Allergist appointment

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
We went today and it went well Elise was a trooper, she tested positive for a peanut allergy but not any of the other tree nuts but she can't eat any food with peanuts or processed in the same place as peanuts so i have to be very aware of any packaged food luckily we don't give her much of that.
The really sucky thing though is a peanut allergy only about 20% will grow out of where as things like eggs and wheat about 95% grow out of. They will test her yearly for the peanut allergy to see if she outgrows it so that is the news.

January 20th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I'm glad to hear it's just a peanut allergy..

I do hope she grows out of it.. I'm kinda bummed about A.J's allergies because I can't get him ice cream at Baskin Robins or Dairy Queen during the summer.. Due to his peanut and soy allergy.. I can't just bring my daughter and not him.. So that will be out of the question now..

January 21st, 2011, 04:58 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am glad you find out at an early age. That stinks though but I hope she grows out of it.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

January 21st, 2011, 07:17 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How bad was the reaction? Sometimes it's not bad at all. I know someone who had their 3yo tested and it was positive for peanut allergy but they've been eating PB for 2 years! They were told to continue since it obviously wasn't hurting him.

January 21st, 2011, 07:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 21st, 2011, 10:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
She had a Reallly bad reaction it was only a minute before her lips doubled in size and less that5 before she was covered in hives and they did not go away until 5pm and i gave it to her at breakfast and some are more positive than others and she had a large hive for the test poke the other tree nuts had a small hive but was not big enough to be considered positve for allergies

January 21st, 2011, 10:38 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow! Poor baby! That's such a tough allergy too, because SO MUCH is made in the same factories, etc..

January 21st, 2011, 01:13 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
That definitely is a tough allergy. I hope she'll end up outgrowing but at least now you'll be prepared. Did they give you an EPI pen?

January 21st, 2011, 02:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes we got an epi pen fromm her regular doc the day she reacted just in case and the allergist told us to keep it with us all the time just in case you never know one time they could have a very mild reaction and the next time they could stop breathing which scares me a lot

January 21st, 2011, 10:38 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh no! I hope she's lucky and grows out of it.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

January 22nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

I can totally understand where you are because we deal with the same issues with Hugo. He had a horrible anaphylactic reaction to only a taste of PB at 13 mos. and also had a biphasic reaction overnight at the hospital. We can't leave the house without the Epi-Pens and he knows to ask if food has nuts in it before he tries it. If you need anything, please just ask or PM me. There are a lot of things we have to give up (like ice cream shops AJ's mom mentioned, many restaurants, baseball games, bakeries, a LOT of things) but we make his life as great as possible while working around all of that.

What (if anything) did they say about bee stings?

January 22nd, 2011, 08:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo&Sergiosmom View Post

I can totally understand where you are because we deal with the same issues with Hugo. He had a horrible anaphylactic reaction to only a taste of PB at 13 mos. and also had a biphasic reaction overnight at the hospital. We can't leave the house without the Epi-Pens and he knows to ask if food has nuts in it before he tries it. If you need anything, please just ask or PM me. There are a lot of things we have to give up (like ice cream shops AJ's mom mentioned, many restaurants, baseball games, bakeries, a LOT of things) but we make his life as great as possible while working around all of that.

What (if anything) did they say about bee stings?
Wow how scary luckily Elise kept breathing and did not require a trip to the hospital just the regular doc ( of course they fit us in pretty quickly that day). They did not say anything out bee stings, should I worry about that?
Do you keep an epi pen and benadryl with you i have been doing both just in case we are out and she gets it on accident and does not require the epi pen.

They also said to be careful with chocolate do just never give it to him or read the label really closely?
Also they are going to test her yearly do they do that with hugo, do they stop testing after a certain age?

That you so much

January 23rd, 2011, 07:05 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Wow. Poor little kids. It sucks to have a peanut allergy That sounds really scary, to have those reactions.
January 23rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Yes, we do keep Benadryl with us all the time. I made a little kit out of a fabric pencil pouch with a clear window. I wrote Hugo's name and allergies on the fabric part in permanent marker. In the kit is his anaphylaxis care plan with emergency numbers, 2 Epi-Pens and the Benadryl to go that comes in individual doses in disposable spoons. We just grab the kit to go anywhere. It fits in my purse.

I do not give him ANY chocolate unless it is explicitly nut-free and that is VERY hard to come by. Most chocolate and candy as a matter of fact is produced on shared equipment or in a common facility. So he cannot have that. Halloween and holidays have been a challenge, but I have requested NO CANDY from our families and he has a stash of safe treats at school for parties (which are Dum Dums lollipops and Smarties candy made in a dedicated allergy friendly facility, Nutri Grain bars and prepackaged Oreos). We also have to bring a separate cupcake to every party we go to that serves cake because most cakes either contain hidden nuts or are made in the same facility. I just bake a lot at a time, freeze them and bring them in my purse in a little cupcake carrier.

I don't know when/if they will test Hugo again- to be honest I don't love our allergist even though he's supposed to be "the best" and may be looking for one closer to home. He goes once a year to update his Epi prescription.

Eating out is another issue too... you may find yourself giving up a lot of past favorites so that she can safely eat with you. There are very few places we can safely eat. Dealing with the allergy cut probably more than half of the restaurants off our list. We can safely do McDonalds, Red Robin (there is an allergen menu), some local Italian places including Domino's delivery, Taco Bell, Steak and Shake, and local places on a call-before you go basis... and... that's almost it... and we NEVER get dessert b/c it can be cross-contaminated or have nuts in it. Cannot eat in any place where they have peanuts open, obviously (Five Guys, Logan's, etc) or use peanut oil (Chick Fil A).

Whew... hope that helps for starters. There are also good websites.
Kids With Food Allergies: Food Allergy Support | Allergy Free Recipes
Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network

January 25th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Wow Amanda! That is a lot of information! I knew peanut allergies were tough and all, but I couldn;t imagine just how tough it could be, Thank you for sharing everything you have with Nat and the rest of us!

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 25th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaDucks View Post
Wow Amanda! That is a lot of information! !
Yes! Thanks for the info.. We rarely eat out so it's good to know to ask for the menu for people with Allergies and our main restaurant is Red Robin..

January 25th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes i should have said it before thank you very much

January 25th, 2011, 10:38 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad you found out exactly what's going on. The peanut allergy is a rough one. It's crazy how many things have been processed in a plant that does peanuts, too.

January 25th, 2011, 03:13 PM
You're welcome!! Ask anything anytime. I don't claim to know all the answers but we got acquainted with being nut-free VERY quickly out of necessity.

I forgot to say NO Asian food. There are nuts used in a lot of the dishes. So as a rule we can't do Asian, bakeries, ice cream parlors and candy shops. It is hard, like this year he had a field trip to a bakery and we had to keep him home.

If I can think of anything else I will share it.

I asked about bee stings b/c they can't test for that but it's likely that kids with anaphylaxis will have that allergy too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search