Talking

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2011, 06:09 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is Xander the only one not talking yet???

He only says momma and dadda.

Sometimes he will say bye and hi but not very often.

I am thinking he is behind. I know you shouldn't compare him with Breana but it is hard to. I am just worried that he is having a speech delay.

THanks ladies.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

February 26th, 2011, 06:21 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Levi says mom, dada, more, moon, and baby "day dee" So pretty much everything he says comes from sounds in mom and dad. Other people would probably think he's just saying mom and dad, I just know the subtle differences from being with him.

It is weird seeing other babies, in particular one of Levi's friends who's 15 months, be able to repeat word after word. It's hard not to compare.

I'm going to mention something to his doc at the next appointment. Even if he is behind, I'm not sure I'd get him started in speech therapy of any kind yet. He understands enough that I'm not usually worried... it's just when we hang out with those babies that are way ahead I wonder.

February 26th, 2011, 06:27 PM
~KMV~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Damian says mama dada buh bye and that..

i can hear him mumble other words and phrases but nothing that I think anyone outside of our house would understand

February 26th, 2011, 06:30 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Billy is not a talker at all! He is more of a noise maker. He'll make the sounds objects make, such as making a blowing sound when you ask him what sound a vent makes. Word-wise though, he is extremely limited. Daddy, fish, and sss(for sokie (paci), are his only 3 constant words. He said mama just a few times and those were while crying.

I am not going to worry about it. DH's cousin's kid was grunting and pointing at things at 2 years old. He had absolutely no speech issues now.
February 26th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
A.J just started talking more ever since he had tubes placed in his ears.. I'm not worried about it.. He'll catch up when he gets older..

A co-worker of mine told me that her son use to bark and make animal sounds when he was a toddler.. She said he was mimicking things around him and was concerned because he was not talking. Well, he's grown up now and valedictorian of his collage class.. So, even if they are not talking, they are observing sounds around them.

And they do say boys develop differently then girls.. I noticed it between my two children.

February 26th, 2011, 07:05 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tegan says dada, mama, baba (bye-bye), nana, and papa fairly often. But she wont repeat them if you try and get her to say them. In the past she has said Hi and yeah, but I havent heard them in a while. She doesnt say things on command its on her terms when she wants to. I'm not too concerned though some babies just talk sooner than others. She is very noisy and vocal so the words will come
February 26th, 2011, 07:16 PM
elsi2009's Avatar Veteran
Jasmin does not talk much either. She says "all done" and "mama". She had another word which sounded a little like "thanks" in German, but she does not use it anymore. She repeats and copies me and knows which page of a book refers to which song or nursery rhyme. She also sometimes points at a dog in a book when I ask her where the dog is. I am not too worried right now.
The daughter of a friend of mine started talking at age 2 and is now advanced. They were asked by the school or so to skip the first grade and do the second grade instead.
February 26th, 2011, 07:18 PM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
No talking here. We can understand "Hi, bye, ma, and da" She does a lot of squealing and gibberish sounding noises.

February 26th, 2011, 07:20 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thanks ladies.

Adrianna's mommy I do notice alot of differences in my 2 children

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

February 27th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
I do the comparing as well. Thomas was talking 2-3 word sentences at this age. Collin wasn't saying a single word until after his 2nd birthday.

Bailey is "average" she has a vocab of seven to ten words. None are used on a daily basis.

I wouldn't worry if he is at least babbling. If he *not* babbling, and his only sounds are crying and grunting or "uh uh uh" I'd speak to your pedi about it.

I wish I knew to do that with Collin.... I called the state help line, and was put in contact with the birth to three program. It made a huge difference.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
February 27th, 2011, 11:39 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Abby says quite a bit, she'll try to repeat anything you tell her too. Yesterday she said Emily for the first time (Em-in-u) and Maggie, which comes out perfectly as MOMMY! LOL
Regularly she says Mama, Dada, Teeda (Kayla), Papa, Buh-bye, Bink, poop, Hi, uh-oh, whoops, yummy, eat, bite, nice, cup, wuff, meow, book and probably a few I'm forgetting.

All 3 of my girls were early talkers and they still never shut up.

However, I've worked in preschools and daycares and can tell you, it's perfectly normal to only be saying a couple of words right now.

My nephew is 11 days younger than Abby and says, NOTHING!!! NOT ONE WORD!
He literally whimpers for everything like a puppy and it drives me crazy because you aren't suppose to give them what they want from a whimper or grunt.

If they grunt and point to something, you are suppose to say the word and encourage them to say it.

I talk to my girls from day one, constantly. If I give them a cookie, I say cookie as I give it, etc, etc..

February 27th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
I have the blaber mouth too. She has at least 20 words right now but has a friend who is 2 months older and he hardly talks but his mom does a ton of baby sign with him. Each kid will get there at some point or another.

February 27th, 2011, 03:47 PM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I find that every little one is different. Ashlynn has only been walking on her own for about a week. She will be 17mo on March 4 however she has a very large vocabulary.

Her cousin who is 2 weeks younger than she is has been walking since 8mo but doesn't have as large of a vocabulary. Her cousin also already eats with a spoon.

They just all develop in different areas at different speeds which I've heard is very normal.

She says Hi, Bye Bye, DaDa, Mama, Stop it, Side (for outside), Tree and Fy (for Butterfly which she has decals on her bedroom windows which we open together every morning (the curtains), No, Sowwy (sorry), UhOh, Yeah (instead of yes), Nigh Nigh (at bedtime), Cat (for our cats) and Ball. Those are her main words for day to day communication.

* She plays First Words Deluxe every day which she has been doing since 7mo and because of that and the repetition (she is addicted to this game) - she has a larger vocabulary & recognition of animals which she says and will tell me what they say. Because of that game she can recognize & say: Cat, Bat, Crab, Seal, Whale, Bear, Fox, Frog, Cow, Bee.

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

February 27th, 2011, 04:02 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lucy only has a few words. Mama, Daddy, bye, boo, tickle, and her latest is STOP. Usually said firmly while pointing at her sister. She babbles heaps though and often "says" what sounds like lots more words. She probably does say more than what I've listed but those are the ones she uses daily.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

February 27th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Quote:
He literally whimpers for everything like a puppy and it drives me crazy because you aren't suppose to give them what they want from a whimper or grunt.

If they grunt and point to something, you are suppose to say the word and encourage them to say it.

I talk to my girls from day one, constantly. If I give them a cookie, I say cookie as I give it, etc, etc..
That was Collin, and I've always been big on talking to the kids. Like bathtime, I'd sing, "This is the way we wash your arm/leg/belly/back/feet/neck/hair/etc. When getting milk, juice, dinner, getting dressed. Always giving everything a word and repeating repeating repeating. It just didnt work w Collin. Collin forever would just point and say ugh or eh. Like cookie, was your example. Collin wants cookie? Say coo-kie? he'd come back with ugh ugh, or ugh eh, or whatever. I was told not to push it if he was at least making a sound in return.

Now look at my baby. He serenaded his Poppy today, and my father ACTUALLY understoof the song he was singing! BIG BIG BIG Milestone here!

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
February 27th, 2011, 05:41 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We have a non-talker too.

I am trying not to be concerned...since I am guilty of the "comparing" too. Julia was saying sentences at this point and I just can't help but see the difference.

Liam says Ma-ma and Da-da. And not even that often. He makes lots of sounds (like animal noises...roar, chomp, woof, baa, quack and says "repeat phrases" nom-nom-nom). But the only *word* we heard besides ma and da is "duck" and he only said it once. But I know he understands what I say and can follow instructions.

I really think that they are just busy with some other "developmental" milestone. They just have not gotten to talking yet. Hopefully the doctor can ease your mind a bit, since I do know that it is within the normal range to not have words at this point. He might come out with sentences in a few months It is so hard not to worry though
February 27th, 2011, 06:16 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Having an older sibling can also sometimes stop a younger one talking as much as they can. I know when Jas is around Lucy doesn't say as much. She doesn't have a need too. She wants something to eat? Chances are Jassie does too and asks for both of them. When Jassie isn't around though Lucy is a little blabber mouth.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

February 27th, 2011, 09:40 PM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
Abe doesn't talk much either; he has maybe 5 consistent words. Cohen had at least 5 clear words before he was 12 months and it's definitely hard not to compare. The pediatrician said she only looks for 3 words by 18 months.

February 27th, 2011, 09:58 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
But Nicole, you'd try... They DON'T!! He points and they hand. No words or encouragement. I don't think he gets much actual interaction, just kind of is around, like a puppy. Don't get me wrong, they treat him well but they don't get down on his level and actually interact with him.

I forgot, Abby also says I you (I love you) and Here and Get you, No, and Bebe (Baby).

February 27th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Elise was talking well for awhile 10 to 15 words she knows and will still say them sometimes but has decided not to used them very often, she signs alot a has a very good signing vocab and is just now starting to say things as she signs them, yesterday she signed thank you and said thak ou as she did it

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search