Relationships

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2011, 07:23 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What kind of relationship does everyone have with their family?
What about your Mom?
Your Dad?
Step Parents?
Brothers/sisters?
Cousins?
In-laws?
Grandparents?
etc, etc...

January 26th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Paula~ View Post
What about your Mom?
Your Dad?
Step Parents?
Brothers/sisters?
Cousins?
In-laws?
Grandparents?
etc, etc...
WARNING: LONG!

My mom and I have a weird relationship. Many times I feel like the mom when it comes to her MS and how she treats it. She acts like she can still do everything she used to before it started taking it's toll. Then other times when she calls me 5 times in an hr, or tells me how to do something with the kids, I snap into bratty teen daughter mode and talk to her like I'm 14 again. I was a total brat and still can be. Which then ends up with me being super guilty. Then other times she's like my best friend. Then I have to remember she loves to gossip and anything I tell her the whole family will know..

My dad....He treats me like I'm the adult when it comes to my siblings and I. Like, I'm the one on all the papers that will have to do everything when he or/and my mom pass away, he comes to me when it comes to needing help with his bills and what not. He talks to me like and adult, and only sees me when it's regarding my kids or a family function or I'm at his house. Yet, my brother and (OLDER) sister, get treated like there still kids, like they still get whatever they ask for or could possibly want. His reasoning is that I'm a wife, and it's Tom's job, and that my sister while older, can't afford the things I can (um hello she has a mother who spoils her rotton and pays her every bill and buys her groceries, and takes her clothes shopping every month, and supports her son...) I have a bit of resentment towards my father for always showing favoritism to his 1st born (and daughter who he only had visitation to..) and to his only son... Call me selfish but I still am waiting for my turn to be Daddy's little girl.

My brother and I barely talk, unless one of us needs something from the other, he could care less about his niece and nephews.. We still joke around and talk like we're kids....... :/

My sister... ugh, lets see... she's selfish, spoiled, greedy, etc etc etc. She thinks bc she has a kid she is ENTITLED to 1 night out a week, and her mom is always available to babysit-OVER NIGHT. She complains about being broke and having to rely on everyone to support her and her son, but then jumped from guy to guy so they can come live in her home with her son and shower her with nights out, gifts, and attention. She gets everything handed to her on a silver platter which makes no sense since she is a complete airhead. BUT she is my sister, and before I had kids of my own, she was one of my closest friends. Then I grew up before her... Now, I keep close to keep tabs on my nephew and to try and teach her to be a better mother, and that being a mother means more than just being with your child, feeding, bathing, and cleaning house. That it actually means INTERACTING with your child...

Not really close with any cousins, get together with play dates with two of them-both with kids around the same ages as mine.. But I have WAY too many cousins......

Aunt/Uncles--same thing, only seeing them at family functions. Starting to get closer to one Aunt though and Love it!

My grandparents have all passed away, but anyone here will tell you my Nana was the closest and dearest person in my life. She meant as much to me as my children do. I miss her terribly. Especially at this time of the year, as the last time she spoke to me was Jan 18th, 2008 and she passed away 2 days after her birthday on Feb. 11th. I HATE this time of the year. I still feel anger towards her for passing away 2 weeks after Collins birth and never meeting him. And even more so now as I had her first great granddaughter.

Oh the IL's.............
My FIL and I get along great he is super quiet, and loves and will do anything for his grandchildren. But he is nearing 80 and getting pretty senile...
MIL: We get along, but I can't stand her. She is the ONLY person I have to babysit when Tom and I both need to go out w.o the kids, and every time she just sits on the couch with her crocheting and the kids roam free. I warn her each time Bailey cannot be out of the room for more than 2.5 seconds without checking on her, as she LOVES the toilet and litter box, climbing onto the table, and throwing EVERYTHING into the garbage... And it's like she NEVER changes the kid's diaper either, everytime she watches my kids, even with the boys when they were in diapers, they'd get a rash. EVERY SINGLE TIME!

And then there is my SIL..... What a waste of ******* life. She mooches off her parents, babies daddy and the state, while she sleeps all day and drinks all night. She does NOTHING for her children at all and complains if they need anything, then complains and *****es and moans if her parents ask her for some of her cash assistance or foodstamps. Um, it's for the kids! Not for your nightly binge drinking! You ******* worthless *****. The skank doesn't shower but once a month, when people complain, her hair is a constant rats nest, she is 5'8" and 80 lbs soaking wet. She has a holier than thou attitude that needs to be slapped off of her. She needs her **** parents to stop babying her and kick her *** out. I mean she's 35 years old and has only had one job, Burger King, for two weeks, when she was 18. And the worst part of all is those two gorgeous, amazing kids are being ruined by being raised in that house. And they love their mom so, so much. She should cherish it and do everything she can to better herself for them, and instead she's digging herself an early grave. I can tell ya the girl will die before her almost 80 year old father. Ugh, and the **** thinks she can criticize MY parenting??!?! And gets mad when I parent HER children?! Well sorry, I'm not going to give into every whim of a 3 and 8 year old to get them to shut up and leave me alone like her. So yea I will raise my voice and make them clean up what they TRASH in my home, hell yea I'll put them in time out if they purposely HIT or THROW something at my children, or each other. And then after telling me NOT to parent her kids, she'll ask Tom and I to feed them, clothe them, and support them.... sorry. I could go on and on how much I truly hate this POS. I mean come on, there are so many women who'd KILL to have two children, and she has them and can care less about them......

Yea, let me end this book, I just put myself in a nasty mood......

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 27th, 2011, 06:21 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I get along with my mom better now that I moved out.

I always got along with my dad.

My older sister we are best friends. my younger sister we fight a lot. but I am hoping to fix that.

My in laws I get along well with

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

January 27th, 2011, 06:40 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What about your Mom? My Mom and I are very close!
Your Dad? I wouldn't shed a single tear if someone told me he was dead. I honestly hate the man.
Step Parents? My step Dad is like my father. He married my Mom when I was 13 and I love him!
Brothers/sisters? I don't have any sisters. My brothers, it's been a battle. I grew up with one brother because the other lived with my Dad. We were very close, then he upped and moved to my Dads too and broke my heart. He left me and a part of me will always resent that. Which only makes me hate my father more.
We just recently started talking again (TY facebook) and I love having him in my life again. His wife is pregnant with the 1st grandson and I'm so excited for him!!
My other brother and I got close when he was living in Ohio. After my Grandma died, he moved back to my Dads and we talk on FB.
Cousins? I have one close cousin. I was 10 when he was born and he was more like my little brother. I love him and am so proud of him! My other cousins I barely talk to, we just all grew apart and little different lives.
In-laws? I tolerate them. My fil and smil always put Jay's sister and brother first and I get so pissed off. I don't think they even realize that it bothers Jay. To them, he's the oldest and strongest, married, happy and has a good job so needing their attention isn't their concern.
My MIL and SFIL... *shutters* I see them only when I have to.
Grandparents? My Grandma and Grandpa (Nana and Poppy) we like my 2nd parents. I literally had my own room at their house and spent MANY MANY nights there. My Mom was a single mom, working and going to school. My Grandparents were ALWAYS there for us, ALWAYS and it was NEVER a chore to them. They loved us to pieces!! I'd go to WV with my Grandparents for the summer, I was with them ALL THE TIME. I was there more than I was home. I was at their house, literally, EVERYDAY!!
I miss them so much it hurts, still, after 10 years.
My Dads parents, my Grandpa died when I was 12. My Grandma is still alive, she's going on 93! I love her but don't have that relationship with her. I was never her favorite (probably because she knows I hate her son). But whatever, I don't feel sad about it because in my mind, I had the BEST grandparents ever!
etc, etc...

January 27th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Grandparents? My Grandma and Grandpa (Nana and Poppy) we like my 2nd parents. I literally had my own room at their house and spent MANY MANY nights there. My Mom was a single mom, working and going to school. My Grandparents were ALWAYS there for us, ALWAYS and it was NEVER a chore to them. They loved us to pieces!! I'd go to WV with my Grandparents for the summer, I was with them ALL THE TIME. I was there more than I was home. I was at their house, literally, EVERYDAY!!
I miss them so much it hurts, still, after 10 years.
The 11th will be 3 years since Nana cried, and I just know it will still hurt as much when it's 10.. My Nana was like yours. I spent EVERY weekend with her, and since my Aunt still had a room there though had moved out, it was pretty much mine. And if I didn't come over Friday after school Nana would call asking why I wasn't there. When I moved out at 16, I had been living upstairs from her. She was more upset than my parents that I left. After school, before Tom would get out of work, I'd go downstairs and watch soaps wth her playing skipbo. She was the ONLY person I could be 100% honest with about my relationship with Tom. He grew up with my cousins and Nana was like a grandmother to him. Of everyone in the family who got married, he was the only spouse she actually liked. I miss her so **** much right now it's killing me inside. I just want her here, I want her to see how much Thomas has grown up. I want her to know Collin and Bailey. I want her to be here for me!

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 27th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Blondn6ft's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think better than most
What about your Mom? BFF ... hahaha, now that I am older
Your Dad? my confidant ... I am still Daddy's little girl
Step Parents? none
Brothers/sisters? no separating us / he is 3 years younger (but looks older) we go to concerts together, motorcycle rides together, dinner/drinks together ... all without spouses and other family ... just us to catch up and have fun like old times ... we have always done everything together since I turned 16
Cousins? LOVE Facebook ... we are all connected again. We span an age group of 42yrs to 6 yrs ... as first cousins !
In-laws? Love my Father in Law. He is deaf but he and I have our own communication ... he is HYSTERICALLY FUNNY !
Grandparents? Wished my Dad's parents weren't in CT ... but I call and send letters and photos all the time. Mom's Mom is here near me and I talk to her daily and see her once a week. My Grandpa passed away 3 years ago, and I have NEVER been the same without him. I miss him desperately ...
etc, etc...

January 27th, 2011, 08:22 AM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
I like Robin's response, better than most probably
What about your Mom?
We get along great
Your Dad?
Now we get along very well, as a child/teenager not so much
Step Parents?
n/a
Brothers/sisters?
My sister and I fought every waking minute of every day growing up, and we still argue occasionally, but for the most part we get along well now
Cousins?
I'm very close with my one cousin, and I get along well with the rest but we don't see one another very often because we live all across the country
In-laws?
I like to pretend they don't exist, especially DH's mother. She has been making more of an effort to call and talk with the boys though so I'm glad to see her improve in that way
Grandparents?
I only have one grandparent left and we see her 1-2 times a week. We are very close.

January 27th, 2011, 09:01 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Your Mom? I am very close to my mom. We understand each other and she never makes me feel I have to explain things or defend something I do. She always supports me 100% and I know that we are very lucky to have one another. We went through YEARS of therapy though, so our communication is almost "too good."
Your Dad? I adore my dad and am always trying not to disappoint him. He is quiet and doesn't quite "get" me, but he loves me very much and has no problem telling me so. I say we are pretty good for me not being a "daddys girl."
Step Parents? N/A
Brothers/sisters? Me and the middle one have a tense relationship. He blames me for ruining his teen years and has a lot of anger issues surrounding my illness. But, he has a lot of anger at himself too...so I imagine in time it will get better. I adore my youngest brother and we are pretty close. He is the funniest person I have ever met and is very, very intelligent.
Cousins? I have awesome relationships with my cousins. They are almost as close as siblings. We see each other quite often and really get involved in each other's lives. At the moment, my 22-year-old cousin is living with us.
In-laws? I like my FIL. He is very dry, sarcastic, and blunt. I can do that! I understand that personality. He is not "warm and squishy," but neither am I. I really, really dislike my MIL. She is needy, controlling, and whiny. I prefer to talk to her as little as possible.
Grandparents? I am very, very close to my paternal grandmother. She is my favorite person in the world. She has to be one of the nicest, most loving, people ever. Both my grandfathers are sorta "hands off," but we get along fine and can have some good conversations. I enjoy their company. My maternal grandmother died long before I was born.
BIL and SIL: I really love my BIL. But he picked a psycho for a wife. So we avoid them a lot. Which is a shame, since DH was really close to his brother until this chick came into the picture. She is terrified I am trying to seduce her husband (my BIL), which would never happen, but she won't let him come here and hang out with DH or do anything without her. Grrr.
Aunts and Uncles: I am actually amazingly close to several of my aunts. They are fun, two even came to my bachlorette party! The rest are fine too. I have a couple as$holes for uncles...but most of them are pretty great.

Super big thanks to Jaidynsmum for my cool siggy!
January 27th, 2011, 09:19 AM
GinaS.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy

What about your Mom? My mom was everything to all of us in my family. She was a devoted caring loving mother, who always listened and was super supportive. My kids will be lucky if I turn out to be HALF of the mother that my mom was. My mom unfortunately has Alzheimer's and does not know anyone anymore. She does not speak, is basically bedridden, and is in a nursing home. She has been sick for about 15 years now. I miss her everyday and am super sad that my kids (as well as my nieces and nephews) will never know her - she was a fantastic grandmother to my oldest nephew who is lucky enough to remember her. Her kids were everything to her. Sometimes the guilt of her having to live in a nursing home is too much to bear. Needless to say, we always had a fabulous loving relationship.

Your Dad? Is a complete A-hole. He never really had a close relationship with any of us kids, even though we all lived together...always. He was a complete terror to live with, was an alcoholic, abusive to my mom and some of us kids, and just a waste of skin and organs. Besides running into him at my brothers house in November, I haven't seen him in over 10 years. He was not invited to my wedding, never met my husband or daughter (until my brothers house), and I feel good about that decision. Most of us feel the same...he should not be able to enjoy us as adults and our children after the horrible childhoods he made us endure. He is not worth the time.

Brothers/sisters? Extremely close to my sisters. When my mom got sick my oldest sis took on the responsibility of dealing with our craziness LOL. I am also close with my brothers, although my oldest bro is 13 years older then me- sometimes it's hard to find common ground to have conversations about. But we are all close and there for each other.

Cousins? We NEVER see our cousins and/or aunts and uncles. My father separated us from most of them when we were little, so we never were close to his side of the family and he tried to keep us away from my moms family too. Once my mom got sick, the little extended family dynamic that we did have fell apart.

In-laws? UUGH! They are very nice...if you like the pompous stick up the butt kind. LOL They mean well - they are very old and very politically correct, though I'm pretty sure it's all a facade with my MIL. She preaches one thing and then stands for another. My FIL is an episcopal priest, though he is WAY more laid back then my MIL. He can actually kick back with a beer and laugh. HOWEVER, if my MIL tells my husband one more time that she is afraid our dogs are going to attack and eat the kids, I am going to turn them on her! LOL Thank God she lives a plane ride away...although that means visits last DAYS!

Grandparents? They have all passed, although we were very close to my moms parents...again, only when my father allowed it. As we got older, we would go see them on our own. They were fantastic.
January 27th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
9]What kind of relationship does everyone have with their family? Not great
What about your Mom?bwe don't talk I sent Christmas cards, she left when I was very young
Your Dad? Talk about once a month but he is hard to get along with, he also used to beat up onme and my sisters
Step Parents? Several but once the divorce happened they were gone
Brothers/sisters? Yup pretty good better now that we are adults, i get along really well with my twin sister
Cousins? I have to many to keep track of them all
In-laws? I love MIL we talk often
Grandparents? On my moms side yes they had a huge part in raising me we talk often
etc, etc..

Last edited by natty; January 27th, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
January 27th, 2011, 12:08 PM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We all get along pretty great. I can talk to my parents about anything and they are my best friends. When I'm home visiting we enjoy evenings having a glass of wine and just talking about everything going on.
What about your Mom?
I'm very close to my Mom and we talk every day even though we live far away (we are military). We skype at least once a week.
Your Dad?
I've always been close to my Dad and I'm a Daddy's girl.
Step Parents?
n/a
Brothers/sisters?
My brother aren't super close but we love each other. He always looks out for me. I am very close with his daughter (my niece) who is 25. I have a nephew but he's on his own right now and doesn't come around the family often but when he does we always enjoy talking and hanging out together. I'm still good friends with his first wife who was like a sister to me growing up. His current wife (#3) is really nice. I am adopted and found out I have 3 half brothers, one which I am really good friends with and always see when i come home. His wife and daughter are just the sweetest.
Cousins?
My Mom has a good relationship with both of her brothers who both have 2 kids each all grown (these cousins we stay in touch with) & her sister has a daughter and 2 sons (which we don't have much to do with but get along with). My Dad was an only child. I was close to one my cousin Todd growing up and now the cousins (my Uncle's kids) are all married and have kids we all try to get together when we are all around home at the same time. Some of us cousins are a little spread out across country. I get along great with my Aunts and Uncles and they all came to my parent's suprise 50th wedding anniversary party (they were highschool sweethearts) that my brother and I threw for them in Dec 09. They see each other pretty regularly. My Mom wasn't close to her sister growing up but they were close when they got older but her sister passed away (never took care of herself) and those cousins we never really see or talk to much. I do talk with the Aunt's daughter on FB on occasion but just not alot in common.
In-laws?
I love my in-laws and they are very sweet. My MIL gets on my nerves sometimes but she means well. She can be emotional and gets very possessive of her status as a grandparent. I also get along great with my husband's grandmother who he is close to and she and I get along wonderfully. She was there when our daughter was born and would visit me in the hospital while I was on bedrest.
Grandparents?
All grandparents are passed away except my Dad's mom who is 92. I love her and was pretty close to her growing up. Not lovey dovey but she was sweet to me although she can be quite a spitfire and is getting senile and mean these days. She gets really paranoid. But she loves me and our daughter, my husband and our new baby that is due in May. i make sure to call her every couple of weeks to catch up as I know she gets lonely and has lost her vision.[/quote]

Family Pic from 50th

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

Last edited by FyreMommy2B; January 27th, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
January 28th, 2011, 06:11 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
What about your Mom? My mom and I are really close
Your Dad? I'm close with my Dad too
Brothers/sisters? I have one brother and we get along. He lives over an hour away so I don't see him a lot and we don't have much in common.
Cousins? I have 2 on my mom's side and a bunch on my dad's. The ones on my dad's side all moved to Florida so we never really saw them after that. Most of them are weirdo losers anyway. The ones on my mom's side I was a little closer too but they both live really far away now so we don't see them often.
In-laws? Eh they're okay. Overall they're nice people. They're just weird and not all that interested in their grandkids, especially my FIL. They live a mile away and he went 6 months without seeing the kids.
Grandparents? My maternal grandfather died when I was 7. My maternal grandmother was a wonderful grandma. She died when I was 12 and I still miss her so much it hurts sometimes. I wish she had gotten to see me grow up and that she had been able to meet my kids. My paternal biological grandfather died when my dad was a kid so his stepdad was my grandfather. He was a wonderful man, the most kind and gentle man I've ever known. He died a year and a half ago and I miss him. My paternal grandmother is the only one living. I visit her and talk to her on the phone. She's not the super lovey dovey type and she's a little crazy but she loves us and we love her!

January 28th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have so enjoyed reading about everyones family.

January 28th, 2011, 03:52 PM
AllMyBlessings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

What about your Mom? I LOVE my mama. <3 She is my BFF and I truly have no idea what I would do without her in my life.

Your Dad? I get along well with my dad and I love him dearly, but our relationship is complicated.

Step Parents? NA

Brothers/sisters? My little brother and his family come to visit nearly every weekend. I wish I was able to see my little sister and her family as often, but our schedules don't allow it. We all get along great though.

Cousins? I don't really know any of my cousins.

In-laws? My FIL was not a very nice man to his wife and children, but for some reason he loved me. Knowing what I did about him, I had very ambivalent feelings toward him. He passed away 9 days ago. Up until about a year ago, my MIL and I did not get along. I don't know what happened but somewhere along the way I decided that I would forgive her for all the nasty things she had said and done to me thoughout the years, and surprise- Now we get along great.

Grandparents? MY dad's parents were horrible to me when I was little, so I don't see them much. My mom's dad and step-mom, on the other hand, were worderful to me. My grandpa passed away in 1997 (10 years after he an my step grandma adopted a boy) and my step grandma changed a lot. But, I still love her and see her every once in a while. My real grandma has MS and mental illness and lives about 3 hours away so we don't see her very often.

etc, etc...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search