Very Scary Moment today

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2011, 10:50 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a very scary moment with Billy tonight. I gave him pizza and he must have been taking bites that were too big. He suddenly started coughing and got all red. So I stick my finger in his mouth which causes a piece of crust to go down futher into his throat. I start freaking out of course. Thankfully my little guy stuck his own finger down his throat, causing himself to vomit up the piece and every other thing in his tummy. It didn't phase him in the least. In fact, as soon as the piece of crust was up, he tried to start eating again. I mean there was still vomit in his hand and he was trying to eat more food. Oye! I did clean him up before allowing him to continue to eat.
January 21st, 2011, 10:54 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How scary for you! I'm glad he's ok.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

January 21st, 2011, 11:56 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is scary! Whenever Ben starts choking from taking too big of a bite I immediately flip him over so he's kind head down at an angle. So not completely upside down but at an angle and I gently kinda hit his back. The food will fly out!

I'm glad Billy is ok... Choking is very scary!!
January 22nd, 2011, 04:27 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad he's alright. Choking is so scary!

January 22nd, 2011, 05:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Everything in "the books" and nursing school will tell ya to do what Catherine said, but the insinct is usually to just get it out.

It is so scary. Thankfully of my three kids only once had I dealt with this: Last week, banana was the culprit w/ Bailey. You can't scoop that out with a finger.

I remember when I was nannying, the youngest was about 16-18 mos at the time and snagged an apple out of her sisters bookbag while she and I were going over her homework. She was under the table (I had no idea there was an apple in the bag) and started gagging on the skin, then the coughing stopped and her faced just got redder, I reached in there, holding her on that same angle and got it out. I don't think I had ever been more afraid to tell a mom something.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 22nd, 2011, 06:55 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's weird my hubby's first instinct is to reach in with his finger and mine is always to flip him and hit his back. When I had my first my mom told me to flip him so now it's my instant reaction. There have been a couple if times I saw my hubby reaching for something and had to grab Ben away and flip. 2 seconds later he was fine and eating again. Gotta get my hubby in flipping mode somehow.
January 22nd, 2011, 07:13 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Infant CPR USE to train to do a sweep check of the mouth, it no longer does because it causes the food to get shoved further down, blocking the airway more.
Flip him, head down on your forearm and tap between his shoulder blades.

This is the exact reason I cut everything small, from fruit to pizza, etc... You just never know when they will choke. Their airways are small and though I know infant CPR, I'd rather not have to use it.

January 22nd, 2011, 08:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Paula~ View Post
Infant CPR USE to train to do a sweep check of the mouth, it no longer does because it causes the food to get shoved further down, blocking the airway more.
Flip him, head down on your forearm and tap between his shoulder blades.

This is the exact reason I cut everything small, from fruit to pizza, etc... You just never know when they will choke. Their airways are small and though I know infant CPR, I'd rather not have to use it.
Exactly, when I did my CPR training, we were specifically told to *only* do a finger sweep if we could see the food, and there was a big enough piece to "hook and pull" And to *only* do it if the 1st couple of taps/hits don't dislodge it.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 22nd, 2011, 09:00 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies. I usually do the finger sweep to see if Billy has too much food in his mouth. He used to store it like a chipmunk before. I now know to angle him and tap his back.
January 22nd, 2011, 11:19 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As long as Levi is coughing, I figure it's working it's way out and let him keep coughing... it is so scary to sit back and watch that, though. I think I'm going to start the flip over method. Gosh, I need to take a CPR/ first aid refresher course.

January 22nd, 2011, 01:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
How scary makes me happy i have not had to go through that
Hugs

January 22nd, 2011, 09:05 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
How scary.. I'm glad to hear he is alright..

January 25th, 2011, 12:37 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
how scary glad he is Ok though

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search