Backpack "leashes"

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2011, 02:47 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have to ask... does anyone use these with their little one?

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

February 4th, 2011, 03:04 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We did with Emily. If we were at a fair or somewhere that she'd like to walk but was crowded, we used one. She loved it and I didn't have to worry.

It's a dog, backpack and she loved being able to put her stuff in it and wear it.

February 4th, 2011, 03:32 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Funny you should bring this up because I was just looking at them the other night. Next time I go to walmart I will be picking up the monkey one for Ben. I like the dog, but I think a monkey suits him better lol!

He insists on walking everywhere. He's a madman in public so I've gotta harness him!
February 4th, 2011, 03:53 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think the monkey one is adorable! I haven't needed one yet, but if I ever do, I wil be getting the monkey back pack.
February 4th, 2011, 04:45 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I don't have it yet...but have been considering it since Liam wants to walk everywhere now. I will prolly get one of the backpack ones too, when we do.
February 4th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Lucy has a unicorn one. She loves it. Jassie had a teddy bear one. It made it so much easier when she wanted to walk.

February 4th, 2011, 06:09 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been debating about asking about them here for awhile. My sister got Levi the monkey one for Christmas and wasn't really sure how I felt about it. I don't have a problem with them, but I'd be afraid of how other people would view me. I don't want people to think I don't have control of him. Knowing my luck, someone would come up to me and make some comment, too. I always get the creepers following me anyways!

I'm sure once the new baby comes I'm going to be less self conscious about it. My attention is going to be divided and if it helps keep him safe, it's worth it. The thought of a child wandering off is so scary.

It's good to see that so many people are considering, or have used them.

February 4th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Monica- don't ever worry about how others perceive you. Harnesses definitely don't mean you don't have control just that you want your child to be safe. Little kids wander, it's just what they do and God forbid you're somewhere busy and Levi wanders. With a harness you can have him right there at all times.

I don't have control over Ben. He is SO much different than my oldest. Ben thinks the world is his living room!
February 4th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I hate to even wonder how many little kids wouldn't have been kidnapped while at fairs, malls, etc.. if parents had used them. I'm so anal about where my kids are. If Emily isn't in a cart or stroller she is holding my hand and does NOT let go, so the "leash" gave her a little freedom and me a peace of mind.

February 4th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I agree. I am always amazed when I'll be out and see kids roaming way far away from their parents. The mom is pushing a stroller usually and not bothering to look behind her to check her kids! I am completely anal about where my kids are at all times. Actually about 3 months ago I thought someone grabbed my older son in target. I let him go in the star wars aisle and my hubby was just across the way. My son didn't see him and went to the baby aisle where he knew I was. Of course I left for the toy aisle. I was frantic and started yelling out his name and running up and down the aisles. Scared the crap out of me and he's 11! You just can't ever be too safe with your kids. I've actually helped a couple of little kids in the store find their moms because she had changed locations in the store and the kid didn't notice. Really irks me. There are predators out there waiting for perfect opportunities just like that, but some people refuse to believe it's not 1950 anymore.
February 4th, 2011, 10:14 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
We had a monkey one for Ben but he hated it. I still have it and will try using it for Jillian when she's a little older.

I don't have a problem with them. I don't really care if someone were to judge me negatively for using one either. Even the best kids with the best parents can get away quickly sometimes and it only takes a split second for something to happen. Even a well behaved kid doesn't always listen immediately and that's not a chance I want to take somewhere crowded.

February 4th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I've only ever had one person say something to me. She told me I should be a parent and hold my childs hand. I told her that I would if she spent her entire shopping trip with her arm up in the air like my child's would be too.

February 4th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellieB View Post
I've only ever had one person say something to me. She told me I should be a parent and hold my childs hand. I told her that I would if she spent her entire shopping trip with her arm up in the air like my child's would be too.
I can't believe someone said that to you.
February 5th, 2011, 06:31 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have one for Breana and we use it a lot. I might have to get one for Xander soon.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

February 5th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Does anyone remember those rainbow colored ones from way back when? I think I was in middle school when I noticed people using them. Whoever thought of the cute back packs ones is a genius
February 5th, 2011, 10:50 AM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post
We had a monkey one for Ben but he hated it. I still have it and will try using it for Jillian when she's a little older.

I don't have a problem with them. I don't really care if someone were to judge me negatively for using one either. Even the best kids with the best parents can get away quickly sometimes and it only takes a split second for something to happen. Even a well behaved kid doesn't always listen immediately and that's not a chance I want to take somewhere crowded.
I agree. I would take someone's judgements any day over the gut wrenching fear of not knowing where my child is. They can judge away because keeping my little one safe is all that matters to me and I think it's a cute way to keep them out of harm's way.

We're also thinking about getting one of these in pink for both girls when they are a little older.

Child Tracking Device | Lost Children Finder - Child GPS Locator Device By BrickHouse Security

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

Last edited by FyreMommy2B; February 5th, 2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: additional info
February 5th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Wow Mellie. I've had several people give me dirty looks when I used ours. I don't care though. Whatever floats their boat. I figure it's one of a couple of things, Either they don't have children and think they know it all, or they have children and are too busy watching me, they forgot where they left theirs.
There is no way I could live with myself if my kid got snatched up and a simple "leash" would have prevented that.
I mean let's be real.. My dog listens better than my kids and she walks on a leash.
Come on, you know that made you LOL.

February 5th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
I have an old school one from when i was a kid and it was a DISASTER when I put her on it. She would pull and bounce etc. I think I may try again now that she is older or get her a cute one. Sigh.

February 5th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
I never agreed with them until Thomas did get away from me a couple months ago.. That was the scariest feeling I've ever had. But he is 5. And it was an honest mistake and he thought we were right with him. He didn't just wander off to be defiant or to go play or whatever.

Now, I think like most things, they work for some parents and not for others. Knowing Collin, he'd act out MORE if I were to try and "leash" him. Bailey on the other hand requires a constant eye on her at all times when out...

I don't know.. I personally don't like them, but would cast glares at someone who used one..

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
February 5th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Paula~ View Post
Wow Mellie. I've had several people give me dirty looks when I used ours. I don't care though. Whatever floats their boat. I figure it's one of a couple of things, Either they don't have children and think they know it all, or they have children and are too busy watching me, they forgot where they left theirs.
There is no way I could live with myself if my kid got snatched up and a simple "leash" would have prevented that.
I mean let's be real.. My dog listens better than my kids and she walks on a leash.
Come on, you know that made you LOL.
lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search