My poor little guy :(

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2011, 09:31 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Billy has had this really bad cough at night. It's caused by mucus. Last night it was so bad that I slept in his nursery. Poor thing is exhausted in the mornings because he gets such bad sleep. Is there anything I can do besides using the humidifier? I have that runnign all night plus I got the VICKS waterless one going too.
February 17th, 2011, 09:37 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can put vicks on his feet and then socks over it. Also, tip one end of his mattress a little, so he's not completely flat.

February 17th, 2011, 09:53 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ben just got over a cold and was full of mucus. I gave him Dimetap cough and cold. I *know* they say no meds for children under 6 because they don't work, but I personally think that's hooey. I asked the pharmacist what to do for him and he said he gives his daughter (16 months) dimetap. I obviously don't give a full dose, just 1/4 of a tsp and it cleared him up enough so he could sleep. He was so snotty he couldn't breathe to nurse or sleep well at all. You can go to the Dr. sears website and he explains cold medicines and dosing for kids.

I hope Billy feels better soon. I hate when they get sick like this. Oh and ditto to what Paula said about the Vicks.
February 17th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I agree with the cough meds. The garbage about it not working, is a crock of crap!

February 17th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Thank you for the advice. I will stop by the pharmacy after work. I will also use Vicks on his feet. He wears footie jammies. Do I need to use socks too?
February 17th, 2011, 10:19 AM
No, as long as his feet are covered.

February 17th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I have never tried it but a friend of mine gives honey to her toddler to help a cough, i don't because Elise still has never had raw honey even though she is over one

February 17th, 2011, 10:35 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah a few mothers overdosing their kids and mixing meds to put them to sleep ruined it for everyone. So now no one under 6 is supposed to take anything?? When a poor baby can't breathe he/she needs something. You can steam and vaporize and suck out all the mucus you want, but it won't dry it up like an antihistamine. You guys know I tend to always try the natural route, but when my baby can't sleep it's time to go the OTC med route.

And from my experience if u have a question about meds ask the pharmacist. They're the ones that truly know what works best AND the potential side effects etc etc.
February 17th, 2011, 10:55 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope he feels better. Being mucousy at night is the worst!

I know Levi is still all over the place in his crib, but I know when I can't stop coughing sleeping with more pillows, so I'm kind of sitting up, helps. Laying on my back is the worst.

The vicks should definitely help, too. I put a few drops of eucalyptus oil with water in the inhalant part of our humidifier, which really helps clear ya out. It has the same effect as vicks. Is that what the dry humidifier is?

February 17th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I'm sorry he is sick.. I hope he feels better soon..

If you want to avoid medications.. There are natural remedies you can give..

Quote:
After the CDC released a warning in 2007 that cold and flu medicines should not be given to any children under the age of 2, more parents began looking to natural alternatives to comfort and heal their children without the very frightening risk of deadly side-effects or accidental overdoses.

Unfortunately, a lack of FDA regulation and unbiased studies have prevented most natural and herbal medicines from being studied in young children. Fortunately, however, one of the most powerful natural anti-flu remedies--black elderberry extract--has been confirmed to be safe in children of all ages.

Black elderberry extract is a concentrated juice derived from the berries of the black elderberry shrub. The flowers and berries of this amazing plant have been shown in numerous studies to have powerful anti-flu and anti-cold effects. Black elderberry extract works by both stimulating the immune system and by actively killing viruses that cause infection.
Fight Colds and Flu with Elderberry: Safe for Children and Infants - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Sambucol, For Kids, 4 oz

^-- You can find this in a health food store or the organic section in your local super market..

**Edit to add.. Black Elderberry works wonders in my family.. I use a different brand, called Gaia Herbs. Unfortunately, that brand is only recommend for 2 and up.. I can't wait to start giving some to A.J..

They do sell vicks baby rub.. Vicks never really helped A.J with his colds and chronic cough.. But I do hope it helps for you..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; February 17th, 2011 at 11:23 AM.
February 17th, 2011, 11:14 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the Vicks on the chest. and also some cold medicine just don't give the full dose.

I hope he feels better soon

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

February 17th, 2011, 01:05 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poor Billy. Hope he feels better soon. I have no extra suggestions other than what has already been suggested.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

February 17th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks ladies. I will do what you have recommended and tell you how he does tonight.
February 17th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
same suggestions from me. I use tylenol cough and cold, using half the dose I'd give Thomas based on weight.

Also, I've done with all three, honey. With Bailey I've done 1/4 tsp and it's really helped. As well as a super steamy bathroom with lots of stories before bed.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search