Potty training question

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2011, 11:09 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know some of you have already started potty training. I decided to buy Billy a potty just so he can get used to it. How does one actually start potty training? He knows what his potty is and he has peed in it, but only when I put him there and he happened to pee. Is doing that okay? Is it okay to put him there when I think he has to pee or poop, but he doesn't?
January 18th, 2011, 11:59 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like you're doing the right things.

At this age it's just to get them familiar with it. I figure if Levi knows he can poop in his diaper, or the potty, that will help. If he doesn't go, I just say "no pee" or "no poop." If he actually tries but nothing comes out, I say something like "good try." When he does pee or poop I show him it and let him watch me dump it into the big potty.

We also taught Levi the sign language for poop. That's really how we started it. He made the connection right away (to my surprise). Within 3 days he was doing the sign before he pooped. He loves it, since he absolutely hates laying on his back for diaper changes.

I'm not expecting any real success until the summer when we will try to PT him.

January 18th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
some people put their kid on every 15, 30, 60 min whatever.

I've yet to actually potty train.
I start by introducing it, and explaining what I am doing when I go, since all three of my kids have liked to follow me in. Once they start appearing to understand I started asking them how to go, "Mommy had to go pee/poo. Can you show me how?" And within a few months both boys got it. Both were pee trained first during the day, the night, then poop trained, all on their own, on their own terms. with both I had told them they needed to poo on it (not until they were 100% pee trained though...) And Thomas told us he would when he was three, and sure enough the day of his 3rd bday party he started pooping on the potty, and stopped in his underwear. Collin the same thing pretty much, just one day stopped doing it in his pants.

I'm hoping for the same success w Bailey.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 18th, 2011, 12:17 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the advice ladies.

I have been taking Billy into the potty with me for a while. He usually pulls his bath toys out of the cabinet

Oh and it was hilarious when I put him on yesterday morning. Pee went up n over the toilet edge....lol!
January 18th, 2011, 01:37 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a putting him on every15 to 30 min kindof person. He seriously has to pee that much. He doesn't keep a fresh diaper for long. This is just ME, but the thought of buying diapers when he's 3 bugs me. They're expensive and I just won't do it.

One tip I do have Jennifer is cotton training pants. Do u have to wash them, yes, but they're cheaper and it let's them feel being wet. I found with my oldest and now Ben theydont like feeling wet. The pull ups are basically just diapers for bigger kids. I only used them when I would go out, but in thehouse it's cotton training pants. I even ordered 18 mo pants off amazon because thestores don't sell anything under 2t.
January 18th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
^totally agree with the pull ups. We tried them with Thomas after his 2nd bday and he treated them like diapers, when he asked for underwear we got the extra thick gerber toddler undewear and he was pee trained in days, poop another story, but he was completely out of diapers by 2.5, and Collin this past September, so 32 mos.. Yea cleaning poop out of underwear sucks, but eventually they both got it.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, the gerber pants! They are so cute on too!

Nicole our kids were opposite. Once my oldest realized he didn't have to poop in his pants he trained on that immediately. Peeing took a bit longer.
January 18th, 2011, 04:53 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherineclare View Post
The pull ups are basically just diapers for bigger kids.
That's what you get when diaper companies teach how to potty train. Why would they want you to have success?

ETA: Catherine, how is PTing going with Ben? Is he starting to get the hang of it?

January 18th, 2011, 05:54 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Pull Ups worked for me with Breana. Since she is potty trained and it took one weekend.

Sit him on the potty about 10 minutes after he has a bottle or anything to drink. If you know his poop schedule then sit him on.

Sounds like you are doing everything OK

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

January 19th, 2011, 12:17 AM
** Tay **'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I take Ty potty with me and tell her im going potty and then tell her that when she sits on there too...

I know her poop schedule, so at first I would set her up there when I KNEW she was gonna need to go, or once she got red in the face, haha. Once she goes we make a big deal and clap and laugh and wave Bye Bye to it. Now, she tells me when she needs to poop, but not when she needs to pee yet ( she tells me after shes gone usually) ... she does pee almost every time I set her up there - but still goes in her diaper a lot... But I take her telling me even after she has gone as a good sign

WE nearly have poop down I think. She tells me near every single time... and actually held it today ( we were in the car when she started pointing to her bottom and got really upset till we got home... (10min or so) we got home and I set her up there and she went right away.

when first starting, I would sit her up there after meals and drinking anything ( like 20 min later) ... Teaching her to push helped...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search