mr. or mrs?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2011, 11:51 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Will you teach your child to call people Mr. or Mrs. so-and-so? Or are you more causal and teach first names?

Does anyone call you Mrs./Ms/Miss currently?

Do you think that using Mr. or Mrs. is going to become less popular in this generation?

For some reason, it just seems so weird for Levi to be calling my friends Mr or Mrs and for their kids to be calling me Mrs. I like the respect that it instills, but I feel like society has become a lot less formal since I was a kid. Maybe that's just my perception or the people I'm exposed to, but I just can't picture it.

March 15th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Hmm I think it depends on the person aquatences yes but people she see often i won't make her say mr or mrs, i do think it shows respect and I want to teach her that

March 15th, 2011, 01:16 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Monica, I pretty much ditto you. I remember calling my friends parents Mrs and Mr and now I can't imagine Kayla's friends calling me Mrs!
I think the Mr and Mrs is pretty much left for teachers now.

March 15th, 2011, 01:26 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids will still say Mrs/miss or Mr. in front of the name.

I was always told it was for respect reasons.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

March 15th, 2011, 01:57 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Even tho it's weird to me for whatever reason to be called Mrs.____ I still want my son's friends to address me in that manner. It would have to be a childs very closest friend to be able to call me by my first name. I get that we live in a more relaxed society, but I don't necessarily think it's a good thing. People and children seem to have no respect for much of anything anymore. I wish we could go back to the days of properly addressing our elders.
March 15th, 2011, 03:08 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherineclare View Post
I get that we live in a more relaxed society, but I don't necessarily think it's a good thing. People and children seem to have no respect for much of anything anymore.
I totally agree!

March 15th, 2011, 03:41 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherineclare View Post
I get that we live in a more relaxed society, but I don't necessarily think it's a good thing. People and children seem to have no respect for much of anything anymore. I wish we could go back to the days of properly addressing our elders.

Acquaintances get Mr or Mrs. Our closer friends get Aunt or Uncle.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

March 15th, 2011, 10:38 PM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
Yes we have, well Cohen, say Mr. and Mrs. (insert first name). I also want them to use sir and ma'am.

I don't care what other children call me, that's up to their parents, but I think it's a form of respect to use a more formal address when speaking to an adult or someone you're not familiar with.

March 16th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
ya know, I've *never* heard of someone calling someone outside of the school system by Mr. or Mrs. Then when I went to visit Rachel, her son's friends (close to my age) all called her Miss Rachel. I loved it, and would like to instill my children call adults by their first name with a title in front of it. I like the respect it shows. We *need* more of that. I look at people between 20-30 years old, around here and VERY FEW have any kind of respect for anyone. It would be nice if our generation could change that.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
March 17th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I get called Mrs. so and so every day since I'm a teacher

We usually use the Miss (first name) for people. I think it shows respect, but also familiarity. My daughter calls her daycare providers Miss (first name). But my friends that we see a lot we just call by their first name. I guess it would depend on the age of the person.

Anyway, growing up I called my parent's friends a variety of names...aunt/uncle (not related), some by first name, and others by Mr. and Mrs. I think I just went by what they preferred.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search