Embarrassing??

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2011, 06:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
When you were younger, did you find your parents embarrassing?
Do you ever wonder if your child is embarrassed by you? Or if they will be?

When Thomas got onto the bus this morning he waved to me out the window and I blew a kiss to him which immediately had me thinking of how humiliated I was at that age when my mom hugged or kissed me near/in the school..

I look at how I dress compared to most of the other parents in the dr's office or at the school, or anywhere really, and feel awfully panicky. It's like I want to go on a whole shopping spree and start doing my hair and wearing a bit of make up more often, just so I don't embarrass my kids. I mean, I remember being so upset that my mom was always in straight leg, high rise, tight faded jeans and sweatshirt, with her hair just down, but not done, and never had make up on. I know, I was dumb but it did bother me, and I was made fun of for it. I remember being made fun of because of my dad's "hippy" hair and "hulk hogan" mustache. It didn't stop bothering me until my sophomore year...

Anyway, thinking all of this has me wondering, is this just going to happen no matter what I do to try and prevent it? Can't I just raise my children would good morals so this type of thing doesn't bother them? The last thing I want is to be the mom whose kids pretend she's not theirs.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
March 21st, 2011, 06:32 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When you were younger, did you find your parents embarrassing? Nope, I never went through that. All my friends thought my parents were so cool. Annoying at times yes, embarrassing no

Sometimes I do, but more I wonder what type of MIL I'll be. Two boys... this isn't looking good for me. I think I'm destined to become all the things I hate about my MIL .

March 21st, 2011, 09:54 AM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
When you were younger, did you find your parents embarrassing?
Yes, but because my dad has a nasty temper and was always mean to me. My mom didn't embarrass me too much.
No idea if they are now, but I think I will give them a good amount of space in public and only smother them at home

March 21st, 2011, 12:10 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nicole-honestly I think you can raise your children great with all kinds of morals and everything else, but you can't ever take that kind if embarrassment away. Does that make sense. Even if they don't notice things, other kids do and are very quick to point them out. They can try and try not to be embarrassed, but if someone is teasing them about it they won't be able to control that. Doesn't mean they're bad or lacking morals it's just hard to be teased for things beyond your control. I hope that makes sense.

I don't think my oldest is embarrassed. If he is it's over me saying I love you or whatever in public. I'm good tho, I respect his need to be a guy around his friends. At home tho he's affectionate . We have a great relationship.

When I became a mom I changed a lot about my appearance. I didn't turn into a frump over night or anything, but I definitely became more aware of what I put on. I do NOT ever have cleavage hanging out. I don't even wear things that show much leg above my knee. Ive had people say 'why don't u wear this, it would be so cute on you?', but I won't because of the kids. I try very hard to dress age appropriate. Im not a frump, but I try to look polished. I never wanna be that mom with boobs hanging out and a super short skirt on. That would embarrass my oldest, a lot. I want my sons to be proud and not ever hide or pretend they don't belong to us. Yeah sometimes it's a pain in the butt cause I don't want to put makeup on or do my hair, but I do it for them.
March 21st, 2011, 12:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
When you were younger, did you find your parents embarrassing? Yes my dad also had a nasty tepmer and dressed terribly my mom was out out the picture

Do you ever wonder if your child is embarrassed by you? I am sure she will bw at some point i figure that is a part of being a kid

March 21st, 2011, 05:52 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I still find my mother embarrassing now.

Isn't is a part of being a parent to embarrass your kids in some way?

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search