Religion

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Will you raise your child with your religion?

If you do not practice one, will you raise your kids the same, or introduce many and let them choose?

Was your LO(s) baptized/christened?

My father is getting on my case *again* for not baptizing my children.

I was raised as a "holiday" catholic. (Only went to church for Xmas/Easter, and funerals.) Did CCD classes and made my first communion. Tom was baptized or whatever into the Protestant church. But now considers himself an Atheist. My views now are more along the Agnosticism beliefs, going by this definition.. "the position of a person who could not claim to know for sure if any gods exist or not."

My plan all along has been to introduce and educate the children on all sorts of religions, in turn educating myself as I only really know about Christianity. I've started with Thomas with Judaism and Christianity. We will continue to learn about as many as we can, hoping Thomas will ask to go to a service here or there. We want each of the kids to have a say in the matter, and we will support whatever they choose, and be apart of it.

My father thinks I'm doing this all wrong. I should have baptized the kids into the catholic church and then, before Confirmation, have the kids learn other religions and make the choice to either stay in the Catholic church or choose another path. And because I haven't done this my children are already ****** to hell.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
March 8th, 2011, 07:18 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not religious, wasn't raised that way. I kind of have my own "faith". I believe there are Angels and our loved ones watch over us. I do not believe in a God, per say.

I'm not offended when people pray, I'm not offended that God is in the Pledge, or on money, etc... I'm not offended when someone says Merry Christmas (I do too).
I'm very much, do as you believe.

My in-laws are pretty religious. Doesn't bother me until they are hypocritical. They ar much better than they use to be though. They use to have a fit wheh Jay was a teenager and watched movies that they claimed were messages from the devil yet they'd drink their box of wine and then drive.... Right...

I get offended when someone so religious is so against gays... really?? Doesn't God love everyone??

My favorite question is "Will you still defend that fetus when it grows up to be Gay?"

I don't believe you need to have a church or pray to have your own faith and beliefs.

March 8th, 2011, 08:17 AM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
We are Christian and are raising the boys that way. Born-again Christians do no believe in baptizing their children like Catholics do; that is a choice for the individual to make when they want to accept and proclaim Jesus as their savior.

There is so much confusion in and out of the church when it comes to Christ and homosexuals which in turn leads to hatred and that is absolutely wrong. I can share with you only what we believe (and our beliefs stem directly from what the bible says) which is that homosexuality is a sin, BUT we are ALL sinners and we should not act in hatred but in love towards all humans (even our enemies which is a hard one for me to swallow sometimes) and it is not our place to judge anyone. Christians are not perfect human beings, and those who think they are have it wrong. We sin like the rest of the population, but our trust lies in that Jesus Christ came to earth to die for OUR sins. We are forgiven in Father God's eyes because of Jesus Christ.

This is getting to be way too long of an answer, but if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them. I am very passionate about Jesus and love sharing the good news with anyone who is interested.

March 8th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I am Christian and we are going to raise our children as Christians.

They will also be baptized when they are ready to accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gr8kiddos View Post

There is so much confusion in and out of the church when it comes to Christ and homosexuals which in turn leads to hatred and that is absolutely wrong. I can share with you only what we believe (and our beliefs stem directly from what the bible says) which is that homosexuality is a sin, BUT we are ALL sinners and we should not act in hatred but in love towards all humans (even our enemies which is a hard one for me to swallow sometimes) and it is not our place to judge anyone. Christians are not perfect human beings, and those who think they are have it wrong. We sin like the rest of the population, but our trust lies in that Jesus Christ came to earth to die for OUR sins. We are forgiven in Father God's eyes because of Jesus Christ.
Well said!

March 8th, 2011, 09:30 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have to go take my oldest to his Tuesday classes, but will definitely respond when I get back.
March 8th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I am not religious for many of my own reasons although i was raised in church and it was something i decided later, Elise can go to church if she wants i would take her or find someone to take her. I have no issue with religion until people try to " save " me, i feel like i never tell anyone one they are wrong and respect there beleifts so they should equally repect mine

March 8th, 2011, 10:14 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am baptist and yes the kids will be raised as a baptist they both were dedicated to the church.

When they are older I will let them choose what they want to do but I do hope they choose the right decision.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

March 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Will you raise your child with your religion?

We're doing a combo of Catholic (me) and Jewish (DH). We're going to introduce them to the traditions that are most important to us. Ideally, I'd like them to be spiritual people, whichever way they end up leaning. It's such a hard decision to make for our kids that we haven't committed to one or the other. Maybe down the road we will be led more one way as a family.

Was your LO(s) baptized/christened?

For the Jewish tradition we did a sort of bris (naming/circumcision), but very low key. Just DH, the rabbi, the mohel, and me, not the whole family/friend party. I wasn't comfortable with that. We had him circumcised in our living room, said a blessing over him, and gave him his "intended" Jewish name, for if he ever decides to become Jewish. It's "Lev" which means heart in Hebrew. That worked out so nicely that we're going to do it again for this baby. I like that he'll know the door is open for him to join the community if he ever wants to. I still want to find something we can do that's that special for him regarding Catholicism.

I also do not agree with people using religion as an excuse to hate. Religion is something very personal and I would never bash anyone for different beliefs. Having specific religions is supposed to give one a sense of community and a place to practice their religion, not to be used as a "better than thou" sort of thing over other religions.

March 8th, 2011, 11:03 AM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
Will you raise your child with your religion? yes

Was your LO(s) baptized/christened? No we don't believe in infant baptism, our church does dedications instead. We had her dedicated this past October. Normally they do it earlier than this, but the minister left our church so it kind of got postponed until a new minister was elected.

March 8th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gr8kiddos View Post
We are Christian and are raising the boys that way. Born-again Christians do no believe in baptizing their children like Catholics do; that is a choice for the individual to make when they want to accept and proclaim Jesus as their savior.

This is getting to be way too long of an answer, but if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them. I am very passionate about Jesus and love sharing the good news with anyone who is interested.
This is what we believe as well. We go to church weekly and are raising our daughter Christian.

March 8th, 2011, 02:54 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Its not something we've really talked about yet. We got to a music class once a week at the local church and Jasmine knows that some people there believe in God. She hasn't really asked too many questions about it yet.

We do plan on introducing the girls to different religions so that they can make up their own minds and have an understanding of what other people believe.

I'm Jewish and so we do celebrate some Jewish holidays and customs.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

March 11th, 2011, 12:26 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just now getting back to this one.

Yes, I will be raising my sons in the Catholic faith. Years back after being disgusted with all if the abuse being allowed to take place and all of the changes that had been made in the actual mass I just stopped going. A few years later I found a group of traditional Roman Catholics that still celebrate the Pre-Vatican II mass. All done in Latin with all of the old traditions. I've been going ever since. I truly love the Catholic faith. I've tried attending several Protestant churches, but am always drawn back to the Catholic Church. My oldest has made his first communion and will make his confirmation next year and we had Ben baptised last June. My husband was raised Church of England, but he attends with us and even makes sure our oldest gets to mass if I have to stay home with Ben. So while I don't have a Catholic spouse I do have one that supports the faith and agrees with any children we have being raised in The Church. When I grew up Catholic in the modern day church I really had no understanding of my Faith. That is one way the Traditional Catholic church is different we are taught the beliefs AND why we believe them. When they get older if they choose to leave the church I will of course pray they choose to come back.

As far as Christianity and gays go I ditto what Hayley said. If a baby I fight to save does end of being gay I of course would love him/her. I do believe homosexuality is a sin, but I do not treat any gay people I know differently. One of my friends who is a lesbian was at my wedding. She respects my beliefs and I respect hers. I try to go by the motto 'hate the sin, not the sinner'. We're supposed to love everyone and that's a struggle, but still something we're supposed to do.
March 11th, 2011, 08:19 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Connor and I are atheists, we were raised atheist and I really dont know many people who are religious other than online. We will raise Tegan without religion in her life. If later in life she turns to religion we will do our best to support her with an open mind but I think we would struggle a bit.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search