naps

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2011, 11:13 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is anyone's baby still taking two naps? If so, how many hours are in between them?

Lately Levi has been having trouble with the afternoon nap. I don't know if I should cut it out. His morning nap is at 9am, so that'd be a pretty crappy time of day for his only nap. He loves that nap, too. He goes in his room and grab his blankets around 9 .

He also goes to sleep at 6pm, which is the same thing... he loves it, runs in his room, gets his blankets... he's ready. On days he doesn't take that second nap he's ready for bed at 4:30 or 5 .

He's always slept a ton, so I'm at a loss. The thought of one nap is a little daunting. I don't want him to be a mess, but I don't want him to be oversleeping either. Advice or encouragement?

February 24th, 2011, 11:22 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Billy has been taking a 3-4 hour nap. I asked my mil and mom to limit it to 2 hours because I can't be getting only 4 hours of sleep at night anymore, then going to work.
February 24th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jennifer* View Post
Billy has been taking a 3-4 hour nap. I asked my mil and mom to limit it to 2 hours because I can't be getting only 4 hours of sleep at night anymore, then going to work.
Yeah, 4 hours is rough!

Luckily no matter how much he sleeps during the day, he always sleeps at night. Down at 6pm, up at 7:30am. He really sleeps a lot.

February 24th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Billy has been a terrible sleeper from day one.
February 24th, 2011, 12:09 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never heard of any baby sleeping that much Monica. If Ben were to fall asleep at 6 he would wake up at 8 and be up till 2am. Which he does quite often. Just when I get him on track for a day or two he gets back off again and has days and nites confused. He easily can be up for 8 hour stretches. The longest was 9 1/2!!

Have you ever mentioned his sleeping to his pediatrician? I'm not trying to scare you because it's probably just his normal, I've just never had a baby sleep that much. I'm curious how the other babies here are napping and sleeping.

Sounds like Billy and Ben have similiar patterns .
February 24th, 2011, 12:56 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Xander gets one nap a day unless he is sick.

The nap is usually around 2 hours,

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

February 24th, 2011, 01:28 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Abby still takes two naps. She also loves sleeping, so did Kayla. I've never had sleeping "issues" with any of them.

Abby goes to bed at 7:30pm and wakes at 8am.
She's ready for her 1st nap at 9:30am and I wake her at 11:30am.
Then her and Emily both nap at 1pm and Abby is still napping. (It's 4:30pm).

Sleeping is awesome for them at this age. The more they get, the better.
Try adjusting his morning nap if you need to cut it to one nap.
Move it to 10am, if possible and then that should help with him getting through the rest of the day.

Emily use to go to bed at 6pm!! She'd BEG us!! And she'd sleep until 9am!
I love that my kids love to sleep!!

February 24th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Elise still sleeps quite a bit also when she started to cut out her afternoon nap it was a mess so i pushed morning nap to between 11 and 12 and she takes a 2 to 3 hour nap it took her a few weeks to adjust but what she ended up doing was sleeping in longer she used to sleep until about 7-7:30am but now sleeps until between 8 and 9am.

February 24th, 2011, 01:38 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Geez ladies!!! No wonder you get all this cleaning and knitting in LOL!!! I'm jealous. Neither of my boys have ever voluntarily went to bed. Ben's sleeping issues are way worse than my oldests were. Right now things are kind of chaotic around here, but as soon as we move I'm gonna work extra hard to get Ben on a nice normal schedule. He's gonna have a lot more outside time so I'm hoping that will help.
February 24th, 2011, 01:41 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jasmine was a very big sleeper. Wish she still was at times.

Lucy has one nap a day most days. She goes down at about 12:30 and I wake her if she's not up by 4. The day I need to pick Jas up from Kinder at one she has an hour in the morning as she doesn't get her afternoon nap till close on 2.

Bedtime is about 7-7:30. Sometimes we can hear Lucy still playing 2 hours later! If we keep her up though she is super cranky. I'm thinking she likes the alone time. This morning she was up at 6:20am but some days will sleep till 8.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

February 24th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherineclare View Post
Geez ladies!!! No wonder you get all this cleaning and knitting in LOL!!! I'm jealous. Neither of my boys have ever voluntarily went to bed. Ben's sleeping issues are way worse than my oldests were. Right now things are kind of chaotic around here, but as soon as we move I'm gonna work extra hard to get Ben on a nice normal schedule. He's gonna have a lot more outside time so I'm hoping that will help.

It honestly sounds like Billy and Ben are identical with their sleep issues. Last night, Billy got up at 2 am. It's like he doesn't know the difference between a nap and sleeping at night.
February 24th, 2011, 04:16 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Liam is a pretty cruddy sleeper too. For now, we are doing one nap.

But our issue was similar to yours. He is up early (5am, if that late) and he was ready to go down at 9am. But obviously that was not going to work for the "daytime" nap. So, everyday for about a week, I made sure I was out of the house (with him) over that time. I would come home around 10:30 and put him down then. I just made sure that last ride home was not more than 5 minutes, so even if he fell asleep in the car, I could still get him down for a nap. We did things like gymnastics, the park, the mall (I let him walk), grocery shopping, etc...so it was not him being inert and possibly falling asleep in the stroller or whatever. And once that week was up, he was used to the new naptime. We have been gradually moving it a little later, so we are at a nap from around 11am til 1ish. Sometimes he will sleep a little longer, but usually right around 2 hours.

He still goes to bed at 6:30pm and about half the time he is up at night. But the naptime doesn't seem to be related. He sleeps about two hour during the day, no matter if it was one nap or two.

Hope you figure it out. Now might be a good time, so he is more scheduled when the bub gets here
February 24th, 2011, 05:27 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tegan is still on 2 naps. She is a big sleeper. She sleeps 7pm-6:30 (she has to get up for daycare so on weekends she sometimes sleeps in). She naps 9:30-11:30 and 2:30-3:30. She has just started maybe once a week to make her morning nap a 3 hour one and then no afternoon nap and in bed by 6:30 on those days.
February 24th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Ash- Thanks for the advice. I didn't think about getting out of the house to cut that nap out. Another friend of mine suggested moving it back 15 minutes at a time until it's closer to 11. Either of those might work.

Paula- it's good to know your girls are similar sleepers. That makes me feel more normal. When I meet people they look at me like I have 10 heads when I mention how much he sleeps. I think I'm going to try waking him from the first nap before I cut the second.

Catherine- yup that's the only way I could have gotten the knitting done. If he's awake he grabs it out of my hand, then shakes his head "no."

I know he's crazy with the sleeping. I have thought about asking the doctor, but I felt weird asking "Does my kid sleep too much?" I feel like I should just take it, if that's how he is. I know so many kids that aren't great sleepers, I feel bad for even asking. I think I'm going to bring it up at his next appointment March 8th, though, to be sure.

February 24th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
*jealous* I'd try moving the morning one. I know when Bailey started fighting the afternoon nap, that's what we did. She used to nap 10-12, then 2-4/5.

Now she goes down between 11:30 and 12:30, depends on if *shE* wants lunch first, then gets up between 2:30-3:15.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
February 25th, 2011, 06:04 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Hey, never feel bad that your little one sleeps good. That is AWESOME! I don't generally think a kid *can* sleep too much. I know that I have always been a CRAZY sleeper. I slept through the night every night from 8 DAYS old and I still need 10 hours of sleep to feel human. My youngest brother is the same way. I am hoping and praying (beyond a healthy baby) that this one on the way has my sleep habits, versus my husbands.

You can still bring it up. But I imagine there is nothing wrong and Levi just loves to sleep. Hopefully you can work out his naps. Those couple weeks of transition are tough, but maybe he will take to it better than you think.
February 25th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I'm the same way, Ash. I need 10 hours or I can't function. It was awful when I was in school.

So I woke him up from his first nap at 10:30, put him down for the second around 1:20, and all has been quiet since. It could be that it's such a rainy day. It's a great day for sleeping.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search