Decorating with color...need your help!

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2011, 12:19 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies! As I've already mentioned over and over I'm moving, but right now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to decorate. My furniture is all black-brown color and I'm doing variations of brown rugs throut, but now gotta figure out color to add in. I'm thinking oranges...burnt oranges etc. I'm horrible at decorating and putting colors together! An interior designer I'm not lol!

Soooo, my question for you all is what color combos do you have in your house or like?? If you want you can include photos. I love looking at others designs for inspiration. No pics is cool too! Just describe what you have OR what you like

Thanks in advance girls!! I love homey design stuff but when I go to do it I stand in the stores with a big question mark on my head!
March 16th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I have a lot of browns and tans in my house i have this rug and another one with the same colors in stripes in our living area i think these colors would look nice

And in elise's room we have brown, tan, light blue and dark blue, here is a pic so you can see the colors, it is messy and the dresser is going to her new room

Last edited by natty; March 16th, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
March 16th, 2011, 12:38 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With blacks and browns you can do any accent color. A blue, orange, red, green, yellow or even a little pink would all go really well.

March 16th, 2011, 01:56 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Considering we have beige furniture and white walls, I am no help with color.

I do like the idea of browns with burnt orange.
March 16th, 2011, 02:29 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Almost any colour will work with brown.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

March 16th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
My sister has all chocolate brown and a soft blue..

took some time with google images and these are some items she has:

these are on her dark brown suede couch and love seat

(something like this on her dinner table, only the table is a dark brown)

almost identical, but the brown is a lot darker:

Then she also has these wooden square plaques with Live Laugh Love on each one, then a few more with swirl type designs.. It all looks very nice together and her 2 year old doesn't bother anything

We have nothing, the tv stand, then one next to it, our desk and end tables in the LR are all black with chrome and grey. Couch is a hand me down from my parent's who got it from some old lady 12 or so years ago.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]

Last edited by MommaDucks; March 16th, 2011 at 06:20 PM.
March 16th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the advice ladies!!!

Natty- I love that rug you have with the circles!! Very pretty!!

Jennifer-sounds like you need a brown intervention like me LOL! I have always played it safe and was scared of color. The most I have ever added was some red in the kitchen and a couple of red pillows. All joking aside I'm sure your room is great! I have seen some gorgeous brown rooms online. It is a very balancing grounding color so it's supposed to help the nerves!

Nicole- you totally didnt have to go hunting for pics! I appreciate it tho. I like those pillows!! Very pretty. If I didn't already have a bedspread I would love to do that blue in my bedroom. Maybe next time around. I think it would make the room really romantic.

Last edited by catherineclare; March 16th, 2011 at 08:59 PM.
March 16th, 2011, 10:17 PM
** Tay **'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
White is super popular right now for touches of color... really helps to brighten a room up... I just redid my fireplace and added a white board and batten wall around it.... REALLY opened up and brightened the room.... made it feel HUGE!

Heres my BEFORE pic.... But it shows the rug with all my colors

and after ( still not totally done)

This one shows my orange/rust wall ( ignore the ugly sconce and greenery on the wall... I was visualizing what I wanted there... this DID NOT WIN. haha

I also do browns in my house... I have a rust colored focal wall in my living room, and lots of cream, khaki and shades of blue as well... Love it My furniture is all browns ( espresso furniture, and cream and tan sofa/love

I also do a lot of this color green too though... Geez, Guess Im not help... I do EVERY color!!

March 16th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks Tay!!! I was hoping you'd answer! Your house is beautiful. I love all the white and all of the colors! I've been searching online for ideas...I see so much I like. Some very creative folks out there. Let me ask you this: try to visualize. I have black-brown furniture including the couches but the rug I chose has chocolate brown, beige and creme in it. I have decided on definitely doing the orange accents, but should I do creme curtains or orange??? I am thinking the orange might be overkill but the creme would brighten up the room?
March 17th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
I would do a creme, w/ an the orange border on it, or valance over the top so you have the pop, but it's not over kill...

*or* orange tie backs.....

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
March 17th, 2011, 08:24 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Nicole. DO cream, it's a safer bet incase you want to change anything later add a little pop of orange with tie backs or a valance.

I also love doing one wall a bold color. It gives color and brightens without over kill of color.

March 17th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Oooh Nicole orange tie backs would look good!! I hadn't even thought of that!!

Paula- I would totally love to paint, but since we're renting I can't .

Can't wait until we can buy our own home, but $400,000+ is a little steep right now lol! What's annoying is we're paying in rent what my friends back east are paying for a mortgage. In some cases they're paying less. It's frustrating, but I try not to think about it.
March 17th, 2011, 04:55 PM
^^ Thats EXACTLY what I was thinking... orange edging or tiebacks on cream curtains...

OR
How do you feel about stripes? Ive seen some REALLY SUPER cute striped curtains that would look pretty orange and cream...

went to go find the ones I was thinking of...

March 17th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Jennifer0911's Avatar Mommy of 2 Adorable Girls
Send a message via Yahoo to Jennifer0911
I wish I could help you! I'm horrible at decorating!
Tay.......... Come decorate my house, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check Out My Blog!!

3-13 @ 14 weeks
March 17th, 2011, 05:57 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sage green, soft gold, or the light blue pictured above would look great with dark brown!

We will be getting chocolate brown curtains for our great room once we move, to go with tan sofas and this area rug which I am in love with:

I also love this- considering it for attached dining area.

March 17th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Ooh, I totally love the 2nd one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthasMommy09 View Post
I wish I could help you! I'm horrible at decorating!
Tay.......... Come decorate my house, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ha, Id totally help ya if I were close Im sure the girls would have a blast playing....

March 17th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I can't sew unfortunately. My mom is coming in a week after we move so she's gonna help me hang them etc. I loved that 2nd fabric tho!

Hugo&Sergiosmom- I really like those rugs!!! I was having trouble finding rugs to go for the same thing living room that extends to the dining room. Finally found a block shag with chocolate brown, creme and beige that is really soft. Then just doing a plain beige for dining area. It's am easy to clean rug which is what we need right now with Ben the spiller!

Tay-I love all of the pics you've put up! You totally have a knack for design!! Ever considered it as a career??

Samantha'smommy-I'm with u on the horrible decorating thing. I'm always worried about messing it up and it looking awful.
March 18th, 2011, 10:22 AM
you can totally cheat your way through curtains... I saw a blog where a lady used a glue gun for hers and they looked fab!

Go check out the fabric store and see if anything grabs ya!

FOUND IT!
The Stories of A to Z: Curtain Panels for my Breakfast Nook {how to make curtains}l

Last edited by ** Tay **; March 18th, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
March 18th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
How cool Tay, i am so picky about curtains i always make them and at joanns if you sign up with them you get tons of great coupons for fabric too. And if ben ISA huge mess maker you should put a clear chair mat under his chair that way it is not an eye sore but wayyy easier to clean, Elise is a huge messmaker too

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search