Dh and the rest of the family are Christian.

But this is also the first year that we are going to celebrate Yule. Yule is celebrated a lot like Christmas. My house is going to be decorated in evergreens and we will have a Yule Log candle if I can find one. And on Yule I'm planning to stay up all night following the tradition. Yule is mainly about spending time with family and friends because the winter solstice is the longest night of the year. Its a night to celebrate because after that night the nights get shorter and the days longer. The story behing the tradition of staying up all night is that the sun is reborn on Yule night and we stay up to make sure it is going to rise the next morning.

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

December 3rd, 2010, 03:00 PM
babydaniel09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
These are my personal traditions, we don't follow any religiously, but here ya go:
- decorating the house before the 1st of December
-Cookies out for Santa, and carrots for the reindeer
-Each kid gets one present Christmas eve (new pyjamas and a book)
-We do a big breakfast cook up Christmas morning after presents

That's all I can think of for now I'm so excited that this year we are having Christmas at our new house, yay!!
Mommy to Matthew, Mason, and Mikayla, #4 due to arrive nov 27 2013

December 3rd, 2010, 04:16 PM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesaDreamer View Post
We are going to celebrate Christmas this year because Dh and the rest of the family are Christian.

But this is also the first year that we are going to celebrate Yule. Yule is celebrated a lot like Christmas. My house is going to be decorated in evergreens and we will have a Yule Log candle if I can find one. And on Yule I'm planning to stay up all night following the tradition. Yule is mainly about spending time with family and friends because the winter solstice is the longest night of the year. Its a night to celebrate because after that night the nights get shorter and the days longer. The story behing the tradition of staying up all night is that the sun is reborn on Yule night and we stay up to make sure it is going to rise the next morning.
Wow, I have never heard of that. Pretty neat meaning to it though! What day is Yule?

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!
December 3rd, 2010, 06:25 PM
maryslittlelambs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eh..ours gets messed up with deployments and moving and such. This year we are actually going to be HOME for Christmas and I'm SO excited! DH couldn't drag me out of here this year...
We do hang up stockings...kids get those first. Oh, I always put a new toothbrush in their stockings...silly little thing.

Thank you *kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!

December 3rd, 2010, 10:55 PM
kristianna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Because DH is Indian and I grew up in Holland we get a weird mix of holidays every year. This is not a full list but the main ones.. We celebrate:
India's Republic day (think 4th of July with parades etc)
Valentine's day
Koninginendag - It's a celebration of the Queen's birthday in Holland, all things orange. Celebrated with orange colored foods.
Easter - we usually go out for a nice bunch and I give Anaiah a new dress to wear and an easter basket, egg hunt when she's older.
4th of July
Diwali - Indian festival of lights. Everyone wears pretty clothes and eats lots of sweets. The homes are decorated with lights and presents are exchanged. (kinda like their Christmas, only usually in October)
Charva Chaud - It's a fast women keep for one day for the health and wellbeing of their husbands. While I am no a Hindu I do keep a fast in my own way on this day.
Navratri/Dusherra - Indian festival - not entirely sure where these come from - lots of sweets and family visits.
Sinterklaas (dec5/6) Sinterklaas (st. Nicholas) comes on a boat from Spain to reward good children with candy and gifts. He rides on a horse stopping at every door to reward good kids and punish bad ones. I try to get together with other Dutch friends in Delhi and we celebrate with special cookies and exchange gifts sometimes with silly poems. This year I was hoping to take Anaiah to see the Sint at the embassy but I'm just not up for it today. We also put out a shoe with a carrot for the horse. Which in return is usually filled with marsipan candies and mandarin oranges. Anaiah will be getting chocolate coins and an orange because that's what I could find this year.
Christmas! Tree, cookies, family time, good food, presents and friends. Gratitute for the real meaning of Christmas!

Thank you Vicki for the BEEautiful siggie!

December 4th, 2010, 02:55 PM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by katidid622 View Post
Wow, I have never heard of that. Pretty neat meaning to it though! What day is Yule?

Yule is celebrated ont he day of the Winter Solstice. Which is December 21st this year!

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

December 4th, 2010, 09:53 PM
jennifer13's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we celebrate xmas we have a big feast at my moms and open a few gifts. but we also celebrate

Dia de los Reyes ( three kings day ) * i had to copy this so bad *

The Feast of the Three Kings also known as the Epiphany takes place every year on January 6th. It is an intricate part of Puerto Rican folklore. Traditionally, this day is very important, especially for children, for it is on this eve that they will receive their gifts. On the feast of the Epiphany, the Three kings visited the newly born Christ Child in Bethlehem bearing him gifts. This tradition is repeated and reflected in present day with the belief that on this eve the 3 Kings will visit every good child to deliver them gifts. Tradition states that on the Eve of the Epiphany children collect hay, straw or grass and place it in boxes or containers under their beds. This gesture is a gift of food for the Kings' Horses while they rest in between deliveries.

we do that we keep the tree up until the 6th, were my mom lives in brooklyn they have a parade and we always go to that. In Puerto Rico. they have cars and trucks go all over giving out candy and balls to all the children. you can hear the music from miles away. they also have camels by city hall.

Tags
christmas , holidays , qotd

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search