Jillian's allergies

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2011, 08:21 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Jillian has had what I've suspected were allergy problems for about a year now. She has runny/stuffy noses almost all of the time. It'll clear up for a week or two at the most and then it's back again. Same with eczema except that never seems to go away. She scratches herself until she bleeds.

Shortly before Christmas we let her try some eggs and she threw up and throwing up is really unusual for her. I wondered about the eggs but thought maybe it was because she had just quickly downed a cup of milk. On Christmas day we had a big family breakfast and my mom fed her a few bites of egg not even thinking about it. Within a few minutes she threw up and then she seemed fine.

So I really started to wonder if she had an egg allergy plus I wondered if she had other allergies. We are in the process of having DS tested so we asked the allergist if he could test Jillian as well and he said yes.

She went today for the first round of testing and let me tell you it broke my heart. She cried so much which made me cry too.

I asked them to do the food testing first so they did that and a few others today. The only things she reacted to were EGG and dust mites. The egg was a seriously terrible reaction but the doctor definitely says at this point she's allergic and we need to avoid eggs and anything made with eggs. We're hoping that will clear up her skin and nasal trouble but we'll see. We still have a lot of tests left to go which really sucks but I guess I'd rather know what she's allergic to so we can get her feeling better.

January 17th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Hugs how hard for her and mommy, we are actually going through something similar and go to the allergist on thursday because she had a terrible reaction to peanut butter. Do you mind me asking what they do at the appointments?

I hope she is feeling better soon

January 17th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I'm sorry.. I hope she feels better soon..

A.J popped positive for egg allergies when he was 8 months old.. A.J can eat products made with egg, like french toast, cake, egg noodles.. He even had the flu shot with no problem.. I have yet to give him plain egg..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; January 18th, 2011 at 10:04 PM.
January 17th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by natty View Post
Do you mind me asking what they do at the appointments?
At A.J's allergist appointment, they did skin testing, they'll make tiny pricks in her back with certain common allergies and one spot they put a antihistamine..Makes them itch like crazy and they tell you not to touch it. If my memory is correct, A.J had 14 little pricks in his back and that was not all of it. Then you have to wait for 30-45 minutes.. Seems like forever. Then if they react, they told me to follow up in 3 years to do another round of tests..

Here's a picture from google.. It gives you an idea..

See why I rather do the blood test.. I just need to bring him to the lab and get it drawn.. I just hate the fact I have to do it..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; January 17th, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
January 18th, 2011, 05:13 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am glad you are finding out what she is allergic to. Sorry you both have to go thru this.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

January 18th, 2011, 05:41 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I meant to ask you if it was just actual egg or anything with egg in it. I hope know this, helps her feel better though. Thankfully there are a lot of egg substitutes now, which should make your life easier.
I don't know if egg is one of the allergies they can out grow, but I hope so.

January 18th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
oh man, egg is one of the suckiest things to have an allergy to (think of cakes, cupcakes, every othr desert..) Sorry, I'm being a bit selfish. The testing sounds painful. I hope this is the answer to her happiness though.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 18th, 2011, 06:41 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We have to get Liam done too But I am absolutely going with the blood test. Two seconds and it is done. Plus, he did not do too bad with the lead test. Our doc says we can wait until he is two (to double up with that lead test), as long as we avoid all things with tree nuts/tree nut traces. That is the primary issue, since DH is HIGHLY allergic to them. I would rather do a blood draw than the skin pricks. Liam has reacted to a couple things, including eggs. But I just avoid them for now. He is not highly allergic to eggs, since he can have things with egg baked in them (pancakes, cookies, etc).

Good luck with the rest of the testing. I hope you get it figured out so she can be back up and running!!
January 18th, 2011, 07:21 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
They actually did Jillian's arms (Ben's too) instead of the back. They say with kids they find it's easier and less painful to do it on their arms but I know some doctors do kids' backs like they do with adults.

Since her arms are small they can't do very many at once so we'll have to go back a few times. She goes again on the 31st.

For right now they want us to avoid everything with egg in it (which is a pain because egg is in a lot of stuff). We're going to do this for a while and see if it helps to clear up the stuffy/runny nose and the eczema. If it doesn't seem to help those symptoms then we know it isn't egg that causing them and she can go back to having stuff with egg in it.

They never offered me the option of doing it with a blood test. Maybe it's because nothing showed a very serious reaction so far.

January 18th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Thanks for the info, i am not sure i have much of a choice here as i am on an island the allergist is only in town for about a week every 6 months

I hope she will be able to have stuff with egg in it

January 18th, 2011, 11:00 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
HUgs momma. I hope they figure out what she is allergic to.
January 18th, 2011, 02:43 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The testing looks so painful. You never really notice how many things eggs are in until you have to avoid it. I hope she does ok on the 31st. Taking babies for tests is so heart breaking at times. You know its for their own good but you can't help but feel bad for putting them through it.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search