Your last name?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2011, 06:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Did anyone here keep their last name when married?
If you are not married, will you take your future husbands last name?
Anyone here *miss* their maiden name?

I took Tom's due to it sounding more adult than my maiden name. I have no shame, so I will post it, but my maiden name was "Lalla" sounding exactly how most think, "La La".

Before middle school I hated it, then it became a nickname and I became attached. Randomly I'll have someone call it out to me when in the store or at a carnival or the like and it's always someone I went to high school with.

Anyway, now that it is happening less and less, I've started to really miss my maiden name and fun nick name.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
March 21st, 2011, 07:05 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lalla is a very cute last name! I've never heard it.

I have kept mine, but not really by choice. I just haven't gotten around to getting it changed ... maybe I'm putting it off.

I have an irrational fear about getting a new last name... I've always loved mine. It's very Irish, which is a part of who I am. I've always thought it was very cool that I'm 100% of a nationality. DH's name is SO generic. He doesn't know where his ancestors are from, since they Americanized their name when they came to the US.

I feel like it will change part of me. Plus the thought of having the same grown up title as my MIL scares the CRAP out of me.

March 21st, 2011, 08:14 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I changed mine. It's just my opinion that it's the respectful thing to do. It's traditional to take your husbands last name and I couldn't imagine not.

Especially if you have kids, how do you do that? Do you have a different last name, hyphen, or what? Just seems odd to me.
DH would have been so offended if I wanted to keep my name.

But I also hated my maiden name. My Mom was remarried, so all it was, was a reminder of my father. :/

If Jay and I were ever to divorce, I'd keep him name so it'd be the same as my children.

March 21st, 2011, 08:16 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Took hubby's name. Apparently it's Irish and silly me didn't even know it till last week lol. It's sounds cooler when he says it tho since he has an Aussie accent.

Don't miss my maiden name at all. I was really proud to take his name
March 21st, 2011, 10:07 AM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
Did anyone here keep their last name when married? No, but I DID NOT want to take his at all.

Anyone here *miss* their maiden name? i don't miss my maiden name, but i hate his last name. it ties me to his family who i cannot stand

For a while we considered both changing our last name, but couldn't figure out what we'd use Not to mention that's kind of weird...

March 21st, 2011, 10:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Did anyone here keep their last name when married?nope
If you are not married, will you take your future husbands last name?
Anyone here *miss* their maiden name? Only because it made my initials NO.

March 21st, 2011, 10:54 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Paula~ View Post
If Jay and I were ever to divorce, I'd keep him name so it'd be the same as my children.
That's part of the reason I need to get on changing mine. I don't like not having the same last name as Levi!

March 21st, 2011, 11:52 AM
Monica, they didn't give you the paper to sign to change it when you got your marriage license?
I did mine all the same day, signed the license and signed the name change.

March 21st, 2011, 11:55 AM
Every state must be different, they didn't give me any name change papers when we got our license.
March 21st, 2011, 12:03 PM
Hmm, that's weird. We were married in Florida. But maybe it was because we eloped? I don't know.

March 21st, 2011, 12:15 PM
I think the marriage laws are different in each state. Like some states require blood tests, others don't. I think some states require 24 hour wait etc. All they gave us was our license which we had the pastor and witnesses sign. Then we took that back to the license dept and they stamped it and that was that.
March 21st, 2011, 12:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Paula~ View Post
Hmm, that's weird. We were married in Florida. But maybe it was because we eloped? I don't know.
I did too and they didn't do that for me, I had to wait for my marriage certificate in the mail and en take it down to the social security office to get a new card then again i got married in ca they make every thing hard

March 21st, 2011, 12:44 PM
I mailed my ss paper and they mailed me a new card.

Oh and I meant to post it before but Nicole, my name was worse. My maiden name is Burr. I was always cold too, so you can just imagine the jokes.

March 21st, 2011, 01:49 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I changed to hubby's last name. My maiden name ended in "shni" Nobody's name should end in shni!
March 21st, 2011, 01:55 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I changed mine. Not sure I really cared if I did or not. My maiden name was hard to pronounce and now so is my married name. Its not said how it looks. Not by a long shot.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

Tags
gtky , qotd

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search