Diaper changes. Need help

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
Ok so Liana has been fighting me the last couple of days on diaper changes and its getting frustrating. She kicks screams, rolls, anything to keep from laying down. I have tried a stuffed dog pillow to lay on, toys, tv....... its not working. Sometimes it takes 2 people to do it and I don't have DH home until after 2pm.

Ideas or thoughts or is this just a phase?

January 16th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
My daughter has never gone through the diaper fighting stage, but A.J is.. I just give him items to distract him.. Another diaper, cards, basically anything to keep him occupied while I change him..

January 16th, 2011, 12:02 PM
** Tay **'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ty did that for awhile... so frustrating. I just distracted her with a book, toy or my cell....or tried to hold her down with my leg (id just change her on the floor).... I made sure to giver her no reaction except a stern NO. She's better about it now, hopefully its a quick stage for you too

January 16th, 2011, 12:15 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Use a changing table. It's up higher and narrow, so they realize they can't roll. I have strapped Abby on the table to change her too, so she can't roll or sit up. I give her a baby wipe (because she loves them) and she wipes her face or belly while I change her.

January 16th, 2011, 12:38 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're going through that same thing right now. I find if I give him something he doesn't normally get to play with that helps.

We have a bag of those little plastic play gym rings that I give him, so he spends his time pulling those out. Also the wipes box works. He loves pulling them all out. We have to mix it up every day or he gets bored with them, then start the rotation again every 3rd or 4th day.

January 16th, 2011, 01:20 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am with Paula on the changing table. Billy rolls around everywhere if I don't use it. Hopefully it's just a phase. Billy went through a kicking as I changed him phase.
January 16th, 2011, 01:28 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tegan went through this a couple weeks ago. So frustrating! It only lasted a week for us, but yeah we gave her things that she has never played with before. An old cellphone...etc.
January 16th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jennifer* View Post
I am with Paula on the changing table. Billy rolls around everywhere if I don't use it. Hopefully it's just a phase. Billy went through a kicking as I changed him phase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Paula~ View Post
Use a changing table. It's up higher and narrow, so they realize they can't roll. I have strapped Abby on the table to change her too, so she can't roll or sit up. I give her a baby wipe (because she loves them) and she wipes her face or belly while I change her.
We don't have a changing table so kinda stuck with the couch/floor. Been trying the wipes but she starts sucking on them.... ewww. So will just have to distract with toys.

January 16th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
I have gone through this 3 times now. each time it is more irritating.

Basically I put one leg over Bailey's belly, keeping the weight off her, just enough to pin her down, and then fight with her legs. Definitely not amusing. Just like her brothers, nothing I give her stops her. NOTHING, not even the remote or phones which usually stops her from anything.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 16th, 2011, 03:45 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We use special toys. Toys that aren't really toys at all. Or I get Jassie to sit with me and entertain her. That seems to work.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

January 16th, 2011, 04:05 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We have been doing it for about 5 months...drives me bonkers. I have tried just about everything (we also don't have a changing table). Sometimes things work (cell phone, magnets, the spray bottle for cloth wipes, the scent bug, etc) and sometimes I literally fight him for five minutes to get a diaper on. Just depends on his mood. He is a stubborn little guy and I don't see it getting better. I have noticed that as he becomes more verbal, he has scaled down his assault, so maybe there is hope

Good luck, I hope it is a short phase for you!
January 16th, 2011, 06:12 PM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Paula~ View Post
Use a changing table. It's up higher and narrow, so they realize they can't roll. .
Ha Ha tell this to Catie. We use a changing table and she still rolls, sits up, and stands up during diaper changes. Our table doesn't have a strap, but we've used the straps on the changing tables in public restrooms, and she still manages to roll around with it on.

Like someone else said I give her something to distract her. She likes holding baby wipes (clean ones of course!). Our diaper changes usually do something like this:

Lay Catie down (changing table or floor)
take off dirty diaper, and wipe her.
Catie sits up/or tries to crawl away (yes even on the changing table)
Lay Catie down again
Put on clean diaper while she squirms and tries to get away from me.

I dont' remember my other girls being such wiggle worms, but i'm sure they were. I probably chose to forget this part of parenting LOL!

January 16th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower_142 View Post
Ha Ha tell this to Catie. We use a changing table and she still rolls, sits up, and stands up during diaper changes. Our table doesn't have a strap, but we've used the straps on the changing tables in public restrooms, and she still manages to roll around with it on.
We use a changing table as well but it does not stop A.J from rolling.. He finds a way also.. I'm quick at getting him changed because I would hate to get pee'd on.. lol

January 16th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
We went through this awhile ago and I would try distraction but if that didn't work I would pin her down with my legs and after about a month she gave up and now just lays there

January 17th, 2011, 05:34 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have to use a changing table with Xander or else he is rolling away from me.

It also is a stage

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

January 17th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
^It's a stage that needs to go, definitely not as fun as crawling/walking/talking.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 17th, 2011, 06:34 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We also make changing time fun. I "bite" her feet and blow on her belly at each change. Abby loves it! The second I lay her down, she lifts her foot for me to eat. LOL

January 17th, 2011, 08:13 AM
** Tay **'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ya, we didn't use our changing table for awhile because she would still roll and try to get off.... what nicole and natty said is what I meant... pinning her down with my leg across her belly, lol

January 17th, 2011, 08:37 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
When Echo is completely fighting me I change her while she is standing up.

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search