Raising Child Slaves

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Just kidding! I swear!

But seriously, what is one chore you cannot wait for your LO to be able to do?

For me, it's fold and put away their own laundry. The boys are starting to put away, but folding will be a way out!
"Raising Child Slaves"
Or empty, *and* take out the garbage. I hate, hate, hate going near the trash can when it's full, or close to full and hate waiting for Tom. I cannot wait until one of the boys can do it.

Also, I am very, very grateful that Thomas and Collin both enjoy vacuuming, as does Bailey with her play vacuum. I've mentioned but I haven't vacuumed in weeks! They are so good at getting into the nooks under the furniture as well.

Do/Will you give cash allowances for completely chores?

We give the boys cash allowances maybe 50% pf the time. If they do theirs on their list--have to do at least 30/35 (5 chores a piece for the week) and we give cash for going above and beyond. Thomas is quickly learning the value of a dollar, learning how to save to get that "cool new game" he wants, he's understanding how to be generous, as we implemented a rule *he suggested* where the shopper has to buy a little something for their siblings, even if it's from the dollar section. He's also learning, if he saves up even longer he can do something "way cooler than buying a cheap toy" (his words not mine..) like go to the movies, CEC or whatever.

We have a lot of weeks we are broke, and instead of giving cash those weeks we do an activity together, like a super messy craft or playing the Wii as a family, extra long family game night/story time, watching movies together and having popcorn.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
February 24th, 2011, 06:37 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dishes! By then we'll probably have a dishwasher, though. I'll be the mom that's saying "Back in my day, we had to wash the dishes by hand... with the pump outside.... in the winter!"

I'm not sure about money for chores, but I do think rewards for chores. Even if that reward is something as simple as watching TV or having a friend over. I guess it depends how desperate I get. It could turn into "Ok, $50, just do the dishes!"

That's so cute Thomas thought he should get something for his siblings. I could see my sister starting a rule like that as a kid.

February 24th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Quote:
Dishes! By then we'll probably have a dishwasher, though. I'll be the mom that's saying "Back in my day, we had to wash the dishes by hand... with the pump outside.... in the winter!"
Just a few weeks ago, Thomas asked me if I had to unload the dishwasher when I was a kid. I had explained to him, "no, Nana made Mommy use a sponge and wash the dishes with her hands after dinner."

He was beyond shocked, and kept asking me if our dishwasher was broken.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
February 24th, 2011, 09:29 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, Kayla is old enough for chores, so she has them.
She loads the dishwasher daily ( I had to wash them by hand as a kid too)
Feeds the animals
Does her own laundry. She actually asked me if she could learn to do her own laundry, No way was I turning that down! Her laundry isn't one of her chores though.
And she takes Maggie for a walk every day but thinks I haven't noticed that she hasn't taken her all winter. lol I make her in the summer but in the winter, I'm not pushing the issue. It's just too cold out there!

She does get an allowance. She gets $20 every two weeks put directly into her checking account.
She also gets paid for A's on her report card.

February 24th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I will pay for chores not sure how much the main thing is picking up your own mess it what i want the most i hate cleaning toys every day ,
I am not sure i would pay for a's though i don't think it is bad if you do i just remember my twin sister had a rely hard time in school so if we got pain for a's i would of gotten a ton and she would of had nothing

February 24th, 2011, 11:59 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Each one of my kids will have their own chores to do. They will get an allowance not sure on how much but it has to be above and beyond.

They will also have to pick up their own messes. I am working on Breana right now.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

February 24th, 2011, 02:03 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What!? You mean your toddlers aren't scrubbing the floors daily with their toothbrushes now??

I'd be happy if they would pick up their toys without help! Jasmine often puts her own clothes away after I have folded them. All I will ever really ask them to do is keep their own things neat and tidy and to help with everything else. They won't have specific chores, it will just be what needs doing.

As for paying them. They will get a "base pay" each week and be able to earn "bonuses" by keeping their room clean and helping out. We already do this with Jasmine. They will also be able to loose money by being really naughty.

For Jas to see this we do bead jars. I have two jars. One with a happy face and one with a sad face. She starts the week with 20 beads in the happy jar. If she acts up really bad (needs time out more than 2x a day) she looses a bead from the happy jar and it goes into the sad jar. She can earn it back by doing something like picking up her toys without being asked. I also have extra beads that she can earn for being really good and tidying up without being asked. Each bead is worth 10 cents.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

Tags
chores , cleaning , qotd

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search