Quick question....

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
How do measure driving distances? By miles/km or by time?

My Aunt sent me a fwd titled: "Forget Rednecks ........here is what Jeff Foxworthy has to say about New Englanders..."

And I honestly have never met anyone who measured driving distance by anything other than time, asking directions, it's never "It's about 6 miles to ___________" Instead it's always "10 minutes to ________" or whatever... sooo I was curious..

Heres the email I bolded the ones that are true in southern CT

Quote:
If your local Dairy Queen is closed from October through April , you live inNew England MOST of them, NOT all

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you live in New England. Usually at Lowes...

If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you live in New England Nope, though it is common to were hoodies and shorts in Oct/Apr.

If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you live in New England ---my mother does this ALL THE TIME.

If 'Vacation' means going anywhere south of New York City for the weekend, you live in New England . Yup....

If you measure distance in hours, you live in New England.

If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you live inNew England .

If you have switched from 'heat ' to 'A/C' in the same day and back again, you live in New England .

If you can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England Not me, but most of the men I know...

If you install security lights on your house and garage, but leave both unlocked, you live in New England . Not me, but again, know many people...

If you carry jumpers in your car and your wife knows how to use them, you live in New England .. yup

If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit, you live in New England . More around a winter coat, sweats, and a pair of jeans.

If the speed limit on the highway is 55 mph -- you're going 70 and everybody is passing you, you live in New England . The limit on most highways is 65, and unless it's rush hour no one drives below 80...

If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow, you live in New England Just noticed this today actually......

If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction, you live in New England ... So NOT true, we get ALL 4 seasons, as well as way too much road construction

If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England . .

If you find 20 degrees 'a little chilly', you live in New England

If there's a Dunkin Donuts on every corner, you live in New England 3 is actually three not even 2 minutes apart around the corner from me, ALL on the same road...

If you actually understand these jokes, and forward them to all your New England friends & others, you live in New England .

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
March 8th, 2011, 03:20 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A lot of those are true for Ohio too.
It depends on what I'm talking about as far as driving directions.
When people ask where I live, I say about 15 miles East of Cleveland.
If someone asks me how far i am from a store, I say about 5 minutes from Target or Walmart, etc..

March 8th, 2011, 03:27 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We tend to measure in time too. Unless its city to city, then its in km.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

March 8th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
I always measure EVERYTHING in time, like my kids pedi is 15 miles away (JUST learned this thank you google maps, but I always say it's a 20 minute drive, or 30 minutes in traffic...

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
March 8th, 2011, 05:21 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I measure in time as well

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

March 8th, 2011, 06:03 PM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
I'm about 50/50. If I know how many miles then I usually say that, otherwise it's always time.

March 8th, 2011, 07:56 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Around here I say how many miles. The time could vary depending on how bad traffic is that day.
March 9th, 2011, 03:04 PM
GinaS.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We measure in time too. I would have no idea how to guage distance...

And I giggled reading those...so true

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search