Moving dilemma...need your thoughts...

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2011, 11:50 PM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
Ok so this may be long but I would appreciate any insight...

We are thinking about moving.

Our current house
The house we currently have now is about 1500sq ft. It's 3 bedrooms with a finished loft attic that our 15 year sleeps in (no doors). The layout of the place is not great. The combination living/dining/kitchen area makes this place really small. The fact we have our own bathroom in our room is nice. There is a full bath (tub shower), a 3/4 bath (shower only) and a 1/2 bath (toilet only). The heat is radient heat (comes up from the floor) and the yard is a good open size that is fenced and can hold about 10-12 cars...the area is quiet and we feel safe here. We are on the corner and have a lot of traffic from time to time so that stinks. The drive to/from post is about 20 minutes at 5am and about 30-35 minutes during rush hour.

The Contender House
The house we looked at yesterday is about 1800sq ft. It's 4 bedrooms with an attic that would be strictly storage. The layout is great. The garage level (sortof like a basement, is built into the ground) would have Derrick's bedroom, the familyroom, and laundry room. The 1st level has the SEPERATE kitchen, formal diningroom and 3/4 bath. The 2nd level has three bedrooms and full bathroom. The front yard is on a slope, built up and would be ok for the Xavier to play in. The back yard is also decent. There is grass for the kids to play in and the driveway is a nice size for Xavier to ride his bike on. However, the driveway width is nothing like what we have now. I'm not quite sure our new car will even be able to be put in the garage because the bend might be to narrow to turn in. The yard is feneced though and safe. The area seems quiet and looks safe. It's at a dead end and we will have NO traffic. The landlord's son lives next to us. The drive to/from post is about 15 minutes regardless of rush hour, I beleive. We haven't travelled it at rush hour yet. Also, the view from the back bedrooms is an unobstructive view of the mountains...PLUS!

Now, the Contender House I think is perfect. The problem is is the moving expenses...Dh is trying to get "Senior Lock In" to where we are stationed here until Derrick graduates high school in 2014.

This is what we will have to pay to move...

$2,200 for our gas bill her at our current house. We just realized that they hadn't been billing us since we moved here in May 2009 and we will have to pay this regardless if we move or not.

$1,800 for security deposit

$1,800 for 1st months rent

$910 for 1/2 rent of the current place so we can make sure we can move and clear this place (cleaning, fixing holes from shelves, etc)

which is $6,710.

Plus, the moving expense (about $500 or the rental truck, food, beer, wine, etc for help from friends)

HOWEVER,

1) We have to pay the $2,200 regardless if we move
2) We will get $1,800 back from the security deposit of our current place
3) We will get $1,800 back when we move back to the States from the current place.

So we are really only losing $910 from having to pay for both places for 2 weeks to ensure our current house is cleaned and cleared. And the moving expenses...

So what do you guys think...worth it?
February 19th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Blondn6ft's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like the sound of it.

We LOVE living on our court ... it will be great for Addi when she is big enough to zoom around in her car. My niece and nephew LOVE riding their bikes around in it. It's nice not to have through traffic.

Sounds like you will have a little bit more breathing room for everyone. I am sure Derrick will love having his own "pad" in the basement area !

For us ... our cars are outside the garage too ... it is too small for our cars. Granted we don't have to contend with any real SEVERE weather here so the cars look fine.

I say ... GO FOR IT !

February 19th, 2011, 08:04 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The new house sounds great!

When will you know if your husband can get senior lock down? And if he can't how much longer would you guys be in Italy? I guess that's the main thing I'd be thinking about. If you can stay until Derrick graduates I'd definitely upgrade to the bigger place, but if you guys will be leaving soon it might not be worth the hassle and expense ya know?

I am really hoping tho you guys get to stay!!! It would be great if Derrick can stay thru graduation!! Either way, good luck, crossing my fingers for you

Oh and more pics please (when you're not so crazy busy). I love looking at your gorgeous views!!
February 19th, 2011, 11:20 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The new house sounds great.

For the money since you will only pay the $910 in the end if you can afford the double $1800 I would say go for it.

Good Luck with your decision.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

February 19th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I f you can stay longer i would say go for it, it seems like you would be a lot happier making the money worth it

February 20th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
February 20th, 2011, 02:58 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would say go for it too. Being close to work is something you just can't beat. We're only a 10min drive in peak hour from home and its fantastic.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search