Technology?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Tom and I were talking last night and he thinks technology has consumed us all. He thinks it's ridiculous that just 20 years ago, we didn't need most of the stuff we do now.

I argued that yes it may have consumed us but a lot of it has been for the better, do I think many people are addicted to the web, especially FB? Yes.

Do I think Cell phones are not needed? No.

I do feel as a parent, a cell phone is a necessity, yes people were fine w/o one just 10-20 years ago, but I do feel they are needed. I also feel the internet is needed. Not as much as a cell phone, but needed. I remember having a lot of trouble getting homework done and papers in all because I didn't have a computer. His argument is that I could have just gone to the library.

Then he went on saying all these apps, games, the internet are all NOT needed on cell phones, he thinks the only "good" that came out of smrt phones is the GPS.

So cell phones? internet? dvr's and digital cable? GPS? Tracking devices? Video games w/ internet connection and motion sensors? E-readers? Etc, Etc?

Is everything needed? What is needed? Are we all technologically addicted as my husband claims?

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 20th, 2011, 07:38 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First I'm going to have to agree with Tom for the most part. Yes, we are all technologically addicted. When adults and children can't go 5 ft without having their cell phone, yes, there is a problem.

Do I love technology? Absolutely! I love the fact I can jump online and actually be talking and looking at my family back east or clear over in Australia! That's amazing! Definitely a perk to technology. I love my iPhone. The fact I have Internet in my hand at all times is pretty cool. I also LOVE my Kindle! Being able to download books in a matter of seconds is sheer genius. Now, is any of this needed? Nope. I survived many years without any of this and did just fine.

I really worry tho about our future generations. They have never known life without this stuff. It's pretty bad when a child thinks an iPhone is a right, not a privilege. If there truly was ever a depression again the youth of America would freak out and that's scary. You know we act like all of this technology has made our youth more intelligent and I don't buy that for one second. I personally know college grads that can't spell or do math to save their life, but hey who needs to know how to spell when there's spell check? I really think as a people we have been dumbed down. Sure technology can truly help someone learn, but it can also be a very lazy way out of doing schoolwork etc. Our founding fathers who were highly intelligent and did groundbreaking things didn't have Internet, email or smartphones to carry around and neither did the people of the time and for many years to come and they were smart! Smarter than I personally think we are today. If interested go online (haha) and look up curriculum for a typical 3rd grader of say the 1940's. They were learning way harder things than our children of today. It's just sad. Oh and the 'computers needed for school' comment made me laugh. I'm with Tom. I used to have to trek my butt down to the library and crack open big heavy books called encyclopedias. I did research thru books, never once used a computer for any of my schooling and honestly I think I'm better off for it. I have memories of researching certain things and sitting in the library really feeling like I was learning! It was great.

So I'll quit rambling for now, but mostly yes, I agree with your husband. Technology is wonderful, but it's also been a curse in my view. We've become a slave to our phones and laptops. If it all went away tomorrow many of us could deal because we've grown up not having this stuff, but it would send an entire generation into a major freakout.

Last edited by catherineclare; January 20th, 2011 at 07:43 AM.
January 20th, 2011, 07:46 AM
ETA- I wasn't being snarky with my computers needed for school comment. It really did make me chuckle because we didn't have Internet at school when I was going! I think maybe senior year it was put in but not for student use lol!
January 20th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids

January 20th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherineclare View Post
ETA- I wasn't being snarky with my computers needed for school comment. It really did make me chuckle because we didn't have Internet at school when I was going! I think maybe senior year it was put in but not for student use lol!
I didn't think you were being snarky, and I agree, but I did fail many assignments in high school because I didn't have a printer at home or a way to the local library to use theirs. And most of them were supposed to be typed, double spaced, etc. I was the only one in history class and my government class that used books for research, but found myself in the disciplinary office many times for arguing with the teach about it being ridiculous that a computer was a necessity of the class.

It is absolutely disgusting that so many people my age can't spell such basic words, or never learned how to write cursive. And that many of my teachers were against hand written papers, as the students never worked on having legible handwriting.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 20th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Well I don't have a land line so yes i need my cell phone do I need the Internet yes it was the only way i could take college classes as i live in a very rual community and no i can't drive to a city i live on a island and i had Internet in school scince elementary school. It was very helpful with school as i could look up things my more quickly than if i had to go to the library
I do however think that video games and things are a big factor in obesity in America to be honest i find it a bit discusting we have 400 or 500lb people when so many around the world are starving

Last edited by natty; January 20th, 2011 at 11:05 AM.
January 20th, 2011, 10:58 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it has consumed us to a point. you don't NEED the TV, I need the internet that is how I pay the bills and do my banking

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

January 20th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2Breana+Brandon View Post
I think it has consumed us to a point. you don't NEED the TV, I need the internet that is how I pay the bills and do my banking

((Playing Devil's advocate here....)) BUT you don't NEED to. You can mail in your bills or go to a bill pay location. And banking can *gasp* be done at the bank.

I used to say the same thing, now that we *only* deal with cash, I don't *need* the internet at all, except for my sanity.

Nat, you really had internet in elementary school? I had internet in MIDDLE school but student's weren't allowed access to it, and had VERY LIMITED access in high school.

January 20th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaDucks View Post
(

Nat, you really had internet in elementary school? I had internet in MIDDLE school but student's weren't allowed access to it, and had VERY LIMITED access in high school.

Yup i did go to a big school but i remember being able to get on line at the computer lab in 3rd grade ( there was filters so we could only go to a few sights ). By the time i was in middle school we had a computer with Internet in every classroom and i am older than you Nicole

January 20th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I was thinking the same thing Nicole lol! We used to just use a stamp and mail those bills back and yeah banking was always done, well, at the bank! I actually don't like bill paying or banking online. It makes me nervous and we've had some issues with their computers screwing up and them claiming we didn't pay.

Nicole I think it's awesome you only deal in cash! We've been doing it more and more and really helps us watch our spending.
January 20th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherineclare View Post
I was thinking the same thing Nicole lol! We used to just use a stamp and mail those bills back and yeah banking was always done, well, at the bank! I actually don't like bill paying or banking online. It makes me nervous and we've had some issues with their computers screwing up and them claiming we didn't pay.

Nicole I think it's awesome you only deal in cash! We've been doing it more and more and really helps us watch our spending.
I hate it. I'm too cheap to deal with the fee's of prepaid debit/credit cards, and I hate and miss making online purchases..

January 20th, 2011, 02:58 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think its a very fine line. Some people do cross it. I think it does help our kids to learn better. They have access to more resources and those resources are more up to date than what we had in school.

We didn't have net at home till I was 17 and it was dial up.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

January 20th, 2011, 05:56 PM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
I love technology just as much as I hate it; I think it does just as much good as harm.

Tags
technology

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search