Headlines..

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2011, 06:48 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What is something that is in the headlines in your area today?

Your thoughts on it?

Let's keep this going, at least until the end of the month. Just post daily what news made the headlines in your area and your thoughts/feelings on it.

January 27th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
It's a mess out there | WTNH.com Connecticut
Quote:
(WTNH) - Once again Connecticut residents are plowing, shoveling and snowblowing their way out of inches of snow, in some cases, up to two feet.

Steve in East Haddam says he received about 24 inches, Rachel in Westbrook reports 20 inches, and Dana in Wallingford reports 18 inches. Click here to see more snow totals.

The snow really ramped up in the overnight/early morning hours. "Snow rates were four to four and a half inches an hour overnight," Storm Team 8 Meteorologist Gil Simmons said.

The snow was falling at such a rate during the early morning hours "there's no way we can keep up with that snowfall," Jeff Adams of the Department of Transportation said earlier in the morning.

Tractor trailers were ordered off Connecticut highways until 10:00 a.m.

"All motorists & truckers are asked to stay off roads until snow winds down and DOT has a chance to clear interstates," Gov. Dannel Malloy's office said in a statement on Twitter.

Not many truckers seemed to heed the ban; a truck got stuck on I-95 in Darien bringing traffic to a standstill.

Even though there was bare pavement on some highways, "entrance and exit ramps are not clear yet," Lt. J. Paul Vance said. "It's still pretty dangerous out there."

It's nowhere near clear," said News 8 reporter Kent Pierce, who was on I-91 in the News 8 Mobile weather lab in North Haven.

It was trouble no matter how you travel. Metro-North suspended service on the New Haven Line, and CTTransit canceled bus service.

Gov. Malloy ordered all non-essential state employees to not report into work until Noon.

"If you ever wanted to know what it's like to live in Buffalo, New York, you're experiencing it now," the governor said in a telephone interview on News 8's Good Morning Connecticut.

Malloy will be briefing the media again at Noon.

As the governor dealt with state-wide problems, mayors and selectmen dealt with their own local problems.

"People really need to stay home," New Haven Mayor John DeStefano. "Most streets in the city are not passable as of 5:30 this morning."

Bridgeport Mayor Bill Finch said City Hall would not open until Noon. "Snow Emergency in effect. Please shovel out hydrants. Move your cars off public streets," he said in a post on Twitter.

"We've picked up about 11 inches unofficially," Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton said.

"Our biggest challenge is where do you put all this snow," the mayor said said. "There's just no more room anywhere."

The big storm was out of the state a little after 7:00 a.m., replaced by bright sunshine and blue sky. But for a while it was a mess.

"There was one point around Midnight where you could not see anything at all," said Storm Team 8 Meteorologist Dr. Mel said. "It was a white out."

Dude, I'm so sick of it. So very sick of it. Even the plow, which didn't come until an hr ago is still working in the circle out front, Got stuck for a good 20 minutes, and has been shoveling with a bunch of my neighbors...

Before the plow, 9:45ish this was taken...

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 27th, 2011, 08:49 AM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
San Jose: 911 tape describes scene at Nasmeh killing - San Jose Mercury News

Crazy story - I was shocked to learn about where the murder suicide happened and when (on a Sat. night around (9:30 in a very popular shopping center with a big movie theater).

January 27th, 2011, 09:25 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
These are our headlines and it has me crying, AGAIN!
Investigators going door to door in Fairport Harbor checking gas lines - UPDATED - news-herald.com

This is the TINY little town I grew up in.
I asked Kayla's girl scout leader if we could do anything to help them as a troop, so we're trying to get the info for some dinners they are planning and go serve food, etc.. Plus we're collecting items for the families who lost it all.

January 27th, 2011, 09:46 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
IMAGES: Some Neighborhood Streets Snow Covered - Photos - WGAL The Susquehanna Valley

The snow of course. I am so tired of it and so ready for spring

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

January 27th, 2011, 12:40 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Julia Gillard faces voter backlash over flood tax | Latest news on the Queensland Floods | News.com.au

Because apparently we have a psychic PM who knows that "all Australians want to make a contribution". If that was the case (and there have been millions upon millions raised in donations already) then why would there be a need for another tax? Oh that's right... coz they won't cut money from other things that we don't really need.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

January 27th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Jennifer0911's Avatar Mommy of 2 Adorable Girls
Send a message via Yahoo to Jennifer0911
Official: 13 Iowa Players Have Muscle Disorder | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather | Local News

Everyone is going crazy about this. It's rather odd that 13 of the players have this disorder. It would be easier to digest if it was 2 or 3, but 13! Jeepers!

Check Out My Blog!!

3-13 @ 14 weeks
January 27th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
West Plains Horses Put Down With Similar Leg Injuries - News Story - KXLY Spokane

My heart breaks for this horse owner..

January 28th, 2011, 07:29 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Woman Says Man Assaulted Her And Her Child At Capitol - Pennsylvania News Story - WGAL The Susquehanna Valley

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

January 28th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Snow cleanup continues

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 29th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Aryan Nations Responds To Attempted Bombing - North Idaho News Story - KXLY Spokane

January 29th, 2011, 02:40 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
North Queensland braces for Cyclone Anthony as Cyclone Yasi brews behind it | News.com.au

Because the worst floods in history just were not enough.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

January 31st, 2011, 04:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh man Mellie, Your country needs a break!

More snow coming -- Winter Storm Watch posted | WTNH.com Connecticut

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search