Now I'm a little concerned...

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2011, 09:28 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
The boys had their two year check up and for the most part it went great. Owen's speech is improving and both are hitting milestones but DH and I left a little worried.
Rhys's weight is only 20lbs 4oz, meaning he hasn't gained anything since their 18mos check-up and only 2lbs this year despite growing 4inches. In addition he has totally fallen off his own growth curve. We have a new pedi who recommended slathering all of his food in butter, oil and such and adding pediasure. I don't mind adding pediasure (which he had this am and then didn't eat any breakfast 1hr later) I don't feel good about adding all that butter and such to his food, one that he would get used to eating like that and two, even at that age can it be good for you? The boys eat peanut/almond butter, get avocado in smoothies though Rhys is fairly picky and would live off of cheerios and fruit/veggies.
We go back for a weight check in 1mos and if he hasn't gained anything then we proceed to blood work.

thanks for listening!!

February 2nd, 2011, 11:55 PM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How much heavier is Owen? Have they always been similar so that you can compare? I guess it's scary that he's grown so tall and hot gained but hopefully it's just the way he is.

I think I'd also be reluctant to go overboard with the butter and fats .. I hope you can continue to sneak in the good things.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
February 3rd, 2011, 01:36 AM
*Fiona*
I would feel the same as you about using excess butter/fats. Before doing that I would try to up calories via food intake, like using cheese sauces etc. I can't think off the top of my head but I'm sure google or parenting websites would have food lists you could incorporate into their diets.

I agree with the comment above, what weight difference is there between the boys? Is Rhys healthy in general? Perhaps he's just going to be more petite.
February 3rd, 2011, 01:48 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
How tall is he though? He doesn't look extremely thin from what I've seen of him in pics... I don't know that I would be too concerned if he is meeting his milestones, active and happy, and not seeming ill - and he did grow in height, so he IS growing.

Kate has only gained 1 lb between 18 mos and now, and maybe 3 lbs total this year, BUT she has grown 5 inches! She seems to stretch thin as she grows, lol. Anyways, just trying to maybe make you feel less concerned. (((hugs)))

* Words of caution about the Pedisaure: when my Jack was a baby, he grew in height but didn't gain, was quite visibly thin, and was prescribed Pediasure. He did gain a little weight on it, but it filled him up, and he already had a pretty spotty appetite to begin with so then didn't have an interest in eating food... so my advice would be to only offer the Pediasure after a meal or snack, kind of like a dessert or beverage. I gave Jack a full can in a bedtime sippy cup but other than that I tried not to let it take the place of food - he was picky enough, I didn't want him refusing to try things in favour of his "milkshake", kwim? Plus, it's sweet. Well, he is picky to this day, and doesn't like plain milk, he has a sweet tooth now and won't drink it without Quik syrup - and we still have to give him Ensure to get adequate nutrition in him. But, there is not a thing wrong with him, his doctor says, some kids are just skinny and picky.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
February 3rd, 2011, 05:54 AM
Alexa5
I agree with the others in adding calories in other ways if you can find them. For example, there are some days Nicholas would eat cheese until we cleared the house of it, but I still limit him to whatever his normal serving is.... and offer up other foods if he is still hungry (less fattening options). Because he has grown really well and is 90% for everything.

But that kind of thing is where I would add calories if he needed them...if he wanted more cheese, milk, whatever that was healthy.

I think you are on the right track with your thoughts on the matter.
February 3rd, 2011, 06:17 AM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
I could understand your concerns.

It is very difficult when children don't grow as expected and such. I am totally opposed to the idea of adding excessive fats into his diet for weight gain. Yes, I agree with you, could totally start bad eating habits.

There is a book called, "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld and it incorporates healthy tasty foods that get the right fats and such into your children. Not sure if this would help you.

I am also kind of iffy on the idea of using Pediasure. How much can our toddlers really take in? Bradley is required to sit at mealtimes, but TBH, he is a grazer like most toddlers. If I added the Pediasure to his diet he for sure wouldn't eat at mealtimes. I just know how much his tummy can handle.... so, that is def. a call that you would know best.

I guess if I was in your position, per say, I would ask myself are his stools normal? Does he vomit at all after eating? Does he have frequent urination? Is he excessivly hungry? Is he over the top moody? Is he pale? Does he seem to have trouble catching his breath? Kind of trying to think of absorption, endocrine, CVS issues.... As far as bloodwork goes, what would the doc being looking for for red flags? Did his physical exam have any red flags?

To me, it sounds like the usual he isn't gaining as expected so the pedi just gave you the schpeel that he/she has too. It is so difficult NOT being concerned because its natural and I am not saying don't be concerned. After all, YOU KNOW YOUR CHILD better than anybody and if you have hunch go with it. And don't wait. Don't wait over time. Why not get labs now? But, if you are concerned becaue the pedi kind of made you that way than, just try to ease yourself knowing what you know..... I hope that all made sense...

February 3rd, 2011, 06:20 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I too would not feel comfortable with slthering my child's food in butter and fats. Amara only gained 1/2lb since 18 months but she got taller.

I too am curious as to the weight difference. And there's always the possibility that he could just be small if he's healthy otherwise and doing well.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
February 3rd, 2011, 07:16 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you decide to up his calorie intake, you're already on the right track with avacados cheese is about the same as butter in my book - they're both dairy.

You could try full-fat coconut milk - not as milk, per say, but it is quite delicious over fruit

fatty meats, dark meats, nuts, seeds - all good sources of healthy fats. Although I'm sure most dr's wouldn't agree with me about meat fats
February 3rd, 2011, 08:38 AM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had to use pediasure for some of my foster kiddos and I dislike the stuff so much! They fill up on it and then don't eat healthy things. The ingredient list on that stuff is unpronounceable.

I would definitely do nut butters, full fat yogurt smoothies, full-fat cheeses and milk, olive oil on veggies, etc.

February 3rd, 2011, 09:25 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Patrick lost 4 lbs right around a year (probably because he started walking, and was SO active) but my doctor gave me the same advice. I just got into the habit of offering snacks more often. Turns out that he wasn't hungry enough to stop and ask for food if he was playing, but if I offered it, he was willing to eat it (especially if it was something that he could take with him). After a couple months he was back where he was supposed to be.

Here's hoping that it's nothing serious in your little guy, and just one of those random things toddlers do!

February 3rd, 2011, 09:46 AM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
Thanks everyone for listening and the advice!!

As for Owen, he is almost 24lbs and a smidge taller. Up until now the boys have always been within a few ounces of each other. I didn't think of it much when I noticed Owen was getting heavier, since they are frats we just assumed Owen was going to be bigger as he is built different.
Rhys is doing all the things a 2yr old should do but he is cold all the time, he is always asking for hats and/or gloves or hoodies. He definitely doesn't have the tummy most toddlers have.
So for now we are going to add coconut milk (thanks Anne!) into foods, more nut butters, hummus etc and then offer milkshake, pediasure after meals.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search